Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2014, 10:03 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Looking at a UFO ... '08 WINNEBAGO DESTINATION 37G

Have been considering an RV upgrade from my older National rig. Like the pusher idea getting noise out of the cab, but have been put-off by the higher diesel maintenance cost and the typical front entry at passenger seat.

Found an '08 Winnebago Destination. Built on the UFO Workhorse pusher chassis with an 8.1L GM gas engine with side-entry door. Sounds like it fits my wants.

Now the questions......

The UFO chassis was only used by Winnebago/Itasca for a couple years, then abandoned. Any ideas out there WHY? Were there reliability or structural problems with it?

The UFO chassis does not have an air ride suspension like most DPs. Does anyone out there have experience with the softness/harshness of the ride on this chassis ?

The 8.1L GM engine has 340hp and 455 ft-lb torque. I realize that is substantial less torque than most diesels generate, but seems like reasonable numbers for a 26,000 lb GVW rig. Again ..... anyone with first hand experience with this engine ??

Many thanks in advance to all out there. This forum always has the most helpful advice.

Karl
2013 Fiat 500C Toad
Karlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2014, 08:48 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlos View Post

Found an '08 Winnebago Destination. Built on the UFO Workhorse pusher chassis with an 8.1L GM gas engine with side-entry door. Sounds like it fits my wants.

Now the questions......

The UFO chassis was only used by Winnebago/Itasca for a couple years, then abandoned. Any ideas out there WHY? Were there reliability or structural problems with it?

The UFO chassis does not have an air ride suspension like most DPs. Does anyone out there have experience with the softness/harshness of the ride on this chassis ?

Many thanks in advance to all out there. This forum always has the most helpful advice.

Karl
Karl: IMO, the UFO's demise was partially caused by the market "crash", which impacted sales of almost any type RV, and that combined with the loss of the big V-8 gas motor due to GM's bankruptcy proceedings, sealed its fate. Only 5 coach builders used it, and I suspect WBGO was the largest buyer, but many potential buyers were turned off by the "radical" interior styling and many Destinations and Latitudes sat on dealer lots for a long time before being sold at drastic discounts.

The biggest "reliability" issue was caused by a defective fan clutch problem, but I think WCC replaced them ALL with a "customer satisfaction bulletin".

I hope you'll soon see some replies from UFO owners about the chassis unique ride and handling. Good luck, Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:54 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have the Winne Destination 39W. Bought it new in 2007. It drives and rides great and the only chassis upgrade I have is Koni shocks. I have 55000 miles on it and would buy another if they were still being produced. I have never seen any UFO owners complain about the chassis ride and handling.

The only time power has ever been a problem was crossing the Teton's.

On edit, everything Ed said.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:56 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
PS

Ask a moderator to move this to the Workhorse Chassis forum for better response.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:02 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The 8.1L (Vortec 8100) is in hundreds of Workhorse W Series chassis with the engine in-front. We love ours!

The UFO was a little of the the good stuff from front engine gas trucks (simple and cheap engines to use and run, etc) with the benefits from a rear engine set-up (full engine weight on drive wheels and all the heat and noise in back, etc.)

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ufo, winnebago