Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2016, 02:17 PM   #161
Winnie-Wise

After waiting over a week for the Service guy at Campworld to get back to me, he said he ordered the parts. I went and talked to him to see what he ordered. He said Winnebago is sending them the parts to just replace one side of the slide with the old Schwintec system. I called Winnebago again, and they said the retro fit of the new Power Gear system can only be done at the factory in Iowa or the new facility in Junction City Oregon. They said, no one else is trained to do the repair. He also said, the fix Campworld is doing will more than likely fail. So now I am trying to get an appointment in Oregon, 775 miles away to get my Motorhome fixed. Only plus is that Winnebago will probably do a better job than Camping world can do.
smack2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 02:28 PM   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by smack2020 View Post
After waiting over a week for the Service guy at Campworld to get back to me, he said he ordered the parts. I went and talked to him to see what he ordered. He said Winnebago is sending them the parts to just replace one side of the slide with the old Schwintec system. I called Winnebago again, and they said the retro fit of the new Power Gear system can only be done at the factory in Iowa or the new facility in Junction City Oregon. They said, no one else is trained to do the repair. He also said, the fix Campworld is doing will more than likely fail. So now I am trying to get an appointment in Oregon, 775 miles away to get my Motorhome fixed. Only plus is that Winnebago will probably do a better job than Camping world can do.
Boy, it would be worth the trip to me. I think the Factory would even have a better attitude about getting the job done than CW.
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 02:55 PM   #163
Winnebago Owner

I am wondering if they are offering the retro fit to all units that currently have the Schwintek system?
XBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 06:21 PM   #164
Winnie-Wise

Lippert Slide Mechanism

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBoater View Post
I am wondering if they are offering the retro fit to all units that currently have the Schwintek system?

I think they will only offer the fix if your schwintec failed, but you could always call and ask them. They said they won't replace the small slide(bedroom) schwintec mechanism on mine. Winnebago in Oregon said they have already did 3 motorhomes with the new powerglide parts in the short time they have been open for business.

Scott
Old 05-12-2016, 08:12 PM   #165
Winnebago Owner

The small slide is a good application for the Schwintek. The big slide just hs too much weight cantelevered as the slide comes in and it binds up, wears the tracks and stresses the motors. I am interested how this new system handles the weight. Still seems flimsy to me
Old 05-13-2016, 05:49 AM   #166
Winnie-Wise

X2. Those new racks look pretty weak to me.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 08:06 AM   #167
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
X2. Those new racks look pretty weak to me.

Yes they do. But they claim they are stronger since they are metal vs the Schwintec aluminum and the are floating so the chance of binding is eliminated. But they are new, so enough time has not gone by to give them a good test. They also said in 2013, that the Schwintec system was the latest greatest system, so what can a person believe. Time will tell on the new Powergear system.

Scott
Old 08-04-2016, 09:47 PM   #168
Winnebago Owner

Lippert Slide Mechanism

Since my last entry in this post, we had the bedroom slide track system fail, of which required its first motor and track kit since new. The work was accomplished by Camping World of Raliegh a few months ago. Fortunately, the $3,200 repair was covered by the Extended Warranty except for $400 out of our pocket. The galley slide has had two repair kits, both having failed after about 14 deployments. Following last year's repair I had the Winnebago factory service center check it for operation, alignment and lubrication this last October after which she was stored through May of this year when we began our seasonal travel. There was an associated cost, but piece of mind was the goal, and they did install an additional lower roller under the aft end to better support the weight, of which was no charge. Cool!

Well, today after only 42 or so deployments it failed, again. The upper-aft gear (nearest the drive motor) ate the track, and it required two people to assist pushing it closed. Slide locks are now installed (those we use from the factory to prevent upward creep during driving) to continue our trip tomorrow, and we are looking for an authorized service center to order parts and make the third repair. Hope the extended warranty company agrees to cover this again. The frustrations are three-fold, one of the frustration and inconvenience in loosing use of that slide (especially when we have house guests), another is in incurring downtime while service is performed on a five month trip, and third is the fact that we follow all of the recommended procedures to deploy and stow these slides, and yet they fail.

The cost to owners, the manufacturer and the warranty companies must be huge across the spectrum of RV products and manufactures, and don't I wish there was a class-action lawsuit. Pulling my hair out in Northern California into Oregon.

Chris & Deb - North Venice, FL - 2014 Itasca Ellipse 42QD - Toad: 2014 Jeep Rubicon
ChrisKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 01:18 PM   #169
Itasca Meridian 40U

Location: Southern AZ in the winter, Oregon and beyond in the summer.
This thread stopped in 2016. Does that mean the problems stopped or has a new thread begun. I was anxious to purchase a used Journey 36M but after reading this thread I feel I must keep looking!
RVeCafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 05:14 PM   #170
Site Team

Lippert (LCI) makes three styles of slide mechanisms. So, it’s tough to generalize.

Their “under frame “ or “through fame” model seems to be the most reliable. Their “Thin Rail” system has been fairly good and is now used much more often. Their “Schwintec” system was commonly used in 2013 to 2016 and is a common source of complaints.

Winnebago has used all three with varying degrees of success.

Go to the Lippert website to see examples of all three designs. Do some internet searches about each one and make up your mind about which ones you want on your RV. Personally, I would stay away from any RV with Schwintec slides. But that’s just me.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:58 PM   #171
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2014 Journey 42E with 2 slides that had the Schwintek in-wall slide mechanism. While at the GNR this year in Forest City I was having some service done and asked the tech to check the rails on the large front slide due to wear on the gear rack. The tech called after review and said that they would be replacing the slide mechanism with the newer PowerGear in-wall system, under warranty.

I still have the Schwintek system on the rear bedroom slide. I have also noticed that Tiffin has used the Schwintek system on their smaller slides for several years now and many 5fer slides use the Schwintek as well. I think the biggest issue with the Schwintek is the implementation, not the system itself. In the right size slide and proper installation it works fine.

I have not been following recently, but noticed that the problem threads have definitely lessened over the past year or two.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:22 PM   #172
Winnebago Owner

Our 2017 MW 31D has the slimrack system (3 slides). No problems after 2 years of use. Seems like problems have been mostly resolved or you would hear about it on the various forums.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 08:57 PM   #173
Winnebago Owner

Have read this entire thread, and noticed that the complaints seemed to have quit sometime in 2016. Does this mean that the problem has been resolved? My 2004 Meridian with the trouble-free HWH slide system is getting a bit long in the tooth, so was considering a 2016 or later Meridian/Journey.
Does anyone have any current experience (hopefully good experience) to report? This is my 3rd Winnebago product, and I am pleased with the quality and Winnebago support.
As someone here said, we usually only hear about the bad experiences.
PapaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 10:43 PM   #174
Site Team

Things got much better in 2016 when Winnebago replaced the Schwintec slides in many models with Power Gear Slim Rack systems. These are not perfect but much less problematic.

Tags
slide