Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2006, 07:19 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

I have Kwikee model 32 steps on my motorhome. All was wonderful until about a week ago. I charged the chassis battery. Now the steps go in and out with the door, as they should when the step switch is on, but the switch is off. The only way I can keep the steps extended is to remove the magnet from the door. (so apparently the magnetic switch is working fine).

When I charged the battery I disconnected the neg. cable but not the positive. Could charging the battery have done some damage to the controller for the step?

The step still works fine except as above. Even with the magnet removed the step will retract when starting the engine. I assume that the ignition override works good. I am open to any and all suggestions to get the step working correctly again.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 07:19 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I have Kwikee model 32 steps on my motorhome. All was wonderful until about a week ago. I charged the chassis battery. Now the steps go in and out with the door, as they should when the step switch is on, but the switch is off. The only way I can keep the steps extended is to remove the magnet from the door. (so apparently the magnetic switch is working fine).

When I charged the battery I disconnected the neg. cable but not the positive. Could charging the battery have done some damage to the controller for the step?

The step still works fine except as above. Even with the magnet removed the step will retract when starting the engine. I assume that the ignition override works good. I am open to any and all suggestions to get the step working correctly again.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:10 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Check the STEP SWITCH????
Disconnect power again???
Do something!!TENN.
Old 06-04-2006, 04:31 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

One more try;

I have tested the switch. There is power to the switch and the switch is working properly. Surely someone here has had to do some trouble shooting on these steps. How 'bout it, there must be a Kwikee Step expert here somewhere?
Old 06-04-2006, 11:34 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kazoo Tom:
One more try;

I have tested the switch. There is power to the switch and the switch is working properly. Surely someone here has had to do some trouble shooting on these steps. How 'bout it, there must be a Kwikee Step expert here somewhere? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tom,

No expert here but you might try putting the switch in the opposite position that it was in when you disconnected the negative cable on the chassis battery and then disconnect the battery again, wait a few minutes to discharge any residual electricity from the steps logic board and then reconnect the battery. It could just be that the position of the switch confused things when you reconnected the last time. Start with the simple things and hope for the best.

Regards,
Old 06-05-2006, 03:06 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Thanks Neil V, I'll give it a try. Certainly can't hurt anything. At least the steps do retract, guess that is better that having them stuck in the extended position.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:57 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Did you check and make sure your ignition key is not over to accessories. If it is the steps will not shut off. Just a thought.

Bob
rjwdzw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 06:03 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Tom,
My manual lists a technical assistance number at Kwikee as 800-736-9961. Says to call if you have questions or need technical assistance. Worth a shot.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 06:26 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

The ignition switch is in the off position with the key out of the ignition. I guess I will have to break down and give Kwikee a call. I was hoping someone on here would have a good suggestion for me. I've found the people here are often times more knowledable than the techs at some of the companies.