Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2021, 08:35 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
NO COLD needs to go

06 Adventurer 38 J. Reefer finally gave up the ghost. I have seen some posts about upgrades to residential and that is what i want to do. However, i cannot seem to find those posts again. If someone could help a guy out.
Also if someone knows of anyone in the North FL or South GA area that does these swaps, that would be great info as well. I know I can prolly do it on my own. I'm fairly handy with a set of tools. But I can also afford to pay someone. I am in Jacksonville, FL.

Oh BTW its a 1201 Norcold
phyllisNchri is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2021, 12:29 PM   #2

Here is a Discussion on Residential Replacement for Norcold 1200s
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/res...-a-324989.html
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 11:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by phyllisNchri View Post
06 Adventurer 38 J. Reefer finally gave up the ghost. I have seen some posts about upgrades to residential and that is what i want to do. However, i cannot seem to find those posts again. If someone could help a guy out.
Also if someone knows of anyone in the North FL or South GA area that does these swaps, that would be great info as well. I know I can prolly do it on my own. I'm fairly handy with a set of tools. But I can also afford to pay someone. I am in Jacksonville, FL.

Oh BTW its a 1201 Norcold
Well,
Your coach is a mere 2 years newer than ours. Ours is an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP and about a year ago, our Norcold N109 started warming up on a trip. At that time, we had around 97K miles and almost 17 years on this coach AND, that fridge. So, I, like you, decided it was time to make a decision on this. Loonnnnnggg story short, I ended up installing a Magic Chef 10.1 cu.ft. residential fridge that fit EXACTLY in the opening. Very, very little mods to the opening etc. had to be done.

But, where it's really important here is, whatever model you pic to replace your RV fridge with, make sure you know all the ELECTRICAL REQUIREMENTS of it. For example, I didn't know until I was completely done with the installation of it, including making nice facia to really finish off the install, that the owners manual of that Magic Chef states, IN TWO PLACES:

1. Do not use this refrigerator in an RV!
2. Do not use an INVERTER when operating this refrigerator!

Well, right off the bat, I had two strikes against me. But, I persevered and handled both of those issues with ease.

That Magic Chef has been in service now, in our RV for about a year and it works GREAT. The ice cream is as hard as a brick and the cold foods hover between 35 and 38 degrees.

If I had to pin down at least one pitfall of the switch, I'd say that it would be the fact that it only operates on 120VAC which means, you're gonna operate on your present inverter (if you have one that's large enough to handle it) and, that also means you have to have some house batteries that are also in good enough shape or large enough to power the inverter to power the fridge.

Or, you plan on using hook-ups for all your camping in which case, you're good to go. If you need any specific answers on various stages of the install, please feel free to ask either on here or in a PM.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 06:24 PM   #4

i replaced my no cold 1200 with a whirlpool 17.6 cu ft top freezer model wrt518.it was the biggest one i could find that would fit thru my 25 1/2 inch doorway.had to take the doors off of course.one thing i don't like is on my 99 vectra GT the fridge is right across from a counter so i can't open my doors all the way i can only open them about 45-50 degrees.so the bottom crisper on the right side is only good for kid juice pooches and small stuff.also i needed the recessed handle again because the door didn't open all the way.BUT oh man does this thing get cold and the ice it spits out is awesome.BUT it was about 5 inches narrower then the 1200. the wife wanted a pantry so i added one in the excess space and had a door routered and finished to match the rest of the cabinets.my maiden voyage i wanted to check to see just what it would do unplugged.it was upper 80's when we hit the road.it was 3/4th full and cold fridge at 33 and freezer at 0.unplugged and hit the road.4 hrs later when we hit the camp ground the freezer was up to 20 degrees and the fridge was at 39.i was real happy it kept as cold as it did.i have one more trip planned before winter and if need be i will just fire up the gen on the road.my coach batteries are pushing 4-5 yrs old so figure i will replace them next spring and make sure the inverter is up to the task for some long hauls next year.i love it and wish i would have changed it out 3 yrs ago.well worth the time and effort.
catmandoo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 07:03 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I had a Samsung put in to replace my Norcold 4 door on a 2006 Journey about a year ago. Works great.

