Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-21-2015, 08:15 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Multiple chassis electrical issues

Hello,
I have a 2003 winebago adventurer 38g on f53 chasis.

We headed out yesterday and along our travels I realized my power mirrors stopped working. I also noticed the window defroster fans, radio power from engine, power windows, exterior temperature gauge and the leveling jacks stopped working.

The leveling TouchPad lights up and makes a beep but does not have any impact on pump under hood.

All items worked before hitting the road.

The slides do work.

Any ideas of where to start would be great.

Thank you,
Brian
Challenger01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 02:41 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Just start with fuses. Unless mice got in there and started chewing wires, there's not usually anything that catastrophic. If they did.. dig out the checkbook. It's going to be an ugly ride.
Todd157k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 02:44 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Challenger01, look in the Ford Passenger compartment fuse panel.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 08:56 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I think I found the problem

I do not have any documentation of what the different fuses are for under the flip up dash board but I checked each and every fuse.

I found a 5 amp fuse that was burnt. I did not have another one and the parts stores were closed but I switched a 5 amp frim a different location.

Upon moving a functional fuse to this location all power was restored to the radio, thermometer, jacks windows and power mirror. Only one defroster fan worked but I assume that is due to a fuse missing.

For some reason the 5 amp failure not only impacted the specific circuit but also several other components.

I will replace the missing fuse tomorrow and get several spares to maintain on board.

Hopefully this takes care of this issue but I wanted to share this. A friend of mine found a similar problem posted on here that was resolved in a similar way.

Thanks,
Brian
Old 08-24-2015, 08:26 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

The next logical question is why did the fuse blow. They don't wear out or deteriorate from age, so something in one of the circuits it supplies has or had a problem.

Since you were able to isolate the items that were affected I would buy several fuses and try each component one at a time to see which one blows the fuse when activated. Once you isolate the offending component you can in the short term avoid using it and repeating the situation. For the long term it will give you a place to start diagnosing the actual problem.

It might be as simple as a failed component, or as complex as a rodent having lunch on a wiring harness.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:52 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Something didn't quite add up to me...5 amp fuse? All that stuff?

Not sure I can add anything, but here's what I found:

Winnebago circuit LD comes from the Ford radio power feed. Ford fused that with a 5 amp fuse in the Central Junction Box, Fuse "F2.17". It's a yellow and black 18 gauge wire. It feeds nothing else besides the radio feed on the Ford side.

Winnebago used circuit LD to power: jack ignition sense, compass, defrost fans, power mirrors (and window) relay, and radio power.

5 amps isn't much, but should be enough to power everything, the fans and radio and the only thing using much power.

Sorry I can't add more...

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 10:22 AM   #7
YC1
Winnebago Owner

Wiggling and punching around the fuse block could have woken up a bad connection. The 5 amp fuse being blown could just be a coincidence. Five amps is a very small fuse and could easily give up the ghost. Sometimes fuse holders and connections need some movement to eliminate a tiny bit of corrosion. I just chased a problem in my rv that acted like a blown fuse but it was the connector near it. Molex pins can easily lose contact and come back to life with just a nudge. Not that I like those kinds of fixes, it is just that they do happen. I was fortunate enough to get before and after voltage measurements so I know which connector was acting up.,
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 06:50 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Just to follow up on my issues...

I replaced the fuse that I pulled today and I started turning different components on and when I turned the defrost fans on the passenger side worked but not the driver side, then the fuse blew again.

I replaced and confirmed that once the fans were on the fuse would blow in anywhere from a second to several minutes.

I removed the fan in the driver side and capped the wires. The passenger fan as well as all other accessories worked.

I wired in a new dash fan and it seems to work fine without any fuse issues.

I don't know how to test the fan, but I am going to assume that it was the source of my fuse issues.

It is still strange to me that all of the accessories listed above are linked, but based on other posts on this site I am not the first to have similar issues.

I will report back if there are any changes.

Also.... if anyone knows where to download the fuse diagram for 2003 adventurer 38g f53 I would appreciate it.

Have a good night
Old 10-05-2015, 08:52 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger01 View Post
Just to follow up on my issues...

I replaced the fuse that I pulled today and I started turning different components on and when I turned the defrost fans on the passenger side worked but not the driver side, then the fuse blew again.

I replaced and confirmed that once the fans were on the fuse would blow in anywhere from a second to several minutes.

I removed the fan in the driver side and capped the wires. The passenger fan as well as all other accessories worked.

I wired in a new dash fan and it seems to work fine without any fuse issues.

I don't know how to test the fan, but I am going to assume that it was the source of my fuse issues.

It is still strange to me that all of the accessories listed above are linked, but based on other posts on this site I am not the first to have similar issues.

I will report back if there are any changes.

Also.... if anyone knows where to download the fuse diagram for 2003 adventurer 38g f53 I would appreciate it.

Have a good night
Anything new ?
Maj.kangaroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical, chassis