Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2014, 07:03 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
No water from Atwood hot water heater

I have a 2000 Horizon with a 10 gallon gas and electric Atwood hot water heater. The coach has a winterizing switch.

My problem is no water is coming out of the hot water facets. If I flip the winterizing switch cold water flows out of the hot water facets.

The same problem occurred two weeks ago and I replaced the input check valve, problem solved. Now the problem is back so I thought the replacement check valve failed again so I replaced it but this time still no water thru the Atwood hot water heater.

I removed the drain plug from the heater and the water flowed over 10 gal worth so it tells me the input side check valve is ok.

Now my problem. Does this unit have an output check valve? I have looked and don't see one. The only thing I see from the rear of the heater at the output side is a plastic 90 degree elbow. The elbow is flush at the styrofoam backing of the heater. Is there a check valve hidden in the styrofoam?
bsamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2014, 01:19 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is a check valve on the hot outlet that checks flow into the water heater so you can winterize. It has a plastic valve inside the metal housing. With age it sticks closed and no hot water will pass. Mine did it this winter in Florida, New valves, with metal innards can be purchased. I just drilled out the plastic parts because I winterize by blowing out the lines and putting anti-freeze in the traps. If you have changed the inlet check valve then this will be similar.

Good luck,
Dave
Old 08-22-2014, 11:06 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Dave thanks for your response.
I looked at the output side of the heater but did not see anything that looked like a check valve. The plastic elbow screws directly into the heater no brass check valve anywhere near the output side of the heater. I wonder if the check valve may be located on the other side of the coach near the winterizing valve. Your response was helpful as I did't know that the output check valve was the same style as the input check valve. I'll start looking for a brass valve somewhere in the line.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:47 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Update:

My Horizon 2000 has two brass check valves. They both are brass about 3 inches long male on both ends and the same model check valve for cold in to the hot water heater and hot out of the heater. HOWEVER on my 2000 Horizon none are attached directly to the hot water heater. The cold in is located behind the water heater in the same compartment as the water heater. The hot out is located on the other side of the coach behind the white panel where the water fill knob is located. After you remove the white panel (about 10 screws) the brass check valve is easy to spot.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:50 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Well, I am jumping to 2006 here. My Voyage has 2 check valves - in (cold) and out (hot). Of course they flow in opposite directions so make sure they are both not installed the same way.

Also of note, my Voyage has the winterizing valve labeled backwards! What the valve has labeled winterizing is actually normal operation and vice-versa. This drove me crazy for a while after I bought this thing, because I was having your problem -- no hot water.

I hope this helps.
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:11 PM   #6

I have a 2003 Journey DL. Had similar problem this week. The culprit was the brass valve behind water heater. Drain water heater first and shut water supply off. Open up access panel under rv behind water heater, use a channellock pliers, screwed off the valve. Once its off there is a spring and a plastic plunger located inside the valve. Rip them out and screw valve back on. You will then have water from hot water faucet side. I plan on replacing valve soon with a new one but it works fine this way in meantime. Your problem, however, is the valve located in water service compartment. Even easier to get at then the one behind water heater. Unscrew metal covering, locate brass valve and pull out metal spring and plastic plunger. then reinstall and you should be good to go. I actually gutted this valve first as it was easier to reach, lol, but ended up not being my problem.
stardalo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atwood, heater, water, water heater