RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2020, 01:22 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I have use the Cruise Control before, (just not in mountains) and I've felt what you are talking about. It does kick in on the hills and slows itself down just from normal interstate driving. My knock on Cruise control has been the other traffic It seems like cars flying by at 100 mph just enjoy getting right beside me to slow down and wait until I am about the to run into car ahead forcing me to brake and killing the cruise; then they take off. The resume will get me back going though.

Trying to visualize driving on cruise in mountains though, speed limit will vary widely from about 40 mph to 70 mph
I use Tow/Haul all of the time, even on flat ground. It lets the engine do the slowing for me, not the brakes.

The transmission still uses all of the gears, including both overdrives, it just changes the upshifts points and downshifts while stopping.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2020, 03:20 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
Well realize that going down a very steep grade with a heavy vehicle you do not want to be going too fast because you want to avoid hitting the brakes as much as possible. They can heat up and fail. So if you know you have a 40 mph turn coming up, you probably don't want to be going 70 or even 60 within a mile or so of that because you'll probably have to use the brakes to slow down.

A good example of that is the west side of Steven's Pass (Hwy 2) in Washington state. Heading west the downgrade is quite steep, and while the road is two lanes going down (and two up) the first three or so miles, at the bottom of that 4 mile stretch there's a 40 mph corner. I try not to exceed 50 getting to that point.

Map of corner:
https://www.google.com/maps/search/s.../data=!3m1!1e3

Warning sign at top:
https://www.google.com/maps/@47.7462...7i16384!8i8192
Well that 2nd picture got me pissing in my boots. If I see a sign like that I may have to turnaround Hopefully this trip will not grade like that. We have about 50 miles to drive through it all one way and then we have the return. Thanks for all of the help.
Old 10-14-2020, 03:26 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarebear.nm View Post

As for letting the onboard computer do its thing vs. my staying in control, I prefer to take over for decent. Going upgrade the computer likely will do fine. Even so, I still prefer to take control for the upgrades as well. My objection with leaving the decent to the computer is it can not "see" what's ahead to make speed corrections in advance. Like a tight turn, a slow truck or any other condition that may require some kind of speed adjustment. The computer is very good at knowing the immediate condition not what lies ahead. Just saying from years of mountain driving...
Thanks for sharing the experience. On your concern with computer on the decents? Do you assume in Tow/Haul Mode and with Cruise Control on? If so, I have similar concerns as I get edgy with cruise Control on in some curves and it is worse when there is traffic. All of this on straight aways.
Old 10-14-2020, 03:33 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I use Tow/Haul all of the time, even on flat ground. It lets the engine do the slowing for me, not the brakes.

The transmission still uses all of the gears, including both overdrives, it just changes the upshifts points and downshifts while stopping.
Got it. We are few hours from leaving. Here is my plan.

1. Use Tow / Haul mode as we leave the house for entire trip (about 6 hours)
2. When I clear Dallas / Ft Worth I will go Cruise Control
3. In Oklahoma I will likely get out of Cruise Control as they have weird roads with lots of little cities I call speed traps. When I hit Interstate 40, I will go back to Cruise Control
4. When I get to Interstate 49, I will not use cruise but manually maintain speed through the mountains, curves & traffic. I will basically learn what the Tow Haul does and does not do after this trip

Thanks for all of the info.
Old 10-14-2020, 03:40 AM   #19

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
dkoldman-

I like using Tow/Haul in stop-and-go city driving. It helps stop a little faster when "those drivers" choose to cut in.

Have a great trip!
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 05:54 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Got it. We are few hours from leaving. Here is my plan.

1. Use Tow / Haul mode as we leave the house for entire trip (about 6 hours)
2. When I clear Dallas / Ft Worth I will go Cruise Control
3. In Oklahoma I will likely get out of Cruise Control as they have weird roads with lots of little cities I call speed traps. When I hit Interstate 40, I will go back to Cruise Control
4. When I get to Interstate 49, I will not use cruise but manually maintain speed through the mountains, curves & traffic. I will basically learn what the Tow Haul does and does not do after this trip

Thanks for all of the info.
We have tow haul on all the time. Our mh towing a car is well over 90% of max vehicle weight all the time just moving any speed so extra braking never hurts.
Old 10-14-2020, 07:07 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarebear.nm View Post
As for letting the onboard computer do its thing vs. my staying in control, I prefer to take over for decent. Going upgrade the computer likely will do fine. Even so, I still prefer to take control for the upgrades as well. My objection with leaving the decent to the computer is it can not "see" what's ahead to make speed corrections in advance. Like a tight turn, a slow truck or any other condition that may require some kind of speed adjustment. The computer is very good at knowing the immediate condition not what lies ahead. Just saying from years of mountain driving...
I like that way of thinking. I mentioned cruise control mainly because many people do that to maintain speed. I don't even like using cruise control when towing under any conditions so I've never tried it towing. (Also, I have a diesel exhaust brake, so don't really need that assist.)

