Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2021, 08:37 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Leaky black water valve

Are there any other options other than replacing the valve?

Thanks,

Ron
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2021, 08:43 AM   #2

If it is not "hard Plumbed" down stream, you can take it apart with a couple of screws and check the seals. maybe it just needs some lube.
I did mine and used Vasoline. Worked well after that.

Mike in Colorado
Old 05-16-2021, 09:13 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
black water valve

I will try that.

Thanks
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 09:18 AM   #4

My 2000 32V on a P32 chassis does the same thing. I don't know how yours is set up but mine has cable operated waste valves. aarrgh. The handle ends are mounted in a plate (it makes them look nice) and the cables had such a sharp bend in them they did not work freely. I took them out of the plate so there is not such a kink in them. It is just about impossible to see them. I used WD40 or such type of lube and sprayed on the valves stem as best I can. I also spray at the handle end and work it back and forth. This has to be done quite regularly. I also use valve lubricant in both tanks every time after I dump. I have a 90 degree clear elbow and an added valve that hooks to it but the elbow does not seal good so if the main valve leaks it still drips some but is better than removing cap and getting a poo shower. It is not a good setup.
David 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 03:44 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Depending on where your termination outlet is- you can add another valve there and either leave it permanently or just use it 'till you want to replace the bad one upstream. You'll need a T-58 (Valterra) or something else by Camco or someone.

https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...gQIARBR&adurl=
Old 05-16-2021, 03:55 PM   #6

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
https://youtu.be/TGv9THpOdmw

Drill a small hole, shoot in lube.
Old 05-17-2021, 10:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmusa View Post
https://youtu.be/TGv9THpOdmw

Drill a small hole, shoot in lube.
X2 on this great idea.
I just watched the video.
I'm going to go out to the coach and do mine now..........

Mike in Colorado
Old 05-17-2021, 11:14 AM   #8

That looks like a good idea, wish I could on mine. The valves are hidden where a person can't hardly see them.
Old 05-17-2021, 02:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by David 70 View Post
My 2000 32V on a P32 chassis does the same thing. I don't know how yours is set up but mine has cable operated waste valves. aarrgh. The handle ends are mounted in a plate (it makes them look nice) and the cables had such a sharp bend in them they did not work freely. I took them out of the plate so there is not such a kink in them. It is just about impossible to see them. I used WD40 or such type of lube and sprayed on the valves stem as best I can. I also spray at the handle end and work it back and forth. This has to be done quite regularly. I also use valve lubricant in both tanks every time after I dump. I have a 90 degree clear elbow and an added valve that hooks to it but the elbow does not seal good so if the main valve leaks it still drips some but is better than removing cap and getting a poo shower. It is not a good setup.
Are you talking about Thetford drain lubricant? I just looked that up, I think I'm going to try that. My valves work freely, but they leak just a little bit.
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 02:59 PM   #10

Quote:
That looks like a good idea, wish I could on mine. The valves are hidden where a person can't hardly see them.
You need to say what make and model you have so the new folks won't buy that one.

Mike in Colorado
Old 05-17-2021, 03:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap4154 View Post
Are you talking about Thetford drain lubricant? I just looked that up, I think I'm going to try that. My valves work freely, but they leak just a little bit.
Yes that is the stuff. It may help to make them slide easier but part of the problem could be TP or other stuff hanging up in the groove where it closes. If you can get at yours and the problem persists it would be a good idea to take them apart and clean it out then be sure to flush the tank out good.
Old 05-17-2021, 03:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer15015 View Post
You need to say what make and model you have so the new folks won't buy that one.

Mike in Colorado
It's a 2000 Adventurer 32v but if that is the only reason to not buy it I guess I don't understand.
Old 05-17-2021, 03:13 PM   #13
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
I had accidentally left the blank tank drain slightly cracked open and then it started leaking even when closed.
I rinsed the tank well, gloved up and cleaned around the seal as best I could reaching up through the opening. It was a bit crusty on the inside seal edge and I suspected something was lodged in the seal. Applied some plumbers grease around seal and it is working fine now. It’s also now easier to operate.

Do your part.....
Spk64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 04:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Yes that is the stuff. It may help to make them slide easier but part of the problem could be TP or other stuff hanging up in the groove where it closes. If you can get at yours and the problem persists it would be a good idea to take them apart and clean it out then be sure to flush the tank out good.
Thanks for that, I'll try the lubricant first, then if it persists I'll take them apart. In fact they are 11 years old, if I do that I might just buy new ones. But right now it seems to be a slow leak and I think it's on the grey side.

Edit: the way mine is plumbed I'm able to twist up the bottom drain and I can see the black gate, and the seals and the gate all look good. Can't really see in the grey gate, but I'll try that lubricant and see what happens.
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, valve, water