Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2021, 06:29 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Lots of threads on the AGM subject, but what is the answer (consensus anyway)

What is the best AGM battery for a 2019 29VE Sunstar to replace the two factory 65ah Group 24?

Assumptions

1. I will only change batteries (nothing else; so it must work with the Winnebago Progressive Dynamics Converter / Charger, Magnum 1000w inverter, existing alternator system etc. Lithium is presumed NOT and Option.
2. Must fit in existing battery compartment of 29VE Sunstar (if 6 volt golf cart size batteries will fit, it is valid option to go in series for 12 volt.
3. Must be AGM & at least 200AH combined (the more AHs, the more I am interested) I have 1000 watt Inverter and that is all I need, but my primary goal is to attempt to double my capacity.
4. I expect to spend at least $400. (anything over $700 combined is not an option for me)
5. Weight is not a factor as long as it will fit, I have in excess of 2,000+ cargo carrying capacity and don't come close to using it.

Note: My existing Group 24s are working fine. I just hate the corrosion and sulfating of flood acid. I have been adding water, but hate it, So much that I am looking to buy these new batteries before my old batteries go bad; just to get rid of them.

Attached are my current batteries, I took them out and cleaned them up last week. I wish I had taken before picture to show the corrosion and leakage. While batteries were out, I had them checked and both are confirmed good batteries.

Any help is appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210407_175139.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	252.4 KB
ID:	324792  
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2021, 07:05 AM   #2

Lifeline AGM GPL-24T
80 Ah each (sorry, only 160 Ah for two)
$250 each plus shipping here

If you can move the chassis battery, you may have room for two 6V GC-2 batteries, for a total of 225Ah. May be too tall, though. Link to LifelineGPL-4CT here.

For reference:

List of Common Battery Case Sizes by BCI Group Number
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 07:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
Lifeline AGM GPL-24T
80 Ah each (sorry, only 160 Ah for two)
$250 each plus shipping here

If you can move the chassis battery, you may have room for two 6V GC-2 batteries, for a total of 225Ah. May be too tall, though. Link to LifelineGPL-4CT here.

For reference:

List of Common Battery Case Sizes by BCI Group Number
I was able to put 2 GC-2s in the same footprint as the 2 24s on my Vista. No need to move the chassis battery but you will need to put in a taller tie down bracket.
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 06:45 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What is your take or experience on the Duracells from Batteries Plus (Total 210ah)

https://www.batteriesplus.com/produc.../sli31dtmagmdc

or the Vmax tank Solar 125 (total 250ah)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...TSR61H8N&psc=1
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 04-14-2021, 11:55 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Update: The below is what I chose to go with after quite a bit of research.

https://www.vmaxtanks.com/SLR125-12V...tery_p_38.html

I placed order today. I expect some drama to ensure they fit. I made 2D cardboard cutoffs the length / width size of these batteries and they may rub against the batteries cables on the back wall.

I learned that the dedicated pure deep cycle batteries are better for Hose on applications and can extend out to 8 - 10 years. Plus they are safer in that you do not have the extra exposed posts that could be touched

So I go from the existing 2 1/2 year old stock floods 130ah combined to the new 250ah Vmax Tanks combined
Old 04-14-2021, 08:30 PM   #6

You should address the over-charging problem first, that is the reason for the old batteries sulfating and boiling out sulfuric acid solution.
This might help: The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1) part 2 next.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 09:44 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
You should address the over-charging problem first, that is the reason for the old batteries sulfating and boiling out sulfuric acid solution.
This might help: The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1) part 2 next.
This is very good read, a keeper and will go into my SOP file.

I have Progressive Dynamics 9200 Intelli Power. It is suppose to be state of the art with 4 operating modes for charge wizard and all automatic.

https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/po...#charge-wizard

If over charging was an issue my chassis battery has not been impacted? From the read, if I were to guess I would say my existing batteries may have been damaged by me? #1 Not watering monthly? Not only haver I not done, I have no intention to do and #2 perhaps when I have added the DI water I added too much? But that is why I want AGMs, I want and need Maintenance free. VMax reviewed with me this morning before my purchase my 9200 Charge Wizard Charger Inverter and assured me that my system was perfect for their batteries. The storage mode charge 13.2 volts.

The floods are only 2 1/2 years old and still are good. I have them verified at an O'Reileys but like when you have that old TV that continue to work but heavy as heck, sometimes you want the new shiny one

My $500 bucks was spent in part to achieve the following
1. Increase ah to 250 vs 130
2. Go to maintenance free
3. Go to pure deep cycle not a dual RV / Marine (eliminate the dangerous exposed automotive posts that will never be needed. The white paper was clear on how dangerous those posts could be)
4. Get rid of the potential for more corrosion in my fairly new coach.
5. Be able to set my Start voltage on Onan EC-30 at 12.4 and be able to run my 1000 watt inverter normal items (2 amps/hr max) at least 24 hours.
Old 04-24-2021, 04:53 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I was able to get both Group 31s to fit. They are really heavy I did not have to remove the chassis battery, but I did take out the mounting brackets to push it further to the right. I was able to put all of my mounting brackets back in their original place; so those batteries are not moving.

Both batteries were 13vdc out of the box. I am allowing the Converter's Charge Wizard to do it's thing for next 24 hours; and then I will start to test to see how much additional time I have.

My feedback from the process.
1. The positive posts were close to the back wall and fuse blocks so I had to use crescent wrench, the negative worked fine with 1/2 socket.
2. I think I prefer the post versus the screws that screws inside the battery. It was a PITA to to get the positive lugs on the screw and then try to force it into the screw holes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210424_154050.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	257.3 KB
ID:	326202  
Old 05-17-2021, 11:29 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Your best bet for battteries are Duracell AGMs. They are made by East Penn - a large manufacturer of multiple brands including Duracell. I have used their grp 31 AGMs since 2013 and they are excellent in my 2009 Winnebago Journey. I purchased from Sams Club for 179 each and am now on my second set. You will not be sorry with AGMs nor with the Duracell brand. Good luck,
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 05:15 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just replaced my batteries with Battery + Duracell AGM's. You should have no issue with whatever brand you get as long as they fit. You may want to purchase 2 new + Military style connectors for the chassis battery. I broke the first one. I could not get it tight until the arm snapped. that is if your uses that type on the chassis battery.
Old 05-23-2021, 08:13 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks to all. As OP, the battery I chose to go is in Post #5 and pictures of installation is in Post #8.

In general all of AGM options are good ones, but none I saw including 6V options allowed me to get total of 250AHs in that space. The VMax Tank is Military grade and processes more cycles and rated for 8 - 10 years. It is a PURE Deep Cycle AGM Solar battery; NOT a DUAL Marine/RV, it is never intended for cranking, although I did turn off the chassis battery and used the Emergency switch and she started righted up

I have had in use for a while now and I have yet to get down to 12.4vdc boondocking overnight My generator is the victim as it is only being called to auto start now based on ambient temperatures.