RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2020, 08:20 PM   #1

Leaking windshield

Hi everybody, I have a 2012 40-ft u Itasca my windshield is leaking on the passenger side up on the top corner, any ideas on how to fix it? thanks! Jim

jim d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2020, 07:16 AM   #2

Are you sure itís windshield?
Most leaks come from marker lights above windshield.
On my RV, I did have had a windshield leak along top edge of drivers corner, I removed the rubber trim molding and put a bead of silicone glue along the seam and working it in with my fingers. Made sure not to use to much so the molding could be 2 sided taped down again correctly.
I used outdoor goop glue as Iíve used it on other things before and it seals well but Iíve found it not to tough to remove when needed to.
It worked on my leak, but got a windshield crack 2 months later, so windshield got replaced and they saw where the original leak was and it came from improper windshield replacement previous replacement, but he said my repair worked well and was easy to remove my material which he thanked me as most use something that complicates his work..

Old 05-13-2020, 09:37 AM   #3

Thanks Jeff, can you tell me how the rubber trim comes off and goes back on. I'll pick up some goog glue for the sealing of the windshield. Thanks Jim
Old 05-13-2020, 12:34 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Also had a windshield leak on our 2010 Journey at top part of W/S. Found it by pulling back the top molding and putting hose, with very low flow, across top edge of W/S until found leak.
To remove top molding 1)remove vertical pieces at each side of W/S (typ 3 screws) which exposes ends of rubber molding, 2) mine has small screw on each end of molding which must be removed, 3) peel back molding. It has a bead down center which fits in a groove.
I used an acrylic caulk (recommended by WBGO) as Si might shrink in time. Worked like a charm.
Marker lites are also notorious, try turning hose on each first.

Skip Y
2010 Journey, 2015 Equinox
WIT Club 47083, FMCA F263635
Skip Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 06:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim d. View Post
Thanks Jeff, can you tell me how the rubber trim comes off and goes back on. I'll pick up some goog glue for the sealing of the windshield. Thanks Jim
That trim/mounding is generally held on with 2 sided tape along an area in middle on it that is raised so it fits down into a groove.
I carefully pulled the trim off past where I thought the leak was, cleaned up that area are removed any loose debris and sealants, let it dry up well, applied the Goop making sure it wasnít in the area where the trim gets reattached so it goes back into place correctly. After it dried, I cleaned up back of trim removing residue and original 2 sided tape adhesive. I then installed the new 2 sided adhesive tape onto trim and put it back in place. I happened to have some 3m 2 sided adhesive tape that same width around to use.

I used the Goop vs acrylic caulk as I know how hard that acrylic caulk can be to clean back off, didnít want to make it more difficult for when I did need a windshield replaced..
Old 05-14-2020, 04:12 PM   #6

Thanks for the response Jeff and Skip this will be my next project.what would be a good day for you guys to come by and help me out?🛠️😉 Thanks guys Jim
Old 05-18-2020, 12:03 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hey is that a 1 piece or 2 piece windshield? Also check the cabinets above the windshield in the back to ensure they are not wet. The leak could be coming from the clearance lights and leaking down into the cab. You may need to pull the lining out of the cabinete to access the actual area where the clearance lamps and the top of the windshield is.
Old 05-18-2020, 04:52 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the Winnebago leaking windshield club. There is an old thread by that name on this forum. This is a common problem with several possible sources. To isolate it put wide tape over the top rubber strip. If that fixes it you can then take it off and fix properly, if not try clearance lites then maybe look at where the side gutter ends and the caulk around it.

Ours was the rubber trim and a lousy job of caulking behind it. I put A glue sealer over and under the top edge of the rubber strip, then covered it with 4” electrical tape which is wide enough to completely cover the strip from the fiberglass to the windshield. Also recaulked the top of the windshield. Then put a stick on gutter above the strip. No leaks since.
Old 05-22-2020, 12:15 PM   #9

Thanks guys! At least I have some idea what I'm looking at and doing now.
Jim

Tags
leak, wind, windshield