Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2020, 05:31 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Norcold refrigerator not working on propane

Norcold refrigerator not switching to propane on 08 Itasca meridian.

I try to change the mode from AC to propane and it says no flame. I make sure the propane valve outside is open but still no love.

Is there another valve on the refrigerator that I need to open or a procedure to light a pilot?

Thanks for any replies.
kongmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2020, 07:55 PM   #2

Has the propane been of for a while?

We had to cycle the power several times to get the air out of the line after propane was turned off for a while.

It tries to light for a period of time and then quits with the message.

After several cycles the air was purged and it's worked fine from there on.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:46 PM   #3

I light the stove to purge the line if the propane was turned off for awhile before i turn on fridge.

If its still not lighting you could have a rusted out burner, look in the round metal access port outside near bottom right to inspect burner.

Or bad electronic board - have someone be outside when u select gas and listen for a ticking sound which is a spark to light the flame, if its there the electronic board is probably good.

Also check for 12v power to the fridge if the spark cant be heard. Wires will be on outside connected to the electronic board.

Good luck hope this helps
Old 08-03-2020, 05:08 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks so much guys! That gives me some things to look at. I will report back.
Old 08-03-2020, 08:27 PM   #5

Mine did the same thing this spring. Worked well on A/C but on propane it would light and run for 5 to 25 seconds and then shut down. I would get the propane fail indication.
I disconnected the A/C and the house battery for a week or so, while I was pondering what to do. When I turned the whole system on without the A/C at the back of the refrigerator plugged in for troubleshooting, it ran just fine on propane. Been working fine for about a month. Both A/C and propane are now OK. Now I don't know what to fix!!
Old 08-03-2020, 08:45 PM   #6

If you google Norcold Service Manual Publication 619394E there is a good flow chart on page 12 for no flame problem.
Maybe this link will work. http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/ncoldnnewnseries.pdf
Stan
Old 08-03-2020, 09:03 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
No Flame

Norcold service manuals for your fridge are downloadable and help to diagnose problems. The fridge display will show a fault code that you can look up and a troubleshooting guide.I had a no flame code,tried everything but nothing worked. Then I noticed the flame sensor was loose where it was mounted and I could wiggle it around.It was small and delicate but I carefully drilled out the little loose rivet and used a small screw to tighten it. Next time I turned on the fridge everything worked great. Another time my house batteries stopped charging on the road. The fridge never started normally again until I looked up how to erase all the fault codes in the control panel. All in the service manual
fasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 09:33 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Norcold refrigerator not working on propane

Mine tends to be finicky sometimes as well. Tried starting mine up tonight and got the nofl code. Tried numerous times with same results. It sounded like it would initially light off but then go out. I went outside and pulled the inspection cover on the side of the MH. As soon as I pulled the cover off the coach, it lit off on the first try. Not the first time this happened. It’s done this several times before.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 09:53 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Do you have 12 volts going to the refrigerator?
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 11:49 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Let's check the simple stuff first: 1)Is the igniter sparking? There should be a gap of approx 1/16" from the center electrode to the ground electrode. Sometimes stuff gets in the gap and closes it off. If so, clean it and regap using needle-nose pliers. Then, with the gas off, have someone try to lite the fridge while you watch for a spark. If there's a spark, then open gas valve and try again. 2) ther's typically a lot of rust in the flue, which frequently falls down and plugs the burner, Take a magnet over the burner and see if you can collect the rust. Then brush off any remaining. 3)If flame lights, the goes out after a few seconds, the thermocoulple is either bad or dirty (see 2, above). Easy to replace.

Then I'd call Winne Tech at 800.537-1885 and talk to them

I'd do these checks before I'd dive into pressure regulators, gas valves, control boards,...

Skip Y
2010 Journey
WIT Club 47083, FMCA F263635
Loc:, MI

These fixes are easy, and occur frequently. After that you have to check f
Skip Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 11:57 AM   #11

Norcold fridge spark gap.........recommended is 1/8" to 3/16" between electrode and burner

Too close no spark/too wide weak spark

2008 vintage would use the Spark Electrode to provide High Voltage spark for ignition BUT it is also used for return path of the 'FLame Proving' signal....milliamp current generated by flame ionization
If Spark Electrode is dirty (soot/carbon) high voltage spark can occur BUT milliamp signal can NOT be sensed by circuit board and it drops DC to gas valve so raw fuel doesn't accumulate (clean electrode using emery cloth)

Spark electrode needs to be directly over center of burner slot and engulfed in flame when it lites off--so flame proving signal can be generated

Dirty burner tube slots......no ignition of propane/air mixture
Lack of use........propane flow can take several attempts to establish good flow thru fridge gas valve (system is only 0.4 psi)
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 11:26 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks to everyone for your helpful replies.

I kept trying it until it finally began to work. Hopefully it will work when I'm ready for it. I did notice that every time I touched the small middle wire attached to the small 3 wire electronic board attached to the outside fixture the red light on the board would start flashing. Don't know if that's a short or what but I suppose time will reveal.
Old 08-05-2020, 11:40 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kongmen View Post
Thanks to everyone for your helpful replies.

I kept trying it until it finally began to work. Hopefully it will work when I'm ready for it. I did notice that every time I touched the small middle wire attached to the small 3 wire electronic board attached to the outside fixture the red light on the board would start flashing. Don't know if that's a short or what but I suppose time will reveal.

Sounds like the propane flow finally reached the fridge gas valve

As for the middle wire on small board....that sounds like a 'reignitor' board
OR
It is the Recall Box...........and the Flashing Red light

1) FAST Blinking.......loss of stack sensor communications
2) SLOW Blinking.....loss/Low DC Voltage
****probably #2 cause wiggling the wire is interrupting the DC circuit

BUT w/o ACTUAL MODEL of your fridge hard to really provide much help
Suspect it is a 1200 Series

POST the MODEL and Serial Number for specific info pertaining to the actual wiring schematic which can be posted in response

Wiggling wires is never a good thing!
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 03:51 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Model number 1211im

Serial number 10811442

Thanks for any information.

Oh and BTW it wasn't necessarily wiggling wires it was more like just touching or moving the wires to one side.

Tags
norcold, propane, refrigerator