Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2021, 10:47 AM   #1

No water flow on hot side?

We recently purchased our first DP. It is a 2003 Itasca Horizon 39q. I have water to the hot water tank, but cant get water to come out any of the tapes. The cool water works as it should, but the water is full of very small bubbles.
Doug Brewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2021, 10:50 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
My experience is if you have cold water but no hot water flow, you have a failed check valve on the water heater. Ours was not bad to replace, but was difficult to get at as it was located on the back side of the water heater.
mbrooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 11:13 AM   #3

No Hot flow.....WH Tank Hot Outlet check valve has failed
*Winnebago likes to use check valves on Cold Inlet and Hot Outlet
(Check valves are part of the nipples screwed into tank)

Bubbles in Cold water at faucet could be still bleeding air out of system if just started using OR you have a small air leak on suction side of pump
*Strainer, hose clamps, 'winterizing' valve not fully closed, pump casing has a crack
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 02:33 PM   #4

Had the same thing happen 6 years ago.. removed the broken check valve in hot water supply line and threw it away.. Hey Old Biscuit, How the heck are ya?
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 04:32 PM   #5

Onebrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Brewer View Post
We recently purchased our first DP. It is a 2003 Itasca Horizon 39q. I have water to the hot water tank, but cant get water to come out any of the tapes. The cool water works as it should, but the water is full of very small bubbles.
Previous posts are correct, I had the same issue while camping I couldn't get my check valve fitting out plus it was as mentioned in the back of tank and a real tight fit to get too short of removing the whole thing I decided to drill out the check valve which worked for me.
Onebrit.
onebrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 07:21 AM   #6

Thank you to everyone for the great input. This is a great restores. Thanks again.
Doug Brewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 03:12 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:

Hiya Doug,

We just bought a 2002 Winnie Adventurer 35U and had the same issue on our first trip. When we got home I found that it was the check valve that is on the outlet at the back of the water heater. the check valve interior parts had deteriorated and was not working. The part is a pretty standard part and I found one at my local RV dealership but they are also available on Amazon. The toughest part was getting behind the water heater to work on it. Basically, you need to replace that check valve. Since mine is on the right side forward of the door, I had to lay back in one of the storage compartments and remove the pex connector from the check valve, replace the valve and reconnect. That should do it. FYI I have an Atwood 10 gallon gas/electric water heater. Good luck!

Daddypez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 10:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Well Doug,
It sure as heck sounds just like what we went through on a recent camp trip. We were in Moab UT a few months ago and, we came back from Jeeping and, what's this, NO HOT WATER!!!! Hmmmm. Never experienced this before. Plenty of cold water but, no hot, from any fawcett in or outside of the coach. I enquired on here and yep, about 99.999% of the responses stated it was the *Outlet* side check valve.

Well, with just some minor investigation, I determined it was NOT the outlet one. It was the INLET check valve. You see, a simple test revealed that, I had zero water IN the water heater. I removed the TP & I valve and, nothing came out except for a small dribble.

But, here's the deal. When I went on youtube to see what the deal was on removing it, there were plenty of videos that showed that check valve was EASSSSSSY to get at. Well, not in my case. IN our '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP, that check valve was darn near IMPOSSIBLE to even see, much less get at and replace it. You see, in our Horizon, our hot water heater is behind the right rear duals and, is completely enclosed. There is an access port on the backside and bottom of the box that encompasses that heater. But, those ports, about 5" in diameter, really didn't help much.

To say the least, laying on the ground in a campground, squirming around trying to get the best position to do this repair, was not fun at all. I hope yours is in a better position to deal with. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 07:12 PM   #9

Just had this happen on our month long trip in May. Hot Water flow went to a trickle last day in KY. Then we were off to ND, family then Yellowstone. Fortunately I Googled the problem, picked up a check valve at Camping World in Fargo. Got to Bismarck and my brother, a plumber, changed it out. All fixed. It was a little difficult as it was on the back of the water heater and access was under our bed. We had to fold the mattress from the foot to the head and I basically sat on the board holding the mattress back. FYI, the piping/tubing just connects onto one end of these check valves, which the other end screws into the tank. So it's not real apparent there is a check valve there. It just looks like an out port nipple on the tank. It was on the OUTLET side. The valve looks more like a M-M threaded brass connector. But the check valve functionality is inside of that.
Qui-Gon John is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water