Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2022, 07:53 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Looking at Itasca Ellipse

Can someone tell me if these coaches are quality built, unfamiliar with Winnebago products. Looking at Tiffin, Newmar diesel units as well. Thanks
bevo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2022, 10:42 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Yes, the Ellipse rivals the Newmar and Tiffin quality of both build and chassis.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 09:05 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Is the Ellipse their lower level diesel entry?
bevo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 09:44 AM   #4

No that would be the Meridian
CaptainYARRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 10:58 AM   #5

We love our Itasca Ellipse. You might start a thread on the Winnebago owners forum to obtain more details.
clhjsh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 04:34 PM   #6

Hi Bevo, I would be happy to offer whatever I can to help. It is a bit difficult to suggest "equivalents", but I would think generally in regards to fit/features the Ellipse would be similar to Tiffin Phaeton and in Newmar line somewhere between a Ventana and a Dutchstar.

The Itasca Ellipse and Winnebago Tour are similar products and good quality well built coaches, 2nd from the top of their respective product lines.

We went from an Entegra Anthem to a Winnebago Grand Tour and have no regrets.
Old 01-25-2022, 05:04 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We are second owners of a 2015, Itasca Ellipse 42QD. We've had it 2.5 years and 30k+ miles (our second Itasca) and absolutely love it. Great floorplan and no significant problems. Only wish it had a gas cooktop.
Yonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 06:28 PM   #8

FWIW we have a 2011 Ellipse 42QD. Bought it new in 2011. 110K miles on it, just got back from 3K mile, 3 month trip to the PNW. Still keeping it, not planning on replacing it.

Some of the smaller interior wood trim has come untacked/unstapled, easy enough to fix. Had one annoying issue with the interior doors. Winnie makes all their own furniture. The interior wood doors on ours were glued together. The doors started sagging (rectangular doors became a parallelogram) and would not close properly. Had to disassemble, reglue, add some bracing. But main coach chassis, slides, the ie expensive stuff has been solid. Oh ya and after 10 years just had to replace the slide toppers.
toddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 06:38 PM   #9

The 2014-2017 Grand Tour and Ellipse Ultra are RVs last of an great Winnebago era.
The Ellipse /Tour from 2011-2017 are basically the same.
The best thing is the Maxum tag axle Chassis, nothing in its price range compare.
The 2018-2020 Horizon 42Q was put on that same chassis too.
They will never manufacturer a chassis like than in the original price range of those units.
It would be too expensive today.
It’s the last of Winnebago's great large RVs.

I just can’t explain the ride, but I can drive this chassis all day and never get tired and I have. 28,000 miles since April 2020
2cyber71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 07:07 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYARRR View Post
No that would be the Meridian
Please don't be so rough on us poor Meridian owners. This coach of mine is a nice home. Not Thor low end. I would say high entry with the Ellipse/Tour being high entry to low mid. Love the QD layout. Many of the features in my 40U are similar. The QD was too much coach for our needs (and pocket).

One side note here. Steering stability on many Freightliner rigs is a bit of a challenge. I installed the Blue Ox TruCenter steering stabilizer and Airtabs (https://www.airtab.com/) to my coach. The TruCenter really takes the right pull out of the wheel and the Airtabs reduce the rear drag and wind effect greatly.
Back to the topic. The Ellipse is a great coach.
Old 01-31-2022, 02:25 PM   #11

We have a 2015 Ellipse 42HD and love the floor plan. Some issues early on but I believe it was due to external factors more than anything else. Things like being out in the hot Texas sun all closed up for extended periods and also taken to RV shows where as we all know the rigs take a considerable beating. I can't imagine having anything smaller even though it sometimes prohibits us from getting into certain spots. However it is comfortable and drives well and extremely livable. The 60 degree wheel cut makes it very maneuverable. Just hope we will be able to afford the diesel fuel prices in the near future. :-(
tb919 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
itasca