RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2020, 09:31 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Mosquito invasion Att. Vista owners!

Vista owners, have ya'll had issues with flying pest coming in under the slides?
Our new 2018 Vista 27PE was filled with mosquito's this past weekend. The picture is just a small fraction of what got in.
While investigating the source of entry I saw that there is no "real seal" on the bottom of the living room slide when extended. The only seal is a 1/8" rubber flap that wont close completely in the outside corners of the slide bottom, I can stick my index finger in the opening. The top and sides have dual flaps and gaskets that seal when extended all the way out but no positive seal on the bottom of the slide.
Did Winnebago miss installing a seal there or is it just extremely poor design/engineering.
I'm talking over 100 mosquito's easily got in after dark.
The bedroom slide I discovered upon further inspection was open to the outside where the bottom corners meet the sides.
I am very disappointed in the design and quality of the slide design.
Are there any others out there that have had the same issues as we are having.
Now I'm looking for something to install as a gasket to seal off the bottom of the slides.
Our old 2001 Newmar Dutch Star never had that many intruders at the same state park. Our neighbors in their holiday rambler only had 4 mosquito's get in their rig.
We like our new downsized Winnie but the slide sealing is unacceptable.
Any one got any solutions?
Bugged out, Mikee
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200217_090021 mosquetoes.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	275469  

10/18/19 Dutch has passed but still with us in our hearts :(
mikee409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2020, 10:25 AM   #2

I see a small space in the bottom corner (front) of my front slide. That said we don't get insects through it that I can speak of. Sure, we get spiders sometimes but they could be coming from just about anywhere not specifically there. I think it's more environmental than design. (not saying it couldnt' be a better design, but I not thinking that's the only issue allowing them in)
Old 02-18-2020, 01:36 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
TomB, that's not the only place. When I can look under the front slide from outside and see my wife's feet inside the living area, that's to big of a gap.

Any one out there know where I can by 20 foot of slideout gasket seal material.
Found one source but I'd have to buy a 100 foot roll.
Mikee

Old 02-18-2020, 02:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikee409 View Post
TomB, that's not the only place. When I can look under the front slide from outside and see my wife's feet inside the living area, that's to big of a gap.

Ahhh ok, yea, we can just see a bit of light in a small hole. There isn't anything that large that I can see outside to inside.
Old 02-18-2020, 07:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikee409 View Post

Any one out there know where I can by 20 foot of slideout gasket seal material.
Found one source but I'd have to buy a 100 foot roll.
Mikee
Just for the heck of it, go to a big box store and check out garage door bottom seal, they range from cheap and simple to very good.
Another possibility is local RV supply stores/repair shops.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 08:07 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
mikee409, here is a drawing of the slideout bottom front corner with some of the components hidden to better see the 184912-01-CHT, SEAL-S/O,SINGLE WIPER,KE (in yellow). The seal should be pressing against the bottom of the slideout.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wiper seal.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	275562  
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 09:52 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
#6 grtharris

grtharris,
That's what I have . It is strange to me that the sides and top have double lips and the bottom only has one lip. With the single lip if there is any place that the bottom of the slide is not perfectly flat a small or even larger gap will occur and allow small bugs to enter. I'm going to add a 2nd seal just inside on the aluminum angle iron the original seal is attached to. Next I will try to affix rubber gasket material to the corner intersection from bottom and side lip seals to close off the gap in the very corners. Winnebago did this at the top intersections but not at the bottom corners, strange why lower corners weren't done also?
Mikee

Old 09-27-2020, 10:20 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I darken my RV and plug up electrc bug light zappers. The "crackling" sound at night makes me smile knowing one of those critters has be fried.
I remember my friend buying a dozen bug lights zappers at a fair -for a dollar each. I told him he had been ripped off because those were no bug lights--just cheap purple bulbs in a wire cage. I plugged one in and wet my finger and touched the wire grid to show him. I invented several new cuss words as I fell over backwards. He got a good deal!
Old 09-27-2020, 01:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenP View Post
Mosquitoes are killing it this year, it is crazy.
More people camping, more fresh blood to be had!
Old 10-06-2020, 09:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenP View Post
Last time I went camping mosquitoes ruined it completely. I just can't stand being bitten and I could not fight them off. I hate those nets and sprays do not even work on them. I did a little research and I found an article about mosquito attractants. Those lure them because they mimic breathing somehow and mosquitoes go there. It is a really cool article, you can enter site here and check it out. You can buy those attractants on amazon for a good price. I will try it out when I go camping next time, I hope it works or I will have to buy one of those ugly nets...
Yup. Mosquitoes find you by the Co2 in your breath. They also navigate by receptors on their antennae. If the correct size vapor particle hits the antenna, it completes a circuit and the mosquito makes a 90 degree turn in the direction of whatever antenna gets triggered first. The way Deet works is to short out the receptors causing the mosquito to circle or zig zag randomly instead of locating it's target. Another thing people aren't aware of is bug zappers don't work on mosquitos, but they do attract a lot of predator species that eat mosquitos. Running a bug zapper for mosquitos can be counter productive because you end up killing other insects that feed on them.
astrnmrtom is online now   Reply With Quote