Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2018, 02:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hgrace56 View Post
Best stay away from Southern California if you can't deal with this. Forget about construction this happens at virtually every interchange across the state. If you're in a hurry Drive in the middle of the night. Maybe you'll see fewer cars. Probably not in Los Angeles but elsewhere

Sent from my SM-G935P using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Good point.
I'll add avoid the 401 across the top of Toronto, ON Canada too, for the same reasons. There aren't any campgrounds along there anyways, so it's best to avoid transiting it except middle of the night. It's so bad, they added what they thought was going to be an alternate high speed route, the 407ETR, but it's now become a road where people actually pay, to sit in stop and go traffic on bad days.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2018, 04:15 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We should all learn to use the Zipper Merge procedure.

Countless studies and years of experience in Germany have proven it is the most efficient and safest way to handle a merge situation.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 04:28 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
We should all learn to use the Zipper Merge procedure.

Countless studies and years of experience in Germany have proven it is the most efficient and safest way to handle a merge situation.
I'm with Bob and many entities tasked with traffic flow on this one. However as the majority those responding have shown it's probably always going to cause anger issues until the driving public is better educated on the issue and able to accept and use the zipper merge.

Happy Trails,
Al
Old 06-30-2018, 04:40 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by atodalen View Post
I'm with Bob and many entities tasked with traffic flow on this one. However as the majority those responding have shown it's probably always going to cause anger issues until the driving public is better educated on the issue and able to accept and use the zipper merge.

Happy Trails,
Al
Ok I'll bite, how many is many, name six entities tasked with traffic flow.

Oh give me a break, the zipper will occur, the tanker truck just said it occurs HERE. You got ahead of everyone till the tanker, be satisfied about that. The only ones being held up are the ones you pass going to the front. Just get in line and wait like everyone else.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 04:45 PM   #19

I was an LEO for 30 years. Never heard of a zipper merging law. Could the OP cite his source please?
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 04:48 PM   #20

Zipper merges and many other courtesy procedures will not work in America because we have too many special people driving. We can't handle traffic circles which are magnificent in Europe and a disaster here.

Truckers pacing traffic coming to a merge is a good thing. When we were pulling the Travel Supreme fifth-wheel with a Volvo tractor, we often joined in with another truck to pace traffic. Then right before the merge, one of use lets the other in.

But special people are too important to be do the smart thing..
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 05:02 PM   #21

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hgrace56 View Post
Best stay away from Southern California if you can't deal with this. Forget about construction this happens at virtually every interchange across the state. If you're in a hurry Drive in the middle of the night. Maybe you'll see fewer cars. Probably not in Los Angeles but elsewhere

Sent from my SM-G935P using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Yep...plenty of auto body shops in So Cal to take care of the Moses peeps.
Then there are the peeps behind you, that when merging onto the freeway or highway from an on-ramp, that speedup and jerk their vehicle over to the left to beat you into the merge lane. Happens all the time here.

I've learned to shake my head an let them be the stressed drivers.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 05:08 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
Ok I'll bite, how many is many, name six entities tasked with traffic flow.

Oh give me a break, the zipper will occur, the tanker truck just said it occurs HERE. You got ahead of everyone till the tanker, be satisfied about that. The only ones being held up are the ones you pass going to the front. Just get in line and wait like everyone else.
TonyMac, don't get your undies in a bunch. I didn't say that I practice the zipper merge but I do agree with it's logic. Too many crazies out there for me to put my family at risk. I understand that it's not a commonly accepted practice and feel as you do when someone passes in the open lane. However, that doesn't prevent me from accepting the fact that it has merits.
Zipper merge link: LMGTFY
Old 06-30-2018, 05:13 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Just got back from a trip from Chicago suburbs to Ithaca NY. At almost all construction zones as soon as there was a sign lane closed x miles ahead, almost everyone moved over to open lane and traffic proceeded at or above posted speed. whenever someone decided to wait to last minute, everyone had to slow down to let the VIP in.

On past trips, I have seen the guy who wanted to wait until last minute to merge get pulled over by either IN or OH state police.
Romer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 05:25 PM   #24

Several years ago, i think it was in PA, along with the lane closure sign was another sign that said use both lanes until the closure. They were trying to make the zipper merge work.
ageishecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 05:31 PM   #25
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Some posts are stepping precariously near violating our Be Courteous! rule. Please discuss the issue & don't bash each other.

Thank you,
Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 05:39 PM   #26

Years ago when I was driving truck, I had a run where I delivered in Baltimore md, then had to run across I70, to Frederick Md, to pick up a load. One summer, they had construction on a small bridge about 1/2 way. The signs were like left lane closed 5 miles ahead, merge right. Then a bit later, left lane close 3 miles ahead, merge right now. and a few more until you got to the construction. Traffic flowed smoothly, with hardly any slowdown. a few months later, When they switched lanes, the signs said right lane closed 5 miles ahead, use both lanes to lane closure. then right lane close 3 miles ahead, use both lanes to lane closure. Traffic changed from flowing smoothly, to both lanes backed up for miles. it was that way every day, and my company had to get another driver to make the pickup, because I could no longer get to the pickup point before they closed. They ended up having to change several drivers runs, because of me not being able to make the pickup. I had a 53 foot trailer, so I could not just find another way around the construction. Cost me several hundred dollars a week, in lost pay. I ended up leaving that company, all because of the change in traffic merging.

Traffic flows best, if people move to the open lane as soon as they can, instead of flying up to the lane closure. When you do that, the traffic in the open lane has to slow down to let the other traffic in, which slows it down for everyone. Of course, the construction folks like it, as traffic goes past them slower, and they feel safer.

Yes, many sings now say to use both lanes to the lane closure point, but that is to slow everyone down. They do not care about traffic flow.

Flying up past all the traffic that has already merged, is legal in some states, but not morally right anywhere.
Old 06-30-2018, 06:04 PM   #27

Forest River Owners Club
If both lanes remain full until merge point (zipper method), nobody has to get their undies in a twist because "he's passing me and didn't wait his turn". If everyone tries to merge early, it makes poor use of the available road and increases everyone's frustration.

I deal with the latter on a daily basis, however experienced the former on our way home from a week camping trip pulling our trailer. Frankly, I think the zipper makes sense, and is fair to all with a lot less chance for road rage. My 2 cents, which lately are worth less...
Old 06-30-2018, 06:24 PM   #28

Entegra Owners Club
The zipper merge requires that everyone be courteous and cooperate with each other.

Fat chance!
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote