Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2021, 11:12 AM   #1
tcf

NHTSA recall for compartment doors

I received a recall notice (NHTSA Safety Recall 19V-512) a few months ago for the troublesome compartment doors that are reported to fail to stay closed while moving down the road. Although I have not experienced this to date, I decided to take it in for the fix assuming that the latches would be replaced with improved versions. Upon picking the coach up I was shocked to see what the solution was. Each door was drilled and fitted with a second latch requiring a black knob on the outside of the compartment door! Each side of the coach now has five black knobs sticking out and they are not even horizontally aligned with each other. To make matters worse, half of them (5) don't work . . . the doors still open even when they're supposedly latched. This, in my opinion, is a cheap, lazy solution that negatively impacts the asthetic and resale value of a very significant asset.

The dealer says this is the prescribed repair for the recall and that they followed Winnebago's work instructions precisely. Their advice was to call Winnebago customer service which I have done twice only to be told there was nothing more they can do. Being extremely dissatisfied with Winnebago's stance, I asked to speak to a manager twice and was told each time my call would be returned. To date there has been no return call.

Surely they are not churning out new Forzas with black a knob sticking out of each compartment door so there must be some other fix that is more asthetically acceptable. Does anyone know who I can contact at Winnebago to rcome to a resolution? Thank you for any assistance.
tcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2021, 09:16 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Camarillo, CA ---Back in the house after 7 yrs fulltiming
Maybe you could post a couple of pictures so we can see exactly what you've got.
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 06:14 AM   #3
JBP

Winnebago Owners Club
yes some pictures would be nice.Thanks for informaion.
What coach and year.
Old 01-15-2021, 10:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcf View Post
I received a recall notice (NHTSA Safety Recall 19V-512) a few months ago for the troublesome compartment doors that are reported to fail to stay closed while moving down the road. Although I have not experienced this to date, I decided to take it in for the fix assuming that the latches would be replaced with improved versions. Upon picking the coach up I was shocked to see what the solution was. Each door was drilled and fitted with a second latch requiring a black knob on the outside of the compartment door! Each side of the coach now has five black knobs sticking out and they are not even horizontally aligned with each other. To make matters worse, half of them (5) don't work . . . the doors still open even when they're supposedly latched. This, in my opinion, is a cheap, lazy solution that negatively impacts the asthetic and resale value of a very significant asset.

The dealer says this is the prescribed repair for the recall and that they followed Winnebago's work instructions precisely. Their advice was to call Winnebago customer service which I have done twice only to be told there was nothing more they can do. Being extremely dissatisfied with Winnebago's stance, I asked to speak to a manager twice and was told each time my call would be returned. To date there has been no return call.

Surely they are not churning out new Forzas with black a knob sticking out of each compartment door so there must be some other fix that is more asthetically acceptable. Does anyone know who I can contact at Winnebago to rcome to a resolution? Thank you for any assistance.

Those two statements seem to be at odds. Surely the "engineers" at WBGO would have required their "fix" to be uniformly aligned. PICTURES, please.

Also, do you have a copy of the actual recall notice and its description of the proposed remedy?
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 11:55 AM   #5
tcf

Click image for larger version

Name:	latches.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	291.2 KB
ID:	314551

Attachment 314553

Attachment 314554

Here are some photos. Also, I do have the NHTSA recall notice in which it states that a secondary latch would be installed. I'm simply disappointed that a more aesthetically pleasing solution could not have been found.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	latch1.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	678.1 KB
ID:	314556   Click image for larger version

Name:	latch2.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	722.7 KB
ID:	314557  

Old 01-15-2021, 11:57 AM   #6
tcf

By the way, it's a 2019 Forza 34T.
Old 01-15-2021, 12:19 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Oh crap!!!! That is a shabby fix.

The original handle & latch looks like the same as mine and they've been using that design for 20 years. Why didn't they just fix or adjust the stock latch????
Bill
Old 01-16-2021, 10:14 AM   #8
tcf

I assumed they would replace the original latch with one that works properly. I don't know what the difference is from earlier versions, although I can say the catch is plastic or similar material. Apparently it has been unreliable.
Old 01-16-2021, 12:30 PM   #9

Any idea why the latch in the first door was installed below the existing latch? Overall, doesn't look bad but that one being uneven with the others would bug me. You might see if you can get Winnebago to send you a replacement door that a latch could be correctly installed in.
Old 01-16-2021, 02:44 PM   #10

Here’s a view of street side. All the new latches are above the main latch, like it or not and for whatever reason.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2979.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	341.1 KB
ID:	314680  
Old 01-16-2021, 04:42 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
Any idea why the latch in the first door was installed below the existing latch? Overall, doesn't look bad but that one being uneven with the others would bug me. You might see if you can get Winnebago to send you a replacement door that a latch could be correctly installed in.
That door doesn't have a key lock so I suspect it's the access to the propane tank and needs to latch at a lower point. Maybe the OP can confirm this or provide another explanation.
Old 01-17-2021, 09:25 AM   #12
tcf

Correct, it is the propane door that has the latch mounted lower than the others due to the interior opening not permitting higher placement.
Old 01-17-2021, 05:46 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi - Just curious but can you post some pics of the inside of the door and show what that knob is supposed to accomplish to help keep the door shut? Aligned or not that extra knob would bug the heck out of me!
Old 01-18-2021, 02:00 PM   #14
tcf

Here's an inside view. The service shop installed half of the doors with striker plates and, inexplicably, the others without. The ones without (5) don't latch to anything!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210118_134625.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	243.6 KB
ID:	314969  

Tags
door, doors, recall