Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2022, 04:44 PM   #1

LCI Jacks

The jacks on my 2014 Itasca 42QD make a loud clunk and the coach shakes when I start to retract them. It seems to be in the rear and only does that once.
The sound is like a clunking sound and then the coach shakes but after that they come up smoothly. I feel like I have been asking so many questions lately. I never had these issues with my Fleetwood. I had power gear jacks and they were wonderful. Never got a "I can't finishing leveling" on them. It just went about its job and was as smooth as glass. When this one levels it is a shaking experience and it extends a jack and then analyzes and then another Jack. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance for the help
I am missing my Diesel Bounder!!!!
xmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2022, 06:21 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I have LCI on my 2015 Vista. Yes everything you describe is normal for the LCI system, mine has worked exactly the same since 2015. I started having some leveling success issues after using the system about 3 years, and found that the reservoir need some fluid added to it. Problem went away once I added fluid. So check and add fluid as needed yearly.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 04:48 PM   #3

Thank you so much. I was just concerned about that clunk sound. I'll check for the reservoir to add the fluid. I think it may be under the steps
Old 11-16-2022, 08:30 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
The LCI level res. is integrated with the hydraulic pump and valve body. On a 27N it is located behind the front wheel on the driver's side and is accessed to check fluid level and/or add fluid thru the propane tank fill access door.. It has about 5 hydraulic line runs going to it and a large power line going to the chassis electrical box. Hope that helps you locate it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-16-2022, 09:24 PM   #5

Just don't overfill the reservoir❗❗❗
Old 11-17-2022, 11:15 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyRV779 View Post
Just don't overfill the reservoir❗❗❗
You can't on this rig. (Assuming your jacks are up)

The fill cap is off to the side enough that there is plenty of air above.

In fact, if you fill it to specs, 1/2 inch below the cap, the jacks will shudder and pop and thud.

On the 27n setup, you need to get as much fluid in as you can into the reservoir for smoothest operation.

Best of Luck
Old 11-18-2022, 05:08 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
On your coach the reservoir is under the passenger side front inboard of the entry stairs - you can see from underneath or unlatch the middle entry step (? might be another) and raise it to access the fill cap. Only fill with jacks retracted.

May be helpful to wipe the jacks down - I use a rag lightly sprayed with dry teflon lube. Look also at the bolts holding the jack to the frame - any loose or missing. Is one of the jack shafts bent - are all the landing feet flat.

Yes - our jacks / frame make a racket especially on initial retraction - usually noisier the higher the frame is lifted. I'm increasingly a fan of manual leveling to reduce the leveling height.
Old 11-18-2022, 11:02 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I agree on manual leveling with the LCI system. Auto level consistently seems to set the rig height at least 1" to 2" higher than it really needs to be to put weight on the jacks in all 4 corners with the rig level.

Also agree that with the LCI system the fluid needs to be at or near the full point in order for there to be sufficient fluid for worst case leveling scenarios where two of the 4 jacks need to be nearly fully extended to get the RV level.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-19-2022, 03:06 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
One thing I did after filling the hydraulic fluid, is to run the jacks up and down fully several times. This seemed to force any air out of the lines and valves, and seemed to give a smoother retract.

Cheers
Old 11-23-2022, 03:33 PM   #10

Thank you everyone for the great tips. Much appreciated

Tags
jacks