Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2013, 01:42 PM   #1

Noise after using microwave - Help!

I have a Highpoint convection microwave oven (#EC028BSC) above the gas range in a 2012 Itasca Sunstar 26P that appears to cause a repetitive clanging-type noise in the area behind the gas stove or oven area.

The noise will often start soon after using the microwave for a few minutes and seems to persist for 3 minutes or longer depending on how many minutes the microwave is in use, usually less than 8 minutes total time.

The noise is often present, but of course it did not/would not occur while a RV electrician was checking out the RV last week and replacing the automatic transfer switch. The noise is back after we got home, so it appears not to be related to the transfer switch failure.

Have any others experienced any type of noise after using the microwave oven?

I would really appreciate any suggestions on what may be causing the noise and especially on whether I should be concerned about electrical safety issues.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and comments.
LadyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2013, 01:57 PM   #2

LadyJ... I once upon a time worked for GE and in the microwaves that we created at GE there is a small microwave scattering device.....that looks like a fan. It spins around and helps bounce the microwaves around in the unit more evenly. If that fan is miss aligned it will make a clanking noise as the microwaves start hitting it...and as it moves a little faster it can stop and then have the noise return again. I am going to state that you can not work on this type of device yourself ... this is more an appliance repair persons domain.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:45 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You didn't say the noise was coming from the high-mounted microwave but from behind the cabinet-height stove oven. If it is the microwave area making the noise then Craig has a good thought.

So I'm thinking two other possibilities... do you have an external vent in that area outside that might be related to a vent for the convection/microwave or stovetop or oven? Sometimes these flap depending on wind direction etc.

Have you looked (by pulling out drawers) at what Winnie might installed under/behind the cabinets? Sometimes they install things like an AC/DC converter in that area that might have a cooling fan that's turning on and off with something hitting the blades?

Just a couple out-of-box ideas...
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:04 PM   #4

Noise after using microwave - Help!

I am very appreciative of the 3 different suggestions. The noise seems lower, toward the gas range/oven area and might sound like something hitting against a fan,so my next thought is to extend a mirror toward the back side of gas oven area from the drawer space below to see if there is some type of fan / wire or other obstruction up behind the gas oven, then seek out professional assistance as needed to prevent a possible electrical safety issue in the future. Thanks again!
LadyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:01 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Check on the WB site for your wiring diagrams, this might help figure out whats behind there, it might be the converter.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote