Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2020, 12:48 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Missing Hood Latch

Have a 2010 Journey, and one of the front hood latches fell off. Made a sketch of the one remaining and will make a replacement latch, but not sure what type of epoxy to use. Any suggestions?
Also, even though BAGO discourages drilling bolt holes in the fiberglass front cap due to potential cracking of the f'glas, I'm considering doing just that. Has anyone added bolt holes in the front cap, and have there been issues.

Skip Y
2010 Journey, 2015 Equinox
Loc: MICH
Skip Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2020, 12:53 PM   #2

what about JB Weld?
Old 11-14-2020, 01:02 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
rk911, that's one of the options on my list. I've had success with it before, but this is pretty tuff duty for epoxy and I don't know if there's anything better for gluing steel to f'glas.

Thanks, Skip Y
Old 11-14-2020, 01:08 PM   #4

I just drilled 8, 1/4 starting with !/16 and working my up to remount my Fog Light supports. I did the 1/16 from the inside and yes cracked a little going through but by the time I got up to 1/4 you could not even see it.

LeeB
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 01:21 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have replaced several of these in my career as a tech and service manager. The trick is to clean the area thoroughly. Put in a bed of epoxy and install the bracket. Let cure. Another layer of epoxy going about a inch beyond the edge of the bracket. While still soft, work a layer of fiberglass cloth into the epoxy. Let cure. Install one last layer of epoxy covering the cloth and about 1/4 inch beyond. Never had a single failure using this fix.
Old 11-14-2020, 01:36 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks guys. Cpla questions: LeeB have the cracks progressed due to vibration or stress?,
ga Traveler, what kind of epoxy do you use?
Old 11-14-2020, 03:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Y View Post
Thanks guys. Cpla questions: LeeB have the cracks progressed due to vibration or stress?,

To be honest I have not used my MH since I drilled the holes.
LeeB
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 07:55 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Y View Post
Most epoxys are the same ingredients. Just look for the highest strength. Also do not get the slow setting. Get one that sets in 10 minutes or so. That gives you time to work it in but lessens the chance of running. ACE, Home Depot, are Lowe’s will have everything you need. You also might find a epoxy kit that has the fiberglass cloth included.
Old 11-15-2020, 09:31 AM   #9

I also had a hood latch missing on my 2000 adventurer. It took the dealer I purchased it from ( a previous Winnie dealer) about four months to get the right pieces. If you look up Winnebago parts for your model they should list the latch. I had a body shop do the mounting.
Old 11-24-2020, 04:22 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks everyone for the feedback, sorry it took so long for this reply. but - stuff happens. Latest is that WBGO uses Plexus MA 8111. I found some on Amazon, haven't bought it yet. Have not been able to find reviews on it (other than WBGO) nor comparison to MA 311, which is more available. Will keep you informed.
Old 11-24-2020, 07:51 AM   #11

I just don't trust epoxy for this purpose. My unit is a 2017 with 20K miles, and one already fell off, and the other was loose. I went with 2 stainless 1/8 bolts with a fancy painted exposed cap. I don't know why this is a problem. I use many bolts/screws in my fiberglass boat, and it gets abused a lot more than this hood. We have all sorts of screws holding on awnings and such into the fiberglass and they don't seem to have any problems. All I know is that I don't want my hood flopping around when I am on a trip away from home, and I know these stainless (small) bolts will never fail like that. I think this approach was done by a bean counter thinking they could save a few pennies during production, not because it's a good way to do this. After all it only needs to hold until the warranty is over.
2017 Winnebago Vista 29ve (Special Edition) Many Mods: Trimark Keyless Entry, Ride Rite Air bags, Roadmaster anti-sway bars, CrossFire dual tire system, TST TPMS, Roadmaster Sterling tow bar. Many little mods.
corvetteSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 11:35 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Sorry you lost the hood support. I also thru-bolted my supports through the fiberglass, with no problems. I used a SS screw with a nice looking head, and also a stiff rubber washer to protect the fiberglass a little.

No problems in many miles.

ALSO, wire or wire-tie the other supports so if they fall off you will still have them, and they won't cause a tire blowout!
Old 11-30-2020, 07:45 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
We had one fall off and were able to recover it. Cleaned everything with wire wheel, grinded some groves on edges and glue side, and really ruffed it up with grinder. Used JB Weld and plenty of it to reattach. The other side was loose as well so used my wire wheel on that side and applied JB Weld. That was 3 years ago or longer and all is well. If I ever have to repeat I will do as the tech in the above post suggested using multiple coats and fiberglass mat. That sounds like a very good fix.

In my opinion and experience, bolts and thin-unreinforced fiberglass will tend to crack and fail over time costing lots of dollars to repair or replace the hood.
Park Super is offline   Reply With Quote