Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2020, 08:38 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Large slide on driver's side would not fully retract

When leaving our last campground, the large slide on the driver's side would not fully retract. It did come in about 3/4 of the way then just stopped. Pressing the in button did nothing more.

I then put the slide out (I know I am to suppose to change directions but I felt lie I was stuck) and the slide fully extended. I brought it back in and it did the same thing, stopping about 3/4 of the way in.

Because the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results I ran the slide out and back in again. This time it came all the way in as it should.

The slide has never been an issue before, engine was running.

I'm a little frightened to see what happens when we go to leave this camp site on Saturday.

Has anyone seen this type of thing before? If so what was the cause?
Blog: bailey18.com
AllanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2020, 08:48 AM   #2

My slide had the same issue but on the way out. It would stop and we'd have to jockey it in and out and give a little push for it to fully extend.

This past year we were going west and passing through Indiana so we made an appointment at Lippert (LCI), who makes most of the slides now, to have the slide serviced. They replaced one of the motors and all was good. We actually used it for almost 2 years with the in-out-in-out push button method before getting it serviced.

What type of slide may make a difference. Ours is the FLS/RPE Digi-Sync slide system which has some rams under the slide not the newer style with the track on the side of the slide. The service wasn't cheap (well, by RV standard maybe it wasn't) at about $1500 but it was a 1-day fix. We dropped the RV off at their facility in the morning and paid/drove off in the afternoon so the conveninece of a 1-day fix may be worth the trip to see them. They will also send techs out to you if that works, but then parts may delay the fix. We did make the appointment about 2 months in advance.
Old 02-27-2020, 02:37 PM   #3

Onebrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomB View Post
My slide had the same issue but on the way out. It would stop and we'd have to jockey it in and out and give a little push for it to fully extend.

This past year we were going west and passing through Indiana so we made an appointment at Lippert (LCI), who makes most of the slides now, to have the slide serviced. They replaced one of the motors and all was good. We actually used it for almost 2 years with the in-out-in-out push button method before getting it serviced.

What type of slide may make a difference. Ours is the FLS/RPE Digi-Sync slide system which has some rams under the slide not the newer style with the track on the side of the slide. The service wasn't cheap (well, by RV standard maybe it wasn't) at about $1500 but it was a 1-day fix. We dropped the RV off at their facility in the morning and paid/drove off in the afternoon so the conveninece of a 1-day fix may be worth the trip to see them. They will also send techs out to you if that works, but then parts may delay the fix. We did make the appointment about 2 months in advance.
Hi Guys
Just wanted to add something to this post, I've worked with DC motors for many years now although I'm not an RV tech but am a service technician. It is my experience with small DC motors such as those that operate steps and in your case a slide motor that if the motor operates from a start it usually keeps running, typically if it doesn't start at all it probably has a dead spot on the commutator or poor brush contact if supply voltage is good. Disassembly and cleaning usually takes care of this plus replace brushes. However with the slide that sticks at a specific spot which by the way mine does occasionally it is due to the coach not being level or a obstruction some where along its travel path either in the slide guides or inside on the floor inside the coach. Having said this its also possible that a drop in voltage that's intermittent due to a loose connection although I wouldn't look for that as first option but worth checking out if no other obvious cause Is found. As I said if motor starts in either direction its telling you it has sufficient voltage and all should be fine with it, I would try and assist the side that's getting left behind to see if a little help brings it in and past that point where it stops. Check your coach level as it may be part of the problem, I say this as my coach has done this occasionally and relevelling has taken care of it, I have also at one point made adjustments the slide jacking screws as it was rubbing hard on our carpet but is now ok. The problem I've found with Dealers they don't always have the desire to disassemble a DC motor to check out whether a simple cleaning will resolve your problem its easier for them just to replace even if it really didn't need it, I would ask for your Old motor back and service it yourself then you have a good spare as back up.
Sorry this is so long.
Hope this helps
Onebrit
onebrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 05:00 PM   #4

Hi Alan & Mary Ann
Can you advise if you were able to resolve your slide Issue, its always nice to hear back about these things as others then have the opportunity to learn about what may become an issue for them. Hoping that you were able to get to your next campground ok and are still enjoying your RV life style.
Good Luck
Onebrit
Old 03-11-2020, 06:28 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by onebrit View Post
Hi Alan & Mary Ann
Can you advise if you were able to resolve your slide Issue, its always nice to hear back about these things as others then have the opportunity to learn about what may become an issue for them. Hoping that you were able to get to your next campground ok and are still enjoying your RV life style.
Good Luck
Onebrit
The issue has not happened since that one time. Still have no idea what the cause was.

Fingers crossed, leaving this current campground in a couple of hours.
Blog: bailey18.com
AllanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 10:19 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Has anyone with the above slide issue tried the electronic override discussed in the manual. If you take the 2 button control switch off the wall you will see a small button on the back. This is used to put the controller in the manual mode. When it is in the manual mode the in and out button control each slide motor independently. If the slide is going out it will move the slide out each side independently. If it is coming in it does the same. Look at the manual for the exact procedure. Here is the manual. https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...3010002129.pdf
Ron Postma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 06:42 PM   #7

Allen
Thanks for getting back to this post, as I had previously mentioned its possible that while your coach sat for a few days that levelers drifted a little or if on soft ground the coach settled and any slight twist could have caused this problem. It happens to a lot of people and doesn't always reflect a major issues just needs relevelling.
Happy Camping
Kindest Regards
Onebrit

Tags
driver, slide