I've not really noticed many conditions when my truck will downshift on its own, but I can force a downshift. In that mode it will upshift on its own, but only to the highest gear I specify. The upshifts don't bother me much, but I have expressed desires to have a mode which allows me to control the shifting completely (as I can on the wife's Subaru).

Oh, and I didn't copy it, but I also agree fully with your comments about braking before a corner, but I would add to the reasons that when you're going down a grade slowing may (will?) take longer than you expect. You don't want to discover that while braking in a corner you need to slow down for.
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 06:54 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Follow up. We made it to our campsite with no issues. We head back tomorrow.

My feedback...
1. I used the Tow/Haul the entire trip and it worked flawless. I could tell a difference. I keep forgetting when taking short drives but maybe over time, I will remember to always use. Too bad Ford does not provide the options to turn it own as default
2. The highest RPM I saw was 4,200
3. I also like using the cruise. Even when I got to cities in Oklahoma I could could go into coast mode or tape the breaks. The Resume was very convenient. I also used Cruise while in the Mountains. I just set at it at the speed limit and let it do it things. Twin Boat was right
4. I only got 7 mpg I don't want to hear if I am complaining about gas I don't need an RV I want to know if 7 mpg is to be expected? I would have assumed at least 9 mpg and 11mpg would be great. But I am asking for someone that may tell me, I need a tune up or something? I just went over 8,000 miles on this trip. I was not towing anything, had 3 normal size occupants, and only thing of relevant weight is a ladder about 46 pounds, a Grill about 30 pounds
5. Braking never seemed to be an issue or concern. In general I used the coast feature to slow down and it worked great.
Old 10-17-2020, 07:24 PM   #23

8 or more MPG would be great, but I don't think you'll get that.

Did you run your generator at all ? They can burn 1/2 a gallon per hour and mess up your fuel calculations.
Old 10-17-2020, 08:19 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
8 or more MPG would be great, but I don't think you'll get that.

Did you run your generator at all ? They can burn 1/2 a gallon per hour and mess up your fuel calculations.
I didn't think of that. We didn't run the genset while driving on the highway but once we got here and before we filled up with gas for me to check the math I may have run the genset a few hours?

But I tell you what, I am sold on that Tow Haul and Cruise control in the mountains If my DW asked me why I never put the RV on Cruise when driving through mountains like I do on the highway, I would have said..... Oh never mind

I get a chance to try again tomorrow. Something else that may have caused poor gas mileage, we had some gusty winds the entire trip. Up to 30 mph. I will take it if I can get 8 mpg but I believe all vehicles should be able to get to least 9 or 10 mpg. When I bought my RV there were two things I expected. 1. good gas mileage & 2. smooth ride
Old 10-18-2020, 05:09 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We get 7mpg towing 8 not towing.
Old 10-18-2020, 06:19 AM   #26

If you really want good MPG, stay off the highways and average about 40 MPH.
Old 10-18-2020, 08:19 AM   #27

Quote:
Something else that may have caused poor gas mileage, we had some gusty winds the entire trip. Up to 30 mph.
That could have a huge effect, especially if head winds.

Not a towing story, but I was once heading home from Richland Washington and the headwinds were so strong they were repeatedly pushing in the mirrors on my 20+ year old truck. That let me know the mirrors were too old and needed to be replaced.

Anyway, driving 60 into a 20 mph headwind is pretty much the same as driving 80. RVs don't tend to be very aerodynamic, so MPG will suffer.
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 11:54 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
If you really want good MPG, stay off the highways and average about 40 MPH.
I will have to take that under advisement

We just made it back so when things settle, I will fill it back up for a new mpg number.

But based on you 40 mph factoid, I think I am guilty of cruising at or near speed limit on Interstate highways i.e. if speed limit is 75 I set to 72; if it is at 70; I set to 70. In my view 70 mph on Interstate is a safer drive as you are rarely overtaken by the big semis. It is Defensive driving by Offense