Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-03-2008, 04:45 PM   #61

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
There's more confusion in this subject thread than there is on Father's Day in south central LA!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tom, you're KILLING me! THis is SOOOO FUNNY!!!
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 05:44 PM   #62
Administrator Emeritus

rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 05:55 PM   #63
Winnebago Master

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 07:42 PM   #64
iRV2 Marketing

I got the answer I was looking for and that would be, Option #1, Connect the converter in between the output of the switch center to the input on the TV.

Thank you!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 12:21 PM   #65
Winnie-Wise

My RCA front TV died y'day so I hopped over to W-M and got a 22" Samsung LCD. 17# and lovely pix. Put a 2X4 on edge and clamped it down. Works just fine so that takes care of the Feb 2009 changeover. I will do the prettifing when we get back to Aridzona in the fall.

Now, A buddy of mine talked to his Dish TV people today and they told him he if he would run the TV Batwing antenna into the antenna jack of the DTV receiver, it would do the conversion for him.

Could this be correct?

Thanks

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 02:42 PM   #66
Winnie-Wise

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
One big disappointment has been the 2nd generation models (the ones with the bugs fixed and with the analog pass-thru feature are just now staring to show up while my last coupon expires on 6/17. I'm hoping to snag a Zenith DTT901 which has APT. They are supposed to show up any day now.

One small reprieve is I found out my mother only recently applied for her coupons and so I might be able to leverage one of those down the road.

Along these same lines, I made an inquiry to Winegard about why their RC-DT09 doesn't have analog pass-thru. You'd think and RV centric company would realize is important for rural use even after Feb 2009. The reply I received was:

"Yes Winegard will have a digital converter box with analog by pass. This box will be available in the first part of August."

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 02:45 PM   #67
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:
I got the answer I was looking for and that would be, Option #1, Connect the converter in between the output of the switch center to the input on the TV. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I think this will only work if your converter box has analog pass-through capability. Keep in mind many RV park cable hook-ups will still be analog at the pedestal even after Feb 2009.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:14 PM   #68
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hamguy:
Now, A buddy of mine talked to his Dish TV people today and they told him he if he would run the TV Batwing antenna into the antenna jack of the DTV receiver, it would do the conversion for him.

Could this be correct?

Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, it could be. Depends on the DirecTV receiver he has. Some (most?) of their HD receivers also have an antenna jack for an OTA antenna, and a built in ATSC (Digital) tuner. I know my HR10-250 DirecTV PVR can record OTA HD signals.

joe
Old 06-05-2008, 02:46 AM   #69
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hamguy:

Could this be correct? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This correct, The DishNet HD Sat receivers have the OTA digital conversion...the output is analog. I took advantage of this in the "stick house" to avoid buying a new TV for the upstairs area. I did the same thing in the RV for the bedroom TV by switching the coax cabling on the switch box. A $5.00 cable is cheaper than a $300 TV.
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 06:00 AM   #70
Winnie-Wise

Thanks, I have Direct TV and since I installed a new HD Digital in front, I guess I don't have to worry. Thanks for the info.

Old 06-05-2008, 04:22 PM   #71
Winnie-Wise

vicsryd.

I understand ALL cable outs are digital all ready. RV cable systems are no different than any other.

Old 06-06-2008, 01:33 PM   #72
Winnie-Wise

hamguy,

Cable providers like Comcast or Time-Warner are currently delivering a mix of analog and digital signals over the wire. The broadcast network digital signals are un-encoded. As such any dual ATSC/NTSC tuner equipped TV can already receive both the current analog and the broadcast network digital broadcasts (including HD) without the use of a set-top box. The providers don't advertise this "feature" because they want you to purchase upgraded services and equipment.

I have 5 TV's at home on Comcast without using a single set-top box. They are currently receiving 80 some odd chanels both analog and (for the three with NTSC tuners) un-encoded digital channels. I just don't have access to Pay-Per-View, cable channel HD or other extra cost channels.

Some providers (Comcast for sure) will be using the DTV conversion as an opportunity to change most, if not all, their channels from analog to digital. This is to free up bandwidth on the in-house cable so they can provide more channels including more HD (i.e. truly be one-on-one with DirecTV). When the conversion occurs in a given area you have to rescan the channels on your NTSC tuner equipped TV's. But channels received in today will still be available without a converter box. For example, at my house USA Network is on UFH channel 58 today. After the conversion my guess that channel could be digital 58.2 while 58.1 might be the HD version (but encoded so you cant' get it without a Comcast box programmed for the HD service).

Also, Comcast says they will provide one free Comcast box for every household who needs one for a TV that does not have a NTSC tuner. This is their answer to the converter box program and their conversion slogan "We have you covered.".

I don't know what plans Time-Warner has but I would have to believe it's similar.

As for RV parks, some those who have a business version of standard cable offerings will go the same route as described above. For these if you don't have a digital to analog converter box or a TV NTSC tuner then you won't be able to use the RV parks cable system .

Other RV parks are on special systems where the channels are delivered encoded to a central conversion box which distributes the signal out via the in-park cable net as analog only today. RV Parks with satellite work this way as well. I have not yet been able to find any information on these centralized systems might be changed/upgraded in the future. But these systems should still deliver their signals as analog to the pedestal at least for a while.

