Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2023, 01:24 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
New owner 2022 Adventurer 29M re potential issues

Assuming all goes according to plans I will be picking up a "gently used" 2022 model 29M with 7400 miles. I have been researching for months and have finally pulled the trigger on what I think is the best gas coach for our particular needs. My question is what are the coaches weaknesses that I should be aware of as I take ownership and begin long drive to our residence? Currently I am only aware of the possible AC connection issue that plagued the 2021 model.

Thanks for any thoughts (hopefully most other owners are happy with their coach).
colo.kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2023, 04:51 AM   #2

Search YouTube for Winnebago roof caulking or roof cove caulking.
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 08:32 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by colo.kids View Post
Assuming all goes according to plans I will be picking up a "gently used" 2022 model 29M with 7400 miles. I have been researching for months and have finally pulled the trigger on what I think is the best gas coach for our particular needs. My question is what are the coaches weaknesses that I should be aware of as I take ownership and begin long drive to our residence? Currently I am only aware of the possible AC connection issue that plagued the 2021 model.

Thanks for any thoughts (hopefully most other owners are happy with their coach).
29M? Did you mean 29B? The 30' long model with full driver side wall slide?

If so, here are the issues we've found with our 2021 model over the past 22,000 miles and two years. Not necessarily in order.
  • Tire alignment and rotation right after our first trip. Made a huge difference in tracking and handling.
  • Thanks to the iRV forum, I caught the low rear-differential oil issue when the MH only had about 1,800 miles on it. Topped it up myself and went 10,000 miles before being able to get it into Ford dealer for the warranty fix.
  • The dash AC lines were crossed and we had no dash AC for a while. Easy fix once discovered (thanks again to this forum).
  • We had the original ‘old style’ problematic spark plug wires. These were replaced recently while on the road when the engine began misfiring.
  • I’ve experienced a few of the ‘Service Advance Trak’ messages accompanied by cruise control and ABS going out. These happened during our first long trip out west and seemed to be mostly associated with strong side-winds or wind buffeting. Engine restart cleared the problem. Haven’t had a problem over the past year or so and 12,000 miles.
  • One of the Coleman Mach AC's lost a fan blade and had to be replaced.
  • Leak in the shower skylight. Fixed.
  • Right turn video camera quit working due to poor lead connection – easy fix.
  • Leveling jacks were not properly calibrated.
  • Top of main cabin TV frame separated. After a year, I replaced the POS ATYME stock TV's with Vizio smart TV's.
  • A few trim pieces were loose. Fixed.
  • Front engine cover and grill almost came off when the glue failed -- used JB Weld epoxy and so far it's holding. Will also continue checking other glued-on items.
  • Had a PEX water line spring a leak under the sink due to an improperly installed bracket pinching the line.
  • The step motor failed and had to be replaced after 15,000 miles and 1-1/2 years.
  • A loose ground connection that cut 12 volt power to the coach drove me nuts for a while until I tracked it down.
  • Rear sway bar brackets were replaced by the dealer on warranty recall.
  • Installed Safe-T-Steer front steering stabilizer. It helps a lot with centering the steering wheel, reducing "fidgiting" or wandering when driving and wind influence. Second chassis addition was Sumo Springs to the rear suspension. That reduced sway and wind influence but slightly harshened the ride quality.
  • The biggest weakness is that the CCC is only 1,350 lbs. on the 18,000 lb. chassis. So, even with just a few gallons of water in the fresh tank and a minimal load of gear and three passengers, we are at or over the GVWR! I've increased tire pressures all around to 87 psi to give us a better load safety margin. The increased tire psi also seems to improve handling and does not have a significant impact on ride quality.
  • Needs more sound proofing in the front.
  • Added supplemental catch wires to keep the basement compartment doors from flying open if the latches failed. Happened once.
  • The step motor failed and had to be replaced after 15,000 miles and 1-1/2 years.

There's more "custom" stuff we've done, but the above covers just the "issues" we've had. Overall, we really like it as the floorplan works very well for us.
Hermes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 05:21 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes2 View Post
29M? Did you mean 29B? The 30' long model with full driver side wall slide?

If so, here are the issues we've found with our 2021 model over the past 22,000 miles and two years. Not necessarily in order.
  • Tire alignment and rotation right after our first trip. Made a huge difference in tracking and handling.
  • Thanks to the iRV forum, I caught the low rear-differential oil issue when the MH only had about 1,800 miles on it. Topped it up myself and went 10,000 miles before being able to get it into Ford dealer for the warranty fix.
  • The dash AC lines were crossed and we had no dash AC for a while. Easy fix once discovered (thanks again to this forum).
  • We had the original ‘old style’ problematic spark plug wires. These were replaced recently while on the road when the engine began misfiring.
  • I’ve experienced a few of the ‘Service Advance Trak’ messages accompanied by cruise control and ABS going out. These happened during our first long trip out west and seemed to be mostly associated with strong side-winds or wind buffeting. Engine restart cleared the problem. Haven’t had a problem over the past year or so and 12,000 miles.
  • One of the Coleman Mach AC's lost a fan blade and had to be replaced.
  • Leak in the shower skylight. Fixed.
  • Right turn video camera quit working due to poor lead connection – easy fix.
  • Leveling jacks were not properly calibrated.
  • Top of main cabin TV frame separated. After a year, I replaced the POS ATYME stock TV's with Vizio smart TV's.
  • A few trim pieces were loose. Fixed.
  • Front engine cover and grill almost came off when the glue failed -- used JB Weld epoxy and so far it's holding. Will also continue checking other glued-on items.
  • Had a PEX water line spring a leak under the sink due to an improperly installed bracket pinching the line.
  • A loose ground connection that cut 12 volt power to the coach drove me nuts for a while until I tracked it down.
  • Rear sway bar brackets were replaced by the dealer on warranty recall.
  • Installed Safe-T-Steer front steering stabilizer. It helps a lot with centering the steering wheel, reducing "fidgiting" or wandering when driving and wind influence. Second chassis addition was Sumo Springs to the rear suspension. That reduced sway and wind influence but slightly harshened the ride quality.
  • The biggest weakness is that the CCC is only 1,350 lbs. on the 18,000 lb. chassis. So, even with just a few gallons of water in the fresh tank and a minimal load of gear and three passengers, we are at or over the GVWR! I've increased tire pressures all around to 87 psi to give us a better load safety margin. The increased tire psi also seems to improve handling and does not have a significant impact on ride quality.
  • Needs more sound proofing in the front.
  • Added supplemental catch wires to keep the basement compartment doors from flying open if the latches failed. Happened once.

There's more "custom" stuff we've done, but the above covers just the "issues" we've had. Overall, we really like it as the floorplan works very well for us.
Wow. It frankly sounds like a can of worms, and btw the can is the 29B as you pointed out. Thanks for all the very useful information--I hope ours has fewer issues, but my understanding is that is just the way of RVs these days.
colo.kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 07:33 AM   #5

Well, the 29B is a truck/house on a then "new" chassis/engine combo . Teething problems aside, our 29B has been a good choice for us.
Hermes2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventurer, new owner, vent