Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2020, 10:48 AM   #1

New 27N stolen and trashed...need repair

We have a new Adventurer 27N, with just 2,300 miles. It was stolen from a gated storage facility and trashed, both inside and out. I expect some difficulty with the insurance company in getting it fixed properly. I am in Tacoma WA. Whatever advise you may have will be very much appreciated.
XCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2020, 11:00 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Very sorry to hear that happened to you.
Sadly my advice would be to have them total the vehicle if damages are to the point where it will carry a "branded" title. No matter how good the repairs may be, it will now have a book value 25-50% less because of the "rebuilt" or "salvage" title. Now, if they do total it and you get cashed out fairly it may behouve you to buy it back at a fraction of book value and have it repaired. That's the only way you'll break even at resale time.
Either way, it sucks but that's the harsh reality. Don't let the insurance company try to take advantage of your unfortunate situation.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 12:01 PM   #3

Thanks Alpine36
Old 12-14-2020, 12:21 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
If the insurance does not total the unit, contact Brazels’s in Centralia, an irv2 sponsor. They may be able to give you some good, honest, reliable recommendations.
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 12:30 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetMan View Post
If the insurance does not total the unit, contact Brazels’s in Centralia, an irv2 sponsor.They may be able to give you some good, honest, reliable recommendations.
Solid advice. My main concern would be the damage you or your insurance adjuster don't see. Was it driven Dukes of Hazard style? Brazels has probably seen it all.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 01:24 PM   #6

Good advice, above.

At this point, all we know is that you are leery of the insurance company's response, but we, and you I assume, really don't know what it will be. This is a time to "wait and see," but it is always best to be forewarned and forearmed.

Your coach is nearly brand new so obtaining current "actual value" (which is market value) should not be too difficult for you or the insurance adjuster. Whether or not they decide to total the coach will depend on cost of repairs, and this is where unknown damage is critical to eliminate. If they choose to repair, it needs to be at a level equal to a nearly new coach. They know this but they may need to be reminded. That degree of repair may push costs "over the line" and they may choose to total the coach.

If totaled, they will offer their interpretation of current value and having your purchase records as well as newness of the coach play an important part. Negotiating a payout on totaled vehicles is where most people have issues, but in your situation, it may not be so difficult.

Good luck, but don't really begin to fret until you hear from your insurance company. Please keep us updated, if convenient.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 04:55 AM   #7

Thanks to Alpine36, Fleetman, and Ljwt330 for your input.
Yesterday was an interesting day......here is an update.
We have Good Sam (National General) Insurance and Roadside Assistance. On Sunday when we were in rout to the motor home I called the insurance and gave them the information that I had, including that it had been stolen from the fenced storage yard, hot wired and stolen and was reportedly in tough shape, stuck in the mud in the middle of a rural field. I asked what do we do now. I was told to call Good Sam roadside assistance, which I did. Went through the whole story again and they dispatched a big tow truck that was, without too much difficulty, able to winch our coach out of the mud and hauled our unit to their yard because it was getting late. The tow truck driver said that they would need more money because of where the motor home was etc. When our motor home was not delivered to the repair facility I called the tow company and they said that I needed to call Good Sam and get them to authorize more money for the tow.....so that is what I did. Between 4:00 PM and about 9:30 PM I had phone conversations with a couple people at Good Sam roadside assistance....at first they were very appolegetic that they had dropped the ball and assured me that they would make things right. But then came the call at 9;30 from a representative from Good Sam to deliver the news that because the motor home had been vandalized that they would not cover any of the costs and we were on our own. You might imagine that we were less than pleased to know that our motor home was now being held hostage by the tow company for services Good Sam authorized but would not now pay. We were too upset to do anything more last night....but I have some work to do today with my attorney, Good Sam, the tow company and a repair facility.
I never thought about calling Brazel's.....but I've had them work on our previous motor home and they are great folks.....I will reach out to them when they open.
Thanks again for your input and interest.
Old 12-15-2020, 05:11 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Too late now, but hope you took COPIOUS pictures of your storage area, the locked gate, the signs at the storage lot, your coach before and after... where it was found, outside and inside pics, since you probably won't remember what was in there in 6 months etc.. etc..

The storage area may have some skin in the game, since it was stolen off their 'secure' lot! Do they have video cameras ? Will their insurance cover any of it...?
Did you make a police report ? They may be able to get traffic cam footage to help...

