Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2005, 04:05 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

My coach is about 2 1/2 years old. In that time the engine access door fell off in my hand, and now a mounting bracket to the front fasica broke loose. It appears I must have had a bad batch of epoxy. The epoxy did not adhere to the metal parts. The parts were painted with glossy black paint and I am wondering if that could have been part of the problem. I used a product called C-7 epoxy and resecured the parts. Anyone else had any issues like this?

2003 Ultimate Advantage
Ptribbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 04:05 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

My coach is about 2 1/2 years old. In that time the engine access door fell off in my hand, and now a mounting bracket to the front fasica broke loose. It appears I must have had a bad batch of epoxy. The epoxy did not adhere to the metal parts. The parts were painted with glossy black paint and I am wondering if that could have been part of the problem. I used a product called C-7 epoxy and resecured the parts. Anyone else had any issues like this?

2003 Ultimate Advantage
Old 09-22-2005, 05:30 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Hey Pat,
Had the exact same problem on my "2005". I did not have the luxury of being close to anything that I could use to re-epoxy them so both sides now have bolts through the fascia and the steel mountings. (from my on board emeregency spares) They won't fall off again unless the fascia fractures fully. (try to say that 3 times fast....)
Ol'Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 02:35 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Pat, our 2002 Ultimate Advantage had the same problem. Had an appointment to get the engine serviced a month ago; went to check the oil, etc, opened the access door and it didn't stop until it was in my hands completely off the hinges. When I investigated, it appeared that the epoxy 1) didn't adhere to the painted hinges very well, and 2) didn't hold in the holes that it was spread into. It probably would still be on if there was more epoxy 'through' the hinge, instead of just 'on' the hinge.

I had noticed the attachment process earlier and never did really like it, thinking this exact thing would happen. I think over time, heat actually is the culprit.

So this time, I used an automotive grade epoxy (GOOP) and 6 #8 stainless steel bolts, nuts, and lock washers. It was a little tricky getting those into the hinge plates, but I pushed the bolts through from behind the plates and then glued them to hold them snug until I could put the access door on with the nuts and lock washers. I topped the bolts off with cap nuts.

I probably would have had the same issue on the front of the coach, but 2 years ago, I hit a 2x2x3 box full of christmas toys doing 70mph in Georgia. Luckily, it only destroyed the fiberglass panel attached to the generator rollout frame. Didn't do hardly any damage to the front or the cap. The resulting repair fixed the potential for that door to fall off.

Be careful in Georgia at xmas time....lots of pickup truck santas delivering presents.

2017 Cedar Creek 38EL/2015 Silverado 3500HD
CC38EL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 12:04 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Yep! Had the same problem with the epoxy not sticking to the black painted bracket. When the rig was less than a year old the first one came off and landed on a brace so I was able to retrieve it. I epoxy'd it myself and tied a safety cord to it in case my exoxy didn't hold up. Now a year later the other side fell off and of course I didn't put a safety cord on that one and it's gone. I plan on making a jerry-rig bracket and epoxying it myself. Right now i use a bungie to hold that end closed.

I'm thinking that if Winne put a few holes in the bracket, the epoxy would get a muuch better grip.

Bill
Old 09-25-2005, 06:49 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I had the original epoxy let go after about a year. I reapplied a JB Weld Epoxy and held the facia in place with some small cable ties. I left 2 ties in place in case the epoxy lets go again, but so far seems to be adhering OK.
kellysrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 04:37 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I contacted Winnebago Factory Service Department and they say they have had a "few" incidents of this happening. I think if nothing else everyone should do a visual inspection of the front fasica every couple of months. If you can catch it with just a single point breaking loose it can be repaired without too much trouble. Thanks for all the responses...

2003 Ultimate Advantage