I thougjt of doing ghe electric Amish mod. Replace the propane/ammonia plumbing with an electri compressor. Great fit, no modding the cabinetry were pros. Cons were my current ice maker was already leaking and I would still have 14 year old electronics.

Best advice I can give is find someone who has done it before on your specific model/year and specific fridge to preclude as many surprises as possible.

I was lucky. I had a 120 v outlet powered from the inverter behind the fridge.

Did have to lower floor pan for fridge and relocate 12V CB panel and LP alarm. Gave up speaker for audio system.

Hired a great guy, but he is in TX, so no help to you unless you want to travel. but I would very highly recommend him, so PM me if you want to.

Fridge took two days to install. Fit thru my RV door , but had to remove copilot seat, and took three people to get it up and over the seat mount.

My general rule is, if it looks easy, I'll go for it no problem (oil changes, lubes, air cleaners, air driers, etc). Though sometimes I have been half qay thru a job, and thinking I should have hired it out.

If it looks tough, and I am only going to do it once, I hire someone with experience.

Some jobs are in between, if I think it is worth my extra time or I just feel the need for a challenge. And those jobs often give a feeling of satisfaction that is priceless, especially when they go as anticipated.

Good luck
JPO1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 04:55 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Just FYI….If you do go with a residential fridge don’t forget to attach it securely. The coach in our signature has a 21cf (?) fridge and the factory missed the studs during assembly and on a turn it fell across the kitchen into the microwave, taking both out. There have been 3 or 4 reports of this happening to the same coach as ours.
NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA 455593, WIT 170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 05:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well,
Your coach is a mere 2 years newer than ours. Ours is an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP and about a year ago, our Norcold N109 started warming up on a trip. At that time, we had around 97K miles and almost 17 years on this coach AND, that fridge. So, I, like you, decided it was time to make a decision on this. Loonnnnnggg story short, I ended up installing a Magic Chef 10.1 cu.ft. residential fridge that fit EXACTLY in the opening. Very, very little mods to the opening etc. had to be done.

But, where it's really important here is, whatever model you pic to replace your RV fridge with, make sure you know all the ELECTRICAL REQUIREMENTS of it. For example, I didn't know until I was completely done with the installation of it, including making nice facia to really finish off the install, that the owners manual of that Magic Chef states, IN TWO PLACES:

1. Do not use this refrigerator in an RV!
2. Do not use an INVERTER when operating this refrigerator!

Well, right off the bat, I had two strikes against me. But, I persevered and handled both of those issues with ease.

That Magic Chef has been in service now, in our RV for about a year and it works GREAT. The ice cream is as hard as a brick and the cold foods hover between 35 and 38 degrees.

If I had to pin down at least one pitfall of the switch, I'd say that it would be the fact that it only operates on 120VAC which means, you're gonna operate on your present inverter (if you have one that's large enough to handle it) and, that also means you have to have some house batteries that are also in good enough shape or large enough to power the inverter to power the fridge.

Or, you plan on using hook-ups for all your camping in which case, you're good to go. If you need any specific answers on various stages of the install, please feel free to ask either on here or in a PM.
Scott
I also put in a 10.1 cu ft Magic Chef. Not sure what the issue is with using a pure sine wave inverter...maybe that is a general caution. Otherwise it uses at lot less electricity than an Norcold.
Wbago97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 05:29 PM   #8

I on the other hand replaced my cooling unit with Helium and did several venting mods where it will maintain 33/0 easily all the way to 110 degrees. I dry camp 99.9% of the time and am not interested in the generator cycling 24/7 (I’m also up 1/2 the night with the Tv, DSS, and PC On). Camping in a park would be different.

Anyway the only thing I would suggest on all this is make SURE that the inverter is PSW ONLY!! Those MSW inverters are way too trashy to trust on a new fridge after me having killed several other devices on the old MSW inverter.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 08:16 AM   #9

Residential

We are also in Jacksonville Fl and have a 2004 Itasca Horizon that now has a non working refrigerator. We are debating repair back residential and will probably go residential. Our friend bought one in Lowe’s and they even removed old one and brought new one into coach. U can message me directly if u want to keep in touch with our progress. We have a call into a mobile tech we have used in the past so I will post what he says.I’m in Orange Park.
rrambeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 08:34 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to tomgauger
Plan to replace your inverter/charger with one that is pure sine wave.
tomgauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 08:36 AM   #11

Before you all jump into the residential frig area, I think you should check out what JC Refrigeration has to offer.
https://jc-refrigeration.com/

The reason I say that is last year our NorCold stop working. I did the same thing you are are doing as to what to get. I am not a very good wood working person so I know that putting a residential frig in would not be trimmed out very well.