Be patient and think of it as a way to upgrade your rv to one better suited (and find a new storage area )
good luck...
(oh, and on edit: not at ALL surprised about Bad sam's response, why I dropped everything I used to have with them !)
Old 12-15-2020, 05:27 AM   #9

Holy cow, I’m so very sorry this happened
2cyber71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 05:44 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
With the response received from GS, my opinion you have done the right thing, turn it over to your attorney. If he does not specialize in personal damage law, one that does. They are experts and know every hook in the law, where we do not. Most personal injury attorneys get paid by the insurance companies, so it is not out of pocket.
Advise I had from a police officer from a hit and run I had in a parking lot (the guy was caught) Once it is turned over to an insurance company the Carfax report will cost as high as 30% on resale. An attorney knows how to recover that. I have a car appraisal friend that receives appraisal request from attorneys going after those losses. He was doing one on a Mercedes when I saw him a few months back at the shop where my truck was being repaired.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 07:11 AM   #11

Thanks also to JohnBoyToo, 2cyber71 and brobocx.
We don't have any before photos...but I am hopeful that as new as the rig is that will not be a big problem. The storage facility has photos of the motorhome leaving their facility on Friday evening about 8:00 PM. We have a police report number and a bunch of photos of the rig before it was moved by the tow company. The attorney I called does quite a few personal injury cases. I'm not too optimistic that this will end very well.....but we will do our best to keep it in perspective. Thanks again for your support.
Old 12-15-2020, 07:21 AM   #12

The "cat's out of the bag" on this but now's a good time for everyone involved and reading this to evaluate their insurance. Does the company actually have a reputation for good service, or were they selected because of cutesy commercials and rock bottom rate?

I may be wrong in this but in the past I read that a theft of the vehicle will result in a branded title. May have been the state I was in so not sure.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 07:37 AM   #13

Bob,

So sorry that you are having to go through this. Having said that:

First off, the Washington State Office of the Insurance Commissioner IS YOUR FRIEND!
Second, once the vehicle was reported as stolen, and a police report filed, the insurance company is on the hook for the recovery, any storage fees, repairs, etc. DO NOT get involved any more with the tow company. That is between the tow company and your insurance company.
Third, any progress that results in either a branded title, or a CarFax report represents a LOSS to you, and can be claimed under "Diminished Value" in the claims process.
Fourth, I would be hesitant at this point to get a hired attorney involved, except for general advise. They insurance company will stop speaking to you as soon as you mention the "A" word. It will now drag out for months, if not years. The only given is that situation is periodic feeding of the "A"'s bank account for little return.
Fifth, well, really back to First, go online and immediately open a file with the Insurance Commissioners office. Their statement that the vandalism is on you is enough to initiate a complaint. Insurance companies just HATE to have to answer to State Insurance Commissioners.
Sixth, and possibly MOST IMPORTANT: Get a logbook, or start a spreadsheet if you are IT Inclined. Log EVERYTHING that takes place, get a voicemail from the insurance company, LOG IT! Get a text, LOG IT! Get a call from the tow yard, LOG IT! Note who called, what was said, time of call, any "due outs" as a result of the call, LOG IT! Once you open the file with the Insurance Commissioner, request that the insurance CC any contact with your to the Insurance Commissioner File Case Number. Don't ask me how I know this, but I've found the Insurance Commissioners in WA, NC, and KY to be EXTREMELY helpful in the past! Same goes for State Office of the Attorney' General. Don't waste their time with BS complaints, but present your case in clear concise manner, state how you feel that the insurance company has let you down, be specific, give examples, Note what your preferred resolution is, and how you'd like to arrive at it. Let them know that you have documentation of everything that has transpired. Personally I've got a perfect score so far with going head to head with the insurance company using the Insurance Commissioner's office in multiple states, as well as the State Attorney' General in two states on other, not insurance company related matters. You pay taxes, in effect they are already on retainer for you. Use them.

One more item: Let your insurance company know if you had a trip planned, and request they compensate you for "Loss of use", the cost of renting a comparable vehicle for that trip. Let them know that they are on the clock to get this settled.

Last note: Insurance Companies will get away with exactly as much as you LET them get away with. Do your homework, don't "go away", and keep them honest.
Good luck in your endeavors. Please keep us advised on your progress.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 10:18 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Sorry about your rig Bob.

With enough damage and the cost of the repairs, hopefully your insurance company will decide to write it off.

Being so new, I would hope that they give you full purchase price.

Good luck to you.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, repair