Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2022, 09:31 AM   #1
HRF

Winnebago Owners Club
Question Mystery Water Leak

I have a 2016 Winnebago Adventurer 37F. In the next to last basement compartment on the passenger side where the propane tank is located, you can see part of the fresh water tank and several water hoses. There is water along the bottom edge of the tank and the metal floor it sets on. When I wipe it off, it reappears by the next day. There is no water in the tank and no sign of leaks on any of the pipes in the area. This is a slow leak, no running water, just a wet seam between the tank and the floor it sits on. The portion of the tank I can see is dry and there are no leaks that I can see under the bathroom sink above the area. It has not rained in several days so I don't think it is a leak from the adjacent slide or roof. So I am looking for any ideas on where this water might be coming from or suggestions of how to see more of the tank and the area around it. I am going to develop a serious rust problem on the metal floor beneath the tank so I would appreciate any suggestions.
HRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2022, 07:40 PM   #2

You are going to need to remove the tank and look for a loose screw from the manufacturing process on the pan below the tank or now stuck in the tank. This is a rather common issue with the quality of manufacturing now.
Oregonpharme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 05:58 AM   #3
HRF

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for the reply. I did empty the tank a couple of weeks ago and the problem persists. Could there still be some residual water in the tank to cause the problem?
Old 03-01-2022, 06:06 AM   #4

Could it be condensate from the tank getting cold during the night, then humidity condensing out on the outside of the tank?
Old 03-08-2022, 05:45 PM   #5

Through-Flow?!

Not sure if this is apropos or not since I don't have that model but ...
On my Sunova I had a similar situation and couldn't figure it out. Empty tanks, not using the pump but the small compartment where the pump was located was constantly wet on the compartment floor.

What I didn't realize was that pressurized "city" water still flows through all of the supply piping AND the pump. There was a leak at one of the funky "Sharkbite" type fittings. Probably caused by a surge of greater pressure than the pump provides. Un-attached and re-attached the hose/pipe into the fitting and all was well. In my case it was a probable combination of high water pressure and a not perfect fitting.

If you have have no water in your tanks, are not using the onboard pump and are not hooked up to city water, I don't know what to think!
wihakowi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 03:57 AM   #6
HRF

Winnebago Owners Club
My thanks to everyone for trying to help figure this out. I have good access to the water pump and do not see any leaks and I have not seen any sign of condensation on the tank. I am hooked to city water with a pressure regulator. The tank has been empty for 3 weeks and the water is still there. Looks like I may have to pull the tank but have no idea how to do that myself. I still question if it is the tank since it has been empty for 3 weeks but I may have to pull it just to see the water lines in the area.
Old 03-09-2022, 04:53 AM   #7

On our old coach that had the gray polybutylene tubing (not PEX) there was an elbow that was darn near impossible to reach under the bathroom vanity, clamp pressed into the carpet - that had probably been leaking since the coach was new.

Because of its location, I had to pull the water heater to access that piping. I ended up replacing about 1/2 the piping in the coach as the water inlet and pump was all along that side of the coach. It then led across the back of the coach to the vanity and toilet, then continued to the shower and kitchen on the other side of the coach.

After 27 years of limited use, 2 of which we used the coach before I found the leak and fixed, that leak took its toll on that coach. Dry rotted wood was what I could see, but it was in non load bearing areas of the coach,
The subsequent buyer of the coach tore into it. Significant steel frame damage to the coach as it sat on the chassis in that area of the coach.
When we bought the coach from my BIL for cheap, he said it had a leak but he thought it was fixed. It took about 4 days of continuous City water being turned on for the carpet around the toilet to become saturated.

Look and carefully inspect all the PEX connectors. You may have a similar issue that we had - brutally hard to find.
Get the coach dried out - then apply City water pressure and then check every place you can every hour until you can zero in on where the water is coming from.
Old 03-09-2022, 10:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRF View Post
Thanks for the reply. I did empty the tank a couple of weeks ago and the problem persists. Could there still be some residual water in the tank to cause the problem?
Yes! It's almost impossible to get every drop out on most tanks. The drain valve on my tank for instance, is about a 1/2 inch off the bottom so there's always a bit of water left after draining.

Where is the water pump located? The leak I had a couple of years ago was in the water pump itself. It was between the pump halves, very slow, and not noticeable,,, until I checked one day (was in storage) to find the carpet soaked.

Of course there could be a leak in the plumbing as well. You're just gonna have to get on in there and find out!
Old 03-18-2022, 11:11 PM   #9

Water leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRF View Post
My thanks to everyone for trying to help figure this out. I have good access to the water pump and do not see any leaks and I have not seen any sign of condensation on the tank. I am hooked to city water with a pressure regulator. The tank has been empty for 3 weeks and the water is still there. Looks like I may have to pull the tank but have no idea how to do that myself. I still question if it is the tank since it has been empty for 3 weeks but I may have to pull it just to see the water lines in the area.
Has it been raining quite a bit where you live or store your rig. A couple of weeks ago I was filling my water tank and did not have a good seal on the hose to side water fill. There was some water "splashing" and running down the side of my rig. I had water draining into my rig and running down the length of my floor. Seems like water was leaking into the side "bumper" below the water fill and into the my 2016 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 22R. Time to run a line of caulk on that bumper?
SantinoDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 04:48 AM   #10
HRF

Winnebago Owners Club
SantinoDad

Thanks for the reply. I did not think of that possibility. We are in southern Florida so we have had a lot of rain. I will look at your suggestion.

Tags
leak, water, water leak