Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2021, 03:47 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Kwikee Steps - Stutter at open and close

2001 Winnebago Adventurer 32v

My steps have been working perfectly since I replaced the Motor.
Recently when the steps complete the "in" or "out" cycle, there is a clicking sound and the steps seem to 'jerk' for about 5-6 times before the cycle stops.

I have removed the complete step assembly (motor and gear set) and checked all of the gears, especially the worm gear in the motor.
ALL are perfect.
Seems like the resistance that stops the motor is NOT being sensed by the motor and the steps try to continue to close or open, depending on the cycle.

I am wondering if I have a Controller that is going bad. Not sure how this works but is the only other thing in the loop that I can think of.

All other 'open' and 'close' sensors are working perfectly. (door, motor running, etc.)

Any advice as where to look next would be appreciated.
Thanks.
winnie32v is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2021, 04:06 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Does it do it with the RV engine running as well? The controller is looking for the high current that occurs when the motor load goes up (full open or close). My coach had a problem with bad contact resistance on the step 12 volt power. Would only work incorrectly when on battery. Engine running gave them ad addition volt or so and worked perfectly.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 04:30 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbrownstein View Post
Does it do it with the RV engine running as well? The controller is looking for the high current that occurs when the motor load goes up (full open or close). My coach had a problem with bad contact resistance on the step 12 volt power. Would only work incorrectly when on battery. Engine running gave them ad addition volt or so and worked perfectly.
Yes, also does this when motor is running.
My batteries are on shore power and/or solar and and fully charged.

Seems like the fact that the steps are fully closed OR open is not being readily detected and the steps are 'trying' to complete the cycle.
After about 5-6 additional try's, the cycle stops.
winnie32v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 04:33 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Then I don't see anything else it could be but the controller.

Expensive experiment!

Might try before: https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd_0001628.pdf
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 04:47 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
You could try disconnecting the motor from the module. Then place power to the motor directly with jumper wires. I did this several times using my toad battery, jumper cables, and two jumper wires attached to the end of the jumper cables.

If you do this be very careful to keep any part of your body away from the steps. As soon as you connect those two wires, the step will move.
pduggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 05:28 AM   #6

I am having the same exact problem with my steps on my Breeze. I have disconnected power, lubed the hell out of it, and I might have kicked it once or twice….still stutters. I will be following for a solution.
Hpozzuoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 07:41 PM   #7

If mechanics are all good and as mentioned motor assembly has checked out ok then I think you're right with the control module being the probable cause, however as I suggest many times it may be worth contacting Kwikee tech support I'm sure they would be familiar with this problem. My thoughts would be the module reacts to the increased amp draw as steps reach its stop position which intern drops voltage to the motor.
Good Luck
Onebrit
onebrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 06:27 PM   #8

I just replaced my Kwikee step motor. Power steps worked great on 1st 3 day camping trip! We’re on our 2nd trip this month! Stopped at grocery store, and steps wouldn’t retract! I tried turning off the coach main power for 5 minutes, Nothing! I took the bolt out of the linkage from the gear set to the step shaft & zip tied the steps up! While here at the campground, I was troubleshooting & found that my screen door magnet had moved a bit & the door sensor switch inside the door frame had moved. I adjusted both & BAM, steps work! So, check your door switch FIRST!
ChrisSupple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 06:43 PM   #9

Looks like mine are dead now. Went from a stutter to nothing...stuck out. I am on my last trip as I type so stuck out isnt the end of the world. I will head home tomm and debate winterize or do one more. Either way I need to address this step.
Hpozzuoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 01:06 PM   #10

I too, am following this thread. Mine hesitate, some times for a few seconds or a couple of minutes. One time, I entered the coach (2002 HR Ambassador) and shut the door and the steps retracted. Upon starting the engine, the steps went out. I opened the door several times and they came back in.

When they retract they do hesitate half way through the cycle. Every thing is well lubricated.

I will follow to how things turn out for the OP.

Orrin
Orrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 07:01 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I had this exact same problem with the steps on our 2013 Itasca Meridian 34B. I had replaced the step motor in April, and less than six months later this “stuttering” problem developed. Replaced the controller and door sensor switch to no avail. New motor fixed the problem. Contacted the seller and they agreed to replace the motor if I sent it to them.
HawkeyeinNV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 10:45 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I also had this problem after mechanic replaced the motor. There is a pin that inserts into the drive gear on the motor and fits into a hole on the gear box to keep it tightly engaged with the driven gear in the gear box. My mechanic didn't put the pin back. Started skipping and jerking. Thought the gear had stripped. New gearbox came with drive gear for motor and pin. Works great now with the pin installed.
Good luck
Dan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 08:47 PM   #13

When they start skipping its usually the three plastic rollers inside the gear that are failing. This can often be because the controller is not getting a good ground or amperage reading from the motor so its not shutting off soon enough.

These plastic rollers are designed to fail on overload to help prevent burning out the motors and there will be no outside indication that they have failed since the teeth on the plastic gear will usually be intact.

You can match up the gear and rollers from a Doorman Window Motor Kit for some Ford Vehicles. I do not remember the exact model however the step motor is a fairly common $25 to $35 power window motor.

Old Yesterday, 08:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSupple View Post
I just replaced my Kwikee step motor. Power steps worked great on 1st 3 day camping trip! We’re on our 2nd trip this month! Stopped at grocery store, and steps wouldn’t retract! I tried turning off the coach main power for 5 minutes, Nothing! I took the bolt out of the linkage from the gear set to the step shaft & zip tied the steps up! While here at the campground, I was troubleshooting & found that my screen door magnet had moved a bit & the door sensor switch inside the door frame had moved. I adjusted both & BAM, steps work! So, check your door switch FIRST!
That happened to my steps last weekend. I repositioned the magnetic switch(mounting screws were only into the carpeting on the wall) and WALA!
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kwikee, steps