Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2021, 01:55 PM   #1

Leaky slideout at floor

2005 Adventurer 35A

Bedroom slide leaks from rain at floor joint ONLY when slide is in the out position (so no big deal, only leaks when using the rv )

Wondering if anyone else has run into this or if it is a common/known issue, and any ideas how to fix?

I have looked at the seals from inside and outside the best I can, but I really don't see anywhere to seal, can't see where the problem is coming from.

Also the seals look good, they are not old, cracked, weathered, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211214_165736.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	186.6 KB
ID:	351684   Click image for larger version

Name:	20211214_165752.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	263.4 KB
ID:	351685  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20211214_170042.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	348.3 KB
ID:	351686   Click image for larger version

Name:	20211214_170055.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	188.8 KB
ID:	351687  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2021, 06:54 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Are you sure it's coming from below? Water usually comes from above. Could be seeping down the edge of the side seal. Get up there with a spray hose and soak it down while someone watches from inside.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 10:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned Tourist View Post
Are you sure it's coming from below? Water usually comes from above. Could be seeping down the edge of the side seal. Get up there with a spray hose and soak it down while someone watches from inside.
As you say, I too presume its running down from somewhere - the only place it is visible intruding into the interior is at the floor. It would either have to be running down the side seal and across the bottom of the slideout itself, or I also suspect it could be that the it is finding its way in at the flange corners or extrusions that form the picture frame of the opening in the sidewall.
Old 12-17-2021, 10:50 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
My son has a 2011 Keystone bunkhouse with the same issue. It only leaks if the slide is out. We too thought it had to be coming down from up top. But after hours of trouble shooting we found that spraying about a foot up towards the rear of the slide it leaked. Pulled the flare off and found a 1/2 inch gap between the siding and the floor. Figured the caulking on the flair held for 9 years and this defect was hidden.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 06:13 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Wow. This kind of defect make you wonder about quality control.
Pkc303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 09:15 AM   #6

Somewhat of a resolution

I think I have narrowed down where the problem was coming from. My slide topper awning material was allowing some water to get through, and a puddle was forming on top of the slideout roof. My coach was slightly off level with driver side and front low (bedroom slide is on passenger side). Water from the puddle was seeping down into the interior and coming in on the front/low side of the slideout next to the bed. In the past the rear side of the slideout has had a little moisture too, so I think that has just depended on leveling. But either way, water shouldn't be able to find its way down into the interior that way. There appears to be no "dam" to keep water from infiltrating.

One obvious solution is I need to get that slide topper replaced. However, occasional moisture could still get on the roof of the slide and should not be able to get in.

Additionally, I tried to reseal around the inside. I brought the slide in most of the way, and while standing on the bed, and reaching over/around the interior frame around the slide, spread sealant along the seam between the aluminum sheet metal that is the roof and the metal frame member along the top of the slide. Had to do it one finger full of sealant at a time, and couldn't see what I was doing. No room to get the caulking gun in the space, and I had to use my phone with front facing camera and a light to see my results. I used a locally recommended sealant, Sikaflex-221.

I will also pay more attention to leveling, but I find it difficult to get the coach level side-side from front to rear. I can't seem to trust my HWH sensors, they need adjustment. I usually use a little construction level and check for level in multiple parts of the coach. With side-side level, I find often though that what is level in the front isn't the same at the rear anyway (frame twisting).

Living in the Pacific Northwest doesn't help either, its difficult to keep the monsoons out no matter what you do.

Tags
floor, leak, slide, slideout