Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2008, 05:29 PM   #1

OK, Gang, after spending a month with hook ups, I headed to our next location about a 6 hour run. As I was comong down a grade I noticed that the traffic was picking up so I reached over to turn on the engine bake, but hit the Batttery Boot switch by mistake. I didn't notice any thing wrong at the time so I made a fuel stop and headed off again and about 5 miles down the road I get a Check Eng lamp and a Low Voltage Alarm on the control center, I fliped the to see that the Voltage was reading between 11.8 and 12.1 and would not get any higher, but the coach was running fine so I went on to our destanation about 80 more miles. Question, do you think hitting the Booster Sw. did something to the Altantor? If I start the engine now after being pluged in again all is fine? What do you think?

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40KD
CaptainCrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2008, 05:29 PM   #2

OK, Gang, after spending a month with hook ups, I headed to our next location about a 6 hour run. As I was comong down a grade I noticed that the traffic was picking up so I reached over to turn on the engine bake, but hit the Batttery Boot switch by mistake. I didn't notice any thing wrong at the time so I made a fuel stop and headed off again and about 5 miles down the road I get a Check Eng lamp and a Low Voltage Alarm on the control center, I fliped the to see that the Voltage was reading between 11.8 and 12.1 and would not get any higher, but the coach was running fine so I went on to our destanation about 80 more miles. Question, do you think hitting the Booster Sw. did something to the Altantor? If I start the engine now after being pluged in again all is fine? What do you think?

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40KD
Old 01-10-2008, 02:59 AM   #3

That is an interesting scenario.

Here is how mine is configured - there is a heavy duty solenoid or contactor that bridges both house and chassis battery banks together whenever the engine is running so the alternator charges all five batteries (or however many you have.)

Operating the Battery Boost switch simply operates the same solenoid that is automatically energized when the engine runs.

So what you did was place 12V again to the solenoid coil.

I doubt if you did any harm, but an easy to check is to start the engine and see if both battery banks are being charged at something over 13 volts. And/or you can have somebody operate the boost switch and listen around the electrical bay for a clicking or clunking noise.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 05:58 AM   #4

My comment is but just a note to the diesel owners out there when you find out you have lost an alternator or have a charging problem with your system:

Don't turn off the engine! You might not get it started again. As Mike -N- Sally found out, you can continue your trip with low voltage. Diesel's don't need 12V to run the engine. All the accessory items do need 12V (lights, fan for a/c, radio, etc.) so you can conserve 12V by shutting down all unnecessary electrical items and drive your coach to a repair destination.

Had it happen to me once. I actually drove to my campground with a bad alternator, bought a battery charger from Wally World, charged the engine battery over the weekend and then drove 100 miles home 2 days later conserving 12V along the way..... then had the coach fixed.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 06:06 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I was on a diesel tour bus in Alaska that lost its alternator. The driver kept driving until the motor finally died. He found out (the hard way) that the motor needs some small amount of electricity to run. A diesel cannot run forever without electricity.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 07:15 AM   #6

Thanks guys for the replies. I think I have lost the Alternator. when I get it fixed I post back what the fix was.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40KD