Add to this the low power/translator/repeater stations that will continue to broadcast analog signals after Feb '09 then there is plenty of justification for getting converter box(es) for the RV that have the analog-pass-thru feature.

Old 06-06-2008, 01:48 PM   #73
Winnie-Wise

And for anyone seeking verification and additional background on the need for analog-pass-through on converter boxes (especially for RV applications) I invite you to read the following two articles:

Need for Analog Pass-Through in Converter Boxes

Court Denies Requiring Analog Pass-Through on Converter Boxes

The message in the latter article is unfortunate as there were only a few converter boxes with APT feature before now and the rest are just now coming to market at the same time the first coupons are expire.

Old 06-06-2008, 02:07 PM   #74
Winnie-Wise

If I read you correctly, the Cable providers e.g., Comcast take analog OTA channels and rebroadcast on cable. But in Feb. next ALL OTA broadcasters will have to switch over to didital. That is the issue.

What are we apart on?

Old 06-06-2008, 02:27 PM   #75
Winnie-Wise

More than that, all they currrently convert the "legacy" digital satellite channels (i.e. TNT, USA, FX, AMC, etc, etc.) to analog on a specific wideband UHF channel. They'll simply stop the converion and re-assign the channel to a narrow band UFH channel.

Old 06-08-2008, 01:37 PM   #76
Winnebago Camper

A couple clarifications -

NTSC is the old analog transmission spec. ATSC is the new digital transmission spec. So if the cable company is sending unencrypted HD over their wire, you need a TV with an ATSC tuner.

Also, the "legacy" sat channels aren't transmitted in either NTSC or ATSC. It's something else. So the cable company will still need to decode it, but they'll re-encode in their own encrypted digital format (or possibly ATSC) instead of NTSC analog. I doubt ATSC, because that would require equipment they don't currently have (cable companies are cheap), and the can't confine it to a higher tier package if they did.

joe

joe
Old 10-14-2008, 10:29 AM   #77
Winnebago Watcher

I read thru all the info and responses on this thread regarding setting up the rear coach TV with both Directv & OTA signals and am still somewhat confused and want to bounce something off you.

I have a HR Endeavor that has two inputs at the rear of the coach labeled for Sat and Cable that go to the Winegard VS-0604/6412 VCC at the coach front. I also have the roof OTA antenna that has power assist at the VCC for improved reception. I currently use the Sat signal from my Directv 3-lnb dish to run the Directv receiver for the front TV and all is well there.

My plan is to connect the Cable input also to the Directv dish so that I have a second signal that can be used for the second Directv receiver I want to install in the rear bedroom. That way I can use that input for either Cable if available or Directv in the bedroom. Since I have only one cable lead from the VCC going back to the bedroom, I want to be able to use the same lead for both the Directv and OTA antenna signal with an A-B switch. While following the forum conversation, I saw where folks discussed using the A-B switch, a diplexer, a splitter with 1 leg power pass, or just a splitter.

I guess what I'm asking is what order should I install what item? And does the VCC obviate the power issue from the antenna?

This is the order I am considering: VCC to single cable to (A-B or Diplexer or splitter) to (DTV receiver or OTA straight cable) to (A-B or Diplexer or splitter) to TV. Also, not sure if Diplexer or splitter should have 1 leg power pass.

Hopefully what I explained actually makes sense.
Florida Panhandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 03:00 PM   #78

Wow, consider the possibilities!
You will need an A/B switch just to choose if you want to use your exterior cable connection to send the signal to your VCC for cable or your bedroom satellite receiver.
Do you also want to be able to watch over-the-air TV or anything else that comes from the VCC? That's 2 more A/B's or some form of diplexer at both ends of that connection. Are all of your TV's digital or are you going to have to also add a converter box(es) for the reception of over the air programming? That's going to take at least another splitter and then possibly another A/B switch.
Lots of fun, lots of switches and very little chance you will remember which switch does what and in what combination.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:00 PM   #79
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for the response Bill. I was right - I did manage to confuse the issue even further with my first attempt to explain what I had. Let me give it another go.

All the TV's are digital so converter boxes aren't necessary.

I have two separate leads coming into the coach, one marked Satellite and the other marked Cable. The Satellite lead goes into a Directv Rcvr, then into the Winegard VCC for distributtion to all TV's. The Cable lead goes directly into the Winegard VCC as cable for distribution.

With the Cable lead connected to the 3 lnb Dish, I have been able to select cable on the VCC for the rear TV and connect a Directv Rcvr at the rear TV without problem. What this has not allowed us to do is view the OTA Antenna signal at TV 2 without disconnecting the Directv. If I select the OTA Antenna at the VCC for TV 2, I want to be able to view that signal without having to disconnect the Directv Rcvr each time.

Hope this is a better explanation. I'll appreciate any advise offered.
Florida Panhandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:26 PM   #80
Winnebago Camper

You need a simple ab switch with one at least one input and two outputs in the bedroom upstream of the dtv so you can bypass it without disconnecting it. The dtvrcr is not passing the ant signals.. the ab switch should fix that.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote