Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2019, 12:07 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Lubricating Leveling Jacks

I have a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer with Lippert leveling jacks. I want to lubricate the shaft and read on a forum once that you should not use WD40 but use some kind of lubricant. Does anyone know what I should use?
TruAmerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2019, 12:16 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
WD40 is not a lubricant - it does however work as good cleaner cleaner for the jacks. The instructions for my jacks say to spray WD40 on them and then wipe it off again. The jacks need to be kept clean so as to not damage the seal. I clean mine periodically, and every time before I bring them up after camping near the ocean.
Old 08-16-2019, 01:35 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruAmerican View Post
I have a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer with Lippert leveling jacks. I want to lubricate the shaft and read on a forum once that you should not use WD40 but use some kind of lubricant. Does anyone know what I should use?
We have the Power Gear jacks and use Silicone spray... regularly
Old 08-16-2019, 02:05 PM   #4

WD-40 does not work for me. The jacks will not store especially the rear. I now use 303 with not problems.
1killowatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 02:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmonbio View Post
We have the Power Gear jacks and use Silicone spray... regularly
My manual say to spray with silicone every seven days -- every two or three days if in a salty environment.
Old 08-17-2019, 07:49 AM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Your 04 Winnie has HWH jacks. They do not need to be lubed UNLESS perhaps you are having a problem. Nothing. Nada. My 03 has 120k miles, Jack are down except when driving. Never been lubed. Never been wiped down. Don't create a problem if you don't have one.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 02:30 PM   #7

Not absolutely sure but I think our 2003 Sunova (Sightseer for all practical purposes) has the same jacks. Ours are the Kwikee 3000. I just now looked at the manual again to make sure and see that they require no additional sprays/lubricants.

Having said that, I might use silicon spray if they stayed deployed for long periods of time, especially if at the beach. I would not use WD-40 as I feel it's more a penetrant than a protectant.
Old 08-17-2019, 07:39 PM   #8

I had a couple of very lazy jacks. I actually had to pry them up sometimes. I've been spraying them with WD-40 PTFE Dry Lube (and wiping the excess off) periodically and so far no lazy jacks anymore.
Stan
Old 08-17-2019, 09:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruAmerican View Post
What brand are your jacks? HWH recommend cleaning the jack shafts with WD40 and wiping it off, their jack shafts/pistons are SST. HWH also says not to use silicone.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 09:42 PM   #10

Our 2000 coach has the Kwikee 2000 leveling jacks that have never been lubricated and still work great.

Good luck and safe travels...

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 10:10 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for the responses

Thank you all for your feedback and responses. I do have an issue with the right-front jack drifting down. All others are fine. I've been reading another thread from last year about jack replacement/repair. Lots of great ideas there. I was hoping that by using silicone (not WD40) would help but probably not. Think I will look into replace/repair of the one jack or taking to a shop to rebuild.

Thanks again for the great response. RVers are the greatest.
TruAmerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 05:24 PM   #12

I had a couple of jack legs that were slow to retract all the way extended all 4 jacks cleaned them off with rag and cleaner whipped them down with transmission fluid seem to have cured my problem jack now operate normal and fully retract,
Old 08-19-2019, 03:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
WD40 is not a lubricant - it does however work as good cleaner cleaner for the jacks. The instructions for my jacks say to spray WD40 on them and then wipe it off again. The jacks need to be kept clean so as to not damage the seal. I clean mine periodically, and every time before I bring them up after camping near the ocean.
Like Podivin we also use WD 40 as a cleaner. It easily removes tar and road grime. We spray it on and wipe it off. Then we use a silicone spray as a lubricant. As with the WD 40 we spray it on then wipe down the jacks with a cloth dampened with the silicone spray. We do this about once a month during the camping season, and every few days if we're near salt water.
Old 08-24-2019, 06:05 PM   #14

I was doing the maintenance on our Power Gear Jacks adding a little grease at the fitting on the bottom of the each cylinders today. After adding the grease for the seals when I tried to remove grease gun from one of the fitting the fitting pulled out of the cylinder. So I need to replace this fitting with a new one do to tread damage. I think it maybe metric not SAE. Does anyone know what size fitting I need to buy? I will also need the tread size so I can re-tap the cylinder hole.
mrcchiefe7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, jacks, leveling, leveling jacks