Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2019, 05:33 AM   #1

Lithium ion battery option

If you were ordering a new view would you spring for this at $4000?
Touchdown2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2019, 08:25 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
It really comes down to how you plan to use the coach. If you are a die hard boondocking fanatic, then spend the money. If you cruise from RV Park to RV Park (or state park with electric) with rare boondocking, then stick with the stock batteries.

I believe Winnebago has finally changed to two 6V GC1 batteries as the standard configuration. This combo will probably satisfy 90% of their customers.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 08:29 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What are the details of the option? Battery brand, capacity. Etc?
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 08:33 AM   #4

Lithium Ion

I do not trust Lithium Ion batteries. My opinion, stay away from them. Too many fire incidents on airplanes main batteries.
jyjcbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 08:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyjcbs View Post
I do not trust Lithium Ion batteries. My opinion, stay away from them. Too many fire incidents on airplanes main batteries.
That was the old technology. Fires are no more of a concern then there is with standard batteries.

Yes they can meltdown too.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 10:18 AM   #6

Batteries

Two 12v series 31 is the standard option, Lithium’s are Xantrex
Old 05-25-2019, 11:24 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you get the Lithium and the correct charging software you will have a system that will last a hundred times longer. It will charge faster and discharge at higher rates if needed. They are superior in every way and if you need this kind of performance can afford them do it.
For most this id overkill.

I do boondock, sometimes for weeks at a time. I use 4 big cart batteries and they are plenty for me. The latest set are still doing well after five years. They cost me a eighth of what lithium would. I will consider upgrading each time I have to buy new ones though.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 02:53 PM   #8

I suspect 4 large cart batteries will not be a good match for the View 24d. Anyone know how long the lithium’s would run the new 12v DC refrig in the view?
Old 05-29-2019, 03:27 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahoona View Post
If you get the Lithium and the correct charging software you will have a system that will last a hundred times longer. It will charge faster and discharge at higher rates if needed. They are superior in every way and if you need this kind of performance can afford them do it.
For most this id overkill.

I do boondock, sometimes for weeks at a time. I use 4 big cart batteries and they are plenty for me. The latest set are still doing well after five years. They cost me a eighth of what lithium would. I will consider upgrading each time I have to buy new ones though.
I typically get 5 years longevity from a set of wet batterues. So if I get Lithium I can expect 500 years? Wow, pretty cool. They will be handed down in the family for a long time. (-:
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touchdown2 View Post
I suspect 4 large cart batteries will not be a good match for the View 24d. Anyone know how long the lithium’s would run the new 12v DC refrig in the view?

Assuming those lithiums are 100AH batteries in parallel you have easy 100AH to use overnight. LiFeP04 will recharge much faster the next day as well. Most vendors are quoting 2-3000 cycles life if you charge at .5C or less and discharge normally not below 50% SOC. The claims then should be about 8-10 years. How long without going below 50% SOC with nothing else every being used - not important. How long will depend of the other things you do in the rig as well as the fridge. Estimate about 54 AH every 24 hours for fridge.
kayak70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 06:04 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I am finishing my own research with a solar system upgrade of my V24D. I have not found anything pertaining to "batteries" from Xantrex, although they are certainly a big name in charge controllers, inverters, etc. It appears that Battle Born LiFePO4 batteries may be used in the new 2020 option. I am considering these myself, as two BBGC2 100 Ah batteries will fit in the current battery compartment, and provide a true 200 Ah reserve. As previously pointed out, only 50% of any lead acid Ah rating is usable without damaging the batteries. I'd have been unable to find any other LiFePO4 batteries that might be taller, thus have have more capacity, and still fit within the battery compartment. I considered the Sun Extender "G2 Tall" AGM batteries for a while, but the advantages of LiFePO4 outweighed marginal rated capacity difference.

Similar sized (cap and dims) batteries are also built by Renogy and Lion Energy, and all are about $800-$1000 each. I don't plan any RV operation at extremely low ambient temps, and the internal battery temperature can always be increased by simply adding a load. i.e. You could simply plug in a radiant heater or whatever into the inverter-powered AC sockets.

I have found a nicely sized 200 W solar panel from Hitech, and the roof easily allows three of these, two adjacent to the A/C and the third mounted transversely just ahead of the bathroom skylight and vent. Of course the solar charging controller and converter for shore power battery charging must also be changed for proper LiFePO4 operation and full life. The MPPT style of solar controller is much better that the old PWM used by the existing Zamp, although mine does have a (undocumented?) LiFePO4 setting.

Any other suggestions?
GyroGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayak70 View Post
Assuming those lithiums are 100AH batteries in parallel you have easy 100AH to use overnight. LiFeP04 will recharge much faster the next day as well. Most vendors are quoting 2-3000 cycles life if you charge at .5C or less and discharge normally not below 50% SOC. The claims then should be about 8-10 years. How long without going below 50% SOC with nothing else every being used - not important. How long will depend of the other things you do in the rig as well as the fridge. Estimate about 54 AH every 24 hours for fridge.
Battleborn lithiums have a 1 C charge rate meaning you can recharge a 100 a/h battery at 100 amps and will and can discharge to 100% SOC and still maintain a 3000 cycle charge cycle, and also have a 10 year full warranty. Well worth the
money.
https://battlebornbatteries.com
Old 08-19-2019, 09:20 PM   #13

Quote:
If they install a charging system that supports charging/maintaining lithium batteries, as well as the base model GR31 AGMs, I'd go with the base models and switch to lithiums later, when/if the GR31s wear out. You can do better buying them yourself price-wise. My 2018 N24V has a ZAMP charge controller that supports lithium charging. I do plan on switching to lithium when my factory base model FLAs start to fail. Relion has a low temperature chargeable option now. RB100-LT.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:20 PM   #14

Quote:
A - I would not buy a new MH unless I planned on being full time for 20 years.

B - I would not spend $4000 when when $400 is all you need.

There is a lot you can do with $3600 in your travels.

You have to ask yourself if charging at 100a will bring you $3600 more pleasure than at 90 amps.

Tags
battery, lithium