Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2020, 11:11 AM   #1

Looking for switched 12V back of DP

I'm replacing my backup camera and need to find a switched 12VDC power source. I have the wiring diagrams but wondered if anyone has ever done this and can same some time.

All the lights are tied to the light switch and the only other source that I found is on all the time.

2004 Vectra 40AD - Freightliner Custom, 350 Cummins.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2020, 11:55 AM   #2

resqguy-

1) Could you describe "switched" as you would want it to work?
2) Why are you replacing the existing camera, and
3) Why won't the existing camera's 12V supply circuit work for your application?
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 05:24 PM   #3

Hi Mark,

By switched, I mean that it will turn on and off with the ignition key, for both Ign and Acc. That way the camera will be on whenever the monitor is.

I'm replacing a failed Sony camera that is proprietary, and they are no longer made. The Sony used a 6 pin DIN type cable/connector that I had to get an adapter for. The adapter only breaks out the audio and video. The power used by the Sony is only 9VDC. The camera needs 12VDC.
Old 04-24-2020, 05:49 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
You can still use the existing cable as that's what I did with mine. I purchased a wireless system but still needed power as you do. I had a 4 wire plug. I cut the plug off both ends, and because the 4 wires were very thin I hooked 2 together making it a 2 wire cable 1 for positive and 1 for negative. Just hook them to a ignition source behind the dash and you have a system that only comes on with the ignition. Two years and no problems. I didn't want to use one of the clearance lights or lights would have to be on all the time. Good luck Don.
DiplomatDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 07:14 PM   #5

12V + at 7pin connector tuns on with the key that's where i wired my TST repeater to.
Old 04-25-2020, 07:34 AM   #6

cataska,

What 7 pin connector are you referring to? The original camera connector is 6 pin, and as I stated I have a cable that only breaks out audio and video. These are molded so I don't want to cut them up.
Old 04-25-2020, 07:41 AM   #7

You asked about power supply with key on ,power supply i'am talking about is the seven way trailer plug in the rear of the rig the 12v + is only on with the key on. just re read post maybe you were refering to power at the dash i was thinking power to the rear.
Old 04-25-2020, 08:53 AM   #8

cataska,

Perfect. That is nice and convenient. I had a hard time reading the pinout before on the trailer plug because it was getting dark. I will look at it again.

Thanks.
Old 04-25-2020, 09:02 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
If your old camera used a coaxial cable like ours did you can cut both ends off the coax and utilize it as your key on fed power source wire from dash to wireless camera. Center conductor 12v+, outer shield wire ground. Works great. Just a little creative soldering and heat shrink involved.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 09:35 AM   #10

resqguy-

Two other adapters, that appear to allow for 12V, are here. One for monitor end, one for camera end. They might work for your application.

I believe that the pinouts for the Sony camera cable are here.

Standard 7-pin trailer hitch connector wiring diagrams here.

Expensive direct replacement for Sony color camera here.

A DIN5 breakout pigtail here. May not work if your camera uses DIN6.

You might consider using one of the always-on sources from inside the coach (that you have already found), and insert a manual switch in that to feed the camera. I did that in our first coach. If the switch is in a visible spot, with an LED, it's not difficult to remember to turn it off.

I suspect you've been in touch with Tim at RVCams (link here). If not, give him a call. He knows his stuff.
Old 04-26-2020, 10:21 AM   #11

Hi Mark,

Thanks for all the information. I did find the 12VDC switched line among the wires in the trailer harness. The wire color codes were only somewhat helpful because of the hack job done by the fine techs at Buddy Gregg RV when they installed the lube pump control wiring.

I've posted before about my frustration in finding people to work on my RV. I'm thinking now that that is probably a good thing. Many of my problems have come from the poor work that "professionals" have done to my motorhome.
Old 04-26-2020, 01:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by resqguy View Post
I've posted before about my frustration in finding people to work on my RV. I'm thinking now that that is probably a good thing. Many of my problems have come from the poor work that "professionals" have done to my motorhome.
This is why many of us have learned to do our own work. That way, when the results are poor, we can console ourselves that we have not paid high labor rates.

;-)
Old 04-26-2020, 07:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
This is why many of us have learned to do our own work. That way, when the results are poor, we can console ourselves that we have not paid high labor rates.

;-)
yea and when they are good we can kick back have a beer and smile
Old 04-26-2020, 08:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine36 View Post
If your old camera used a coaxial cable like ours did you can cut both ends off the coax and utilize it as your key on fed power source wire from dash to wireless camera. Center conductor 12v+, outer shield wire ground. Works great. Just a little creative soldering and heat shrink involved.
That's what I did when we bought our MH in 2013. The obsolete Sony monitor failed so I replaced everything with a Voyager wireless system.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
switch