So I went with the JC 120v replacement cooling unit. Its a very easy DIY project and great support from JC. They send you a complete new 120v cooling system that attaches to the back of the Norcold. Just plug in like you would the residential frig. On setting 7 frig stays at 34 and the freezer 0+/-. As we always are plugged in it made no sense to go with propane. Check it out

Good luck
be-happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 11:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrambeau View Post
We are also in Jacksonville Fl and have a 2004 Itasca Horizon that now has a non working refrigerator. We are debating repair back residential and will probably go residential. Our friend bought one in Lowe’s and they even removed old one and brought new one into coach. U can message me directly if u want to keep in touch with our progress. We have a call into a mobile tech we have used in the past so I will post what he says.I’m in Orange Park.
Update- mechanic first appointment is November 1 which is ok cause we don’t have travel plans right now
rrambeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 12:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wbago97 View Post
I also put in a 10.1 cu ft Magic Chef. Not sure what the issue is with using a pure sine wave inverter...maybe that is a general caution. Otherwise it uses at lot less electricity than an Norcold.
Wbago97,
I'm assuming you're referring to the line I put in my post: "Do not use with an inverter". If that's what you're referring to, it's a long story but, here's what I deducted from all of this. As stated, I did the complete install of that Magic Chef, including all new facia which, also secures that fridge in place. Upon the finished installation, I went out to the outside of the RV and through the original access hole for the original fridge, I plugged the new Magic Chef into the original 120VAC outlet. Vuuuuuaaalllla, the new fridge was working like a champ.

That was one day before we were to leave on a trip. The next day, the fridge was nice and cold, and we'd already loaded it for the trip, I had, at that time, (and still do) a Magnum 2012ME MSW inverter/charger to handle all my inverter needs. Soooo, prior to pulling out of the garage, I'd already turned the inverter on to have it ready to handle keeping the new fridge working, when we were on the road.

Now, about 2 hours into our trip, I'd asked the CEO to go and check on the fridge and make sure all is well. She carefully opened the fridge door to check all the LED's of normal operation. What's this? NO LED's!!!!!!! I said for her to check the inverter to make sure it was ON. Yep, it's ON! CRAP! Now what?

When we got to our destination, THEN is when I broke out the manual for the new Magic Chef. THEN is when I found the two statements you read in my other post. Well, after a whole bunch of screwing around with my wiring, re-routing the 120VAC line from one fuse panel to another, in an attempt to make my Magnum work that 120VAC plug behind the fridge because, I found out that, that 120VAC outlet behind my fridge, is the ONLY 120VAC outlet in my entire coach, that IS NOT POWERED BY THE Magnum Inverter/Charger.

Well, after the re-wire of that one particular circuit, that meant that the Magnum now powers that 120VAC outlet behind the fridge. I thought all was cool now. I'd flipped breaker for that circuit and, flipped the main breaker in the main panel to OFF. I turned the inverter panel breaker for that circuit and that sent inverter power to that outlet behind the fridge. I had her check the LED's in the fridge as I did that. Vuuuualllla, that fridge was now working.

But, what I didn't know and realize at that time was the fact that, the Magic Chef only powered up for about 3-5 seconds (she'd closed the door by then and didn't realize the LED's had ceased) and, it would then shut off.

It is then, that I realized that, that Magic Chef WILL NOT RUN on an MSW inverter. And THAT, is why they wrote that in the manual, "This refrigerator is NOT to be used with an INVERTER. They (Magic Chef Inc) don't want to get involved with the liability of what it takes, to operate one of their refrigerators. Sooooo, that's why the warnings in the manual.

PSW inverters, put out the same juice that is standard electricity all over the planet. And their fridges run on PSW. Sooooo, THAT'S why I had to do what I did. Sorry for the War and Peace novel here but, that's the details on "not sure what the issue with using a PSW inverter..." explanation.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote