Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2021, 07:26 PM   #15

I just re-installed my cylinders today after having them rebuilt last week. I was charged 365 per cylinder (total $1460) by a local hydraulic shop. I had to call around a bit before I found a shop that sounded like they understood what they were taking on. The reason this rebuild gets as costly is due to the cylinders having welded caps.

I purchased my coach (barely)used and noticed at least two of the cylinders were leaking so I figured better to get them all done at once.

I'm glad I found this thread though. While all the jacks are going up and down now, I need to learn the system operation should better and find parts if necessary.

I have a 2008 Itasca Latitude 39' Cummins
tumbeiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2021, 07:01 AM   #16

Yes I do have an update. I apologize for not updating this thread. Custom cylinders rebuilt the jack and it fixed the problem. Unfortunately, during my optest, I believe I have another cylinder failing now. I didn't feel like dealing with it, so when I open up for the spring I will check them all again. I think I will buy one new cylinder and if I need to replace one, put the new one in and send the failed one back to Custom Cylinders for a rebuild so I always have one good jack ready to go. Eventually when I decide to go with another RV, I should be able to see the good one no problem.
Astontibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 09:15 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumbeiro View Post
I just re-installed my cylinders today after having them rebuilt last week. I was charged 365 per cylinder (total $1460) by a local hydraulic shop. I had to call around a bit before I found a shop that sounded like they understood what they were taking on. The reason this rebuild gets as costly is due to the cylinders having welded caps.

I purchased my coach (barely)used and noticed at least two of the cylinders were leaking so I figured better to get them all done at once.

I'm glad I found this thread though. While all the jacks are going up and down now, I need to learn the system operation should better and find parts if necessary.

I have a 2008 Itasca Latitude 39' Cummins
Could you share the shop that did your rebuild?

We are in SW FL and have several Level Best 3000 jacks that have started leaking recently and hoping to rebuild. Headed through KY this summer (hopefully) so considering a stop at Custom Cylinders to rebuild, but another shop that has rebuilt successfully would be good to know.

Thanks
Gotlost33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 11:13 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlost33 View Post
Could you share the shop that did your rebuild?

We are in SW FL and have several Level Best 3000 jacks that have started leaking recently and hoping to rebuild. Headed through KY this summer (hopefully) so considering a stop at Custom Cylinders to rebuild, but another shop that has rebuilt successfully would be good to know.

Thanks
HMS Hydraulic Machine Service https://hydraulicmachineservice.com/ rebuilt them. I spoke with Nick at 954-699-6545. He was very friendly an upfront with the whole process. They took about 1 week and half to do the work.. Please keep us posted.
Old 02-19-2021, 06:08 AM   #19

This is all good info. I am thinking we should ask for a sticky on this forum with a list of places willing and a able to rebuild these cylinders.
Old 02-19-2021, 06:43 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astontibs View Post
This is all good info. I am thinking we should ask for a sticky on this forum with a list of places willing and a able to rebuild these cylinders.
I agree.
Replacing those jacks is cost prohibitive.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 09:49 AM   #21

Appreciate the extra shop recommendation.

I don't see anything in the manual, but anything I should be aware of or other recommendations when removing these jacks to get them repaired or when reinstalling?

Will the system need to be bled when reconnected?
Old 02-25-2021, 11:47 PM   #22

Quote:
Appreciate the extra shop recommendation.

I don't see anything in the manual, but anything I should be aware of or other recommendations when removing these jacks to get them repaired or when reinstalling?

Will the system need to be bled when reconnected?
I had no problems replacing all 4 of mine myself. To keep from losing excess fluid, I made sure to cap the flared ends of the tubing that I disconnected from the jacks. After I reinstalled the new jacks, I checked the main reservoir to make sure was at the proper level. Cycling the jacks a time or two purged the small amount of air that got in.

Here's a link that'll help:

Kwikee Service Guide
Old 02-26-2021, 06:14 AM   #23

I want to parrot everything Mudfrog said.
Capping the lines greatly minimizes air getting into the system. Make sure jacks are fully retracted when capping.
If you have multiple mounting holes, make sure you mark the correct holes. I installed mine one hole off the first time.
I recommend doing the job on blacktop or concrete and using a hydraulic floor jack to lower/lift the jack into position.
Once removed from the coach, an impact gun will be needed to remove the foot.
Remove as much extraneous fittings, electrical leads from the cylinder as possible to reduce weight and footprint (Shipping these cylinders is not cheap).
To ship, if you don't already have a shipping crate. Bolt the cylinder to some plywood and build a cage around the cylinder with wood that fits the box you have and prevents cylinder movement. Try to find a box with thick walls. I used one that was used to ship meat.
Old 02-26-2021, 09:56 AM   #24

Thanks for the extra details. As far as capping the hydraulic lines - is this a standard size or where did you obtain the appropriate size caps?
Old 02-26-2021, 10:11 PM   #25

Quote:
Thanks for the extra details. As far as capping the hydraulic lines - is this a standard size or where did you obtain the appropriate size caps?
I believe it is a standard fitting but I don't remember what size.

On mine, I ordered and had the new cylinders in hand when I replaced. Because I'm a cheapskate and I knew it wouldn't take long to get things back together (did one jack at a time), I plugged the upper and lower lines with sharpened pencils. Gave each a slight twist as I pushed it in and let friction hold it in place. I was careful to push it in straight and not break anything off inside the tubing.
Old 02-26-2021, 10:45 PM   #26

This was my experience. It may have been a little messy but I was just trying to ensure as much of the air was out of the system as well. Keep in mind, I had two different opinions from folks that work hydraulic systems. I went with the one that seemed more familiar to me.

Once i had everything mounted and back in place, I reconnected the hoses to "hand tight". I did this with the intent that if i have a full reservoir, cycling the jack up and down, the pump would push the air out of the lines then start to leak fluid once the air was out. Once i saw that all fittings had properly bled out all the air, i tightened all the hose fittings. next i checked the reservoir again and added fluid as needed. I then cycled the system up and down a few more times to ensure all the jacks went up and down. After a few runs, they were all pretty much in sync extending and retracting. lastly, i cleaned up the mess and extended all the jacks and allowed the coach to sit for a couple days just to ensure nothing was leaking with a full load of the coach. this worked for me.

The other opinion, which i decided not to go with, was to just put everything back to together and to cycle the system up and down allowing the air to bleed out on its own - always ensuring the reservoir was full. While this might have done the job and been less messy, i didn't feel as comfortable doing it.

I hope this helps.

The next thing i haven't had a chance to do, is set the level state of the system. from the manual's instructions, this doesn't seem to be a big to do. I'll get around to it soon enough
Old 02-27-2021, 09:37 AM   #27

I originally planned on capping the lines but never got around to finding the fittings. Instead I just taped a piece of rag over the opening to keep dirt out and pointed the end of the hose up and higher than the hose itself to minimize the amount of fluid that would run out. I had a cup handy when removing the hose from cylinder in case a lot came out but as I recall it wasn't that bad. For bleeding, the instructions I had said the system is "self bleeding" so just need to connect hoses, fill tank, and run it up and down several times. While doing this need to check and top off fluid each time while jacks in the up position.
Old 03-01-2021, 07:25 AM   #28

If you buy the fittings, they are 3/8" 37 degree flare plugs. They cost about a dollar each.

Tags
kwikee