Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2018, 05:19 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Leveling Jacks Replacement, Front

2003 Sightseer, Workhorse chassis, 167,000 miles, engine still like new. Hydraulic up and down (dual) action Leveling Jacks, welded,& non-repairable.

The left leveling jack would sink totally in one day along with leaking hydraulic fluid. The right jack would sink about two inches at the same time. The “ALL UP” bypass switch I installed over two years ago,was now a frequent nuisance to use while driving and the leak on the left jack made it imperative to replace both jacks.

I could not buy a C spanner wrench anywhere locally, but Harbor freight had a Chain Locking Pliers Set for about $10 that was bought as a substitute. A lift jack was necessary for removing and re-aligning the jack mounting plate to six welded studs that remained. A half inch drive breaker bar and a two foot extension is needed to remove all six mounting nuts.

Hopefully the pictures show enough details without a blow by blow description of the process.

They work great now and the “ALL UP” bypass switch will be given a rest.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02683_1.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	197345   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02686_1.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	197346  

Name:	DSC02687_1.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	441.9 KB
ID:	197347   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02688_1.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	439.3 KB
ID:	197348  

Name:	DSC02684_1.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	197349  
garyspang is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2018, 09:03 PM   #2

Curious if you tried 'ATF Stop Leak' before you replaced the leaky jacks? It worked for my '94 Power Gear Jacks and a friends '04 HWH jacks so just wondering...

I added it as PV to my HWH jacks on my '02 Journey.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 12:44 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Used up jacks

Hi Jim HiTek
I added two types of stop leak. They worked temporarily. But the wear over 167,000 miles (72 National Parks in one year) was excessive. When we travel, we hardly ever stay in one place more than three days. Our jacks are used just about every time we stop, even in highway rest areas.On a level pad in a campground, the front is lower than the back. Thus the front jacks are used.
These jacks got a workout to make my wife and I feel balanced while walking at night in the dark, or just to make the eggs stay in the center of the frying pan.
Old 03-31-2018, 05:59 AM   #4

Ahh. Yeah, I see how the stop leak would be only a stop gap measure in your situation. 167K miles put on the rig and 72 NPs in one year...that's haulin'. Plus using them at every stop. Good to know that the stop leak did help temporarily though.

Thanks for the report and the great pics!

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 08:41 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
C spanner wrench instead of chain locking pliers

In two days received from Amazon the 1 ¼ – 3” C spanner wrench (see picture), just in time for the right jack replacement.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC02689.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	269.5 KB
ID:	197472  
Old 04-05-2018, 07:03 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Level best

Just rebuilt all 4 (non rebuildable ) jacks on my 08 Meridian. It is the Kwikee level best Hydraulic both ways. Total price for each unit was $40 in parts. Cut the units apart at the top weld replaced seals and rewelded. Can send pics of apart jacks if needed and seal part numbers.
51chevy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 06:24 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 51chevy65 View Post
Just rebuilt all 4 (non rebuildable ) jacks on my 08 Meridian. It is the Kwikee level best Hydraulic both ways. Total price for each unit was $40 in parts. Cut the units apart at the top weld replaced seals and rewelded. Can send pics of apart jacks if needed and seal part numbers.
Love to have the part numbers because I still have two original rear jacks.
Did it by any chance say 3000 on the jacks? Did it include the shaft seal?
"TOP" I hope that was the end where the piston shaft leaves the cylinder. Please describe your experience for removing the weld and undoing the end cap.
Glad to see you have success.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:00 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Level best

Somebody tell me how to attach pics and I can post. I cut weld on top with cutoff wheel on hand grinder and across mount bracket. Pulled shaft out top and replaced leaking seals. I removed limit switch before cutting. You might try cutting open one of the old ones you replaced. My seals failed because they had got hard maybe at time of build due to heat. they did not leak externally. They are 3000 model level best
Old 04-07-2018, 11:59 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi 51chevy65
Pictures:
On the quick reply go to the bottom and click "ADVANCED"
On the new larger text window on top, there is a paper clip icon next to the smiley face. click on it and then you must search your computer for the location of the picture(s).
It is best to have the pictures below 1MB. You can right click on the pictures before you start the post, and under properties check on the size. Mine are very large coming right from the camera. So I put them into PAINT and reduce them from 100 to 25% and resave them.
Then I use them for posting. Use the "Preview Post" at the bottom to get some idea what it all would look like.
I hope this helps.
On my jacks the piston rod seal is bad and leaks. I am wondering if the weld can be ground off at the end where the rod comes out? Where you ground the weld away the shape is complicated. was the top screwed into the cylinder or did it fall apart?
Old 04-07-2018, 07:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Curious if you tried 'ATF Stop Leak' before you replaced the leaky jacks? It worked for my '94 Power Gear Jacks and a friends '04 HWH jacks so just wondering...

I added it as PV to my HWH jacks on my '02 Journey.
Not sure if it was coincidence or not but mine got worse after i tried the stop leak.

I ended up replacing all 4 jacks last year. To the OP, i found this spanner wrench on Amazon. It was a perfect fit.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 04-07-2018, 07:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51chevy65 View Post
Somebody tell me how to attach pics and I can post. I cut weld on top with cutoff wheel on hand grinder and across mount bracket. Pulled shaft out top and replaced leaking seals. I removed limit switch before cutting. You might try cutting open one of the old ones you replaced. My seals failed because they had got hard maybe at time of build due to heat. they did not leak externally. They are 3000 model level best
I was wondering if this could be done. I'm not a welder so it's beyond my capabilities. Still, i have no doubt it would come out much cheaper having someone do it than buying new jacks like i did. Hopefully i won't have another failure for years to come but if so, i'll check to see if someone local can do what you did.
Old 04-08-2018, 06:12 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here are some pics. Think about the process for the jacks the Chinese do not use the quality seals that i used when my jacks where rebuilt. 2 seals one at the piston and 1 at the shaft out. Brass bushing at the shaft out was not worn. Make sure to keep the heat away from piston when welding. I will get seal part numbers and share. Notice the first pic, the top cap at the left top of pic also look close at the piston seal, very cheap and crudy.

Name:	2018011195065930.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	198303

Name:	2018011195065955 level jack.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	198304

Name:	2017120495054404[3050] level jack.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	198316
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180117_123111[2913].jpeg
Views:	127
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	198302  
Old 06-23-2018, 09:39 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Excellent work 51Chevy65! I have been looking for info on the Level Best 3000's for a couple weeks because a fellow RV'er friend has a 2005 Sightseer with 3 of the 4 jacks leaking from around the ram onto the foot. I have rebuilt PowerGear threaded versions on a Fleetwood rig but the welded Level Best had me scratching my head. Buying new Level Best jacks for several hundred each is something they would like to avoid. Thanks for posting your process and pics. Do you happen to remember which Part# seal kit your 3000's used? Looks like Power Gear now owns the Kwikee brand and 2 of the 3 kits they list have threaded rod guides which certainly wont work on the welded versions. The one repair kit remaining is only a few large O-rings and wiper rings nothing substantial. Just curious if this minimal type kit solved your leaking problems. Thanks for any info you can offer!
mus289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 10:00 PM   #14

Hi, garyspang

Thank you very much for this post. I have a couple of questions.
1) Where did you get the replacement jack?
2) Do you have more details about installing the bypass switch?
Ctrl-C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, leveling, leveling jacks, replacement, replace, ace