Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2020, 10:41 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Smile NTM 2002 Winnie Adventurer 32V Owner - Howdy

Hello all...

We just closed a deal on our very first RV, we pick her up on Weds. We have looked at many; Fleetwood Bounder, Coachmen, Tiffin, Newmar, Monaco etc. We wanted something in the 30'-36' range, and we had a very tight budget, $15-25K.

Looking for something that had reasonable miles, well cared for, and in good working order. We almost pulled trigger until our last stop on our tour around town looking at all the used ones that met our criteria one way or another. Last stop, we came upon this gem. Older couple, big Winnie fans, this was his 6th one. He was in the club and bought this from his friend. We were amazed at how well the exterior was and the interior. Both in excellent shape with very min wear. Motor is Vortec Workhorse chassis with V8 342 HP. She runs well, engine was clean. Generator worked, heating and cooling worked. We have to test the fridge yet, Norcold, no idea on model# yet, I forgot to get that info. New tires all around with less than 1,000 miles, but they are 4 years old. He had her in for full maintenance about 4 years ago, and then stored her in his custom barn. Took it out once or twice a year to drive her around town and that was it. 51K on the ODO clock. New propane tank too.

I checked all sliders, all work fine. We had a little hydraulic leak in rear bedroom area under, and he had that fixed today. Also we have one sticky jack. I am sure it just needs a cleaning. engine shroud was replaced as well. I need to adjust the hood, seems top part doesn't want to snug up...

Air horns don't work, I need to look into those. Stairs light is burnt out. Electric porch Awning (Dometic) seems to stick a little in left corner and needs a little help, I am sure that is just an adjustment? He has spot light on top, but he forgot how to turn it on, and it has a remote? Elect slider couch, lays down just fine, but needs help when trying to retract back into upward position, he said he never used it, might need some lube or cleaning?

Does the fridge that comes with these run on either gas and/or electric?

Anyone who knows anything about these that has some heads up on known issues or advice I should be aware of, please feel free to chime in.

Also, where is a good place to buy parts? Seems the Winnie online owners store sucks, cant search and find anything on it. Also anyone know where I can find a center drink console thingy that goes over the doghouse? Something like in the picture I have attached.

Thank you for your time, and I look forward to gaining and sharing all kinds of knowledge from and with everyone...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5f59d6ae88751d4e166cf0aa.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	301111  
ChristoRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2020, 03:10 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Congratulations, you have a top of the line unit.
They don't make them like this anymore.

I have a 2001 32v on a Ford F-53 Chassis.

I have had my unit for about 7 years and have gone through just about everything for repairs, adjustments, etc.
So, I may be able to help you with any questions.

Couple of big items that you may want to check out.

If you have a "Coach Heater", be sure that the fan works BOTH on Hi and Lo Settings.
The toggle switch should be on the dash with the other toggle switches. There has been an ongoing issue with the birdcage moving on the shaft resulting in the cage hitting the housing and blowing a fuse.

Also, get under the unit and check the rear control bar bushings. Mine were completely disintegrated and I had to replace them with new ones. I have some photos of these if interested.

My frig works BOTH on 120v electric as well as propane.
It will switch automatically from 120v to propane and back. Does not work on 12v, BUT needs 12v to function. I had to get a new frig a couple of years ago. Mine wouldn't cool anymore.

For parts, there are complete parts diagrams, electric diagrams, etc. available on the internet.
Here is a start: https://winnebagoparts.com/

Also, I just had to order a new Outer Bath Shower Skylight.
Mine developed 2 cracks and started to leak.
Be sure to check for stains due to leakage.

Be sure your generator starts and runs OK.
Be sure your AC works. I have Basement compressors, you may have roof units.

Your roof is probable a one piece fiberglass as is mine.
The fiberglass fits into a narrow channel on each side of the coach. This channel is sealed with a special adhesive. BE SURE that this seal is intact. I had to reseal mine 2 years ago. This is a common repair due to age and weather.

My list could go on and on...........these units require a lot of care.

Advise how you make out in inspecting the items that I mentioned.
Thanks.
winnie32v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:35 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristoRV View Post
Hello all...

We just closed a deal on our very first RV, we pick her up on Weds. We have looked at many; Fleetwood Bounder, Coachmen, Tiffin, Newmar, Monaco etc. We wanted something in the 30'-36' range, and we had a very tight budget, $15-25K.

Looking for something that had reasonable miles, well cared for, and in good working order. We almost pulled trigger until our last stop on our tour around town looking at all the used ones that met our criteria one way or another. Last stop, we came upon this gem. Older couple, big Winnie fans, this was his 6th one. He was in the club and bought this from his friend. We were amazed at how well the exterior was and the interior. Both in excellent shape with very min wear. Motor is Vortec Workhorse chassis with V8 342 HP. She runs well, engine was clean. Generator worked, heating and cooling worked. We have to test the fridge yet, Norcold, no idea on model# yet, I forgot to get that info. New tires all around with less than 1,000 miles, but they are 4 years old. He had her in for full maintenance about 4 years ago, and then stored her in his custom barn. Took it out once or twice a year to drive her around town and that was it. 51K on the ODO clock. New propane tank too.

I checked all sliders, all work fine. We had a little hydraulic leak in rear bedroom area under, and he had that fixed today. Also we have one sticky jack. I am sure it just needs a cleaning. engine shroud was replaced as well. I need to adjust the hood, seems top part doesn't want to snug up...

Air horns don't work, I need to look into those. Stairs light is burnt out. Electric porch Awning (Dometic) seems to stick a little in left corner and needs a little help, I am sure that is just an adjustment? He has spot light on top, but he forgot how to turn it on, and it has a remote? Elect slider couch, lays down just fine, but needs help when trying to retract back into upward position, he said he never used it, might need some lube or cleaning?

Does the fridge that comes with these run on either gas and/or electric?

Anyone who knows anything about these that has some heads up on known issues or advice I should be aware of, please feel free to chime in.

Also, where is a good place to buy parts? Seems the Winnie online owners store sucks, cant search and find anything on it. Also anyone know where I can find a center drink console thingy that goes over the doghouse? Something like in the picture I have attached.

Thank you for your time, and I look forward to gaining and sharing all kinds of knowledge from and with everyone...

Welcome!!

We have an ‘03 33V with a W-20 Workhorse chassis.

I believe you’ll like the 8.1L with this chassis. Ours drives and handles great with no upgrades. Strong and quiet.

Check it out good since it’s been sitting. Lack of use is problematic in itself.

Sticky jack. Clean them then exercise them, a lot. If it’s an HWH system check the springs, probably the old style straight ones vs the updated tapered stronger ones. New ones helped ours.

Couch. Ours moves fine but is pretty noisy as were the ones in other coaches we looked at.

Fridge. As previously stated. Works very well.

WinnebagoParts. Lots of stuff but can be difficult to navigate. Call ‘em, can be easier.

Center console. ???? That’s the one we have.

Ours doesn’t have an air horn.

Monitor and check roof line as stated.

Have fun, good luck and keep us updated!!
bobmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 03:19 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie32v View Post
Congratulations, you have a top of the line unit.
They don't make them like this anymore.

I have a 2001 32v on a Ford F-53 Chassis.

I have had my unit for about 7 years and have gone through just about everything for repairs, adjustments, etc.
So, I may be able to help you with any questions.

Couple of big items that you may want to check out.
Quote:

If you have a "Coach Heater", be sure that the fan works BOTH on Hi and Lo Settings.
The toggle switch should be on the dash with the other toggle switches. There has been an ongoing issue with the birdcage moving on the shaft resulting in the cage hitting the housing and blowing a fuse.
Saw switch on "dash", if memory serves, what does this do?

Quote:

Also, get under the unit and check the rear control bar bushings. Mine were completely disintegrated and I had to replace them with new ones. I have some photos of these if interested.
Will inspect! Thanks for heads up!

Quote:
My frig works BOTH on 120v electric as well as propane.
It will switch automatically from 120v to propane and back. Does not work on 12v, BUT needs 12v to function. I had to get a new frig a couple of years ago. Mine wouldn't cool anymore.
I need to test fridge... and get propane tank filled.

Quote:
For parts, there are complete parts diagrams, electric diagrams, etc. available on the internet.
Here is a start: https://winnebagoparts.com/
I downloaded all the catalogues and parts specs and stuff, but when I try and search in the store using the part numbers, nothing comes up as expected. I have done many part searches for items I own, for some reason Winnie and their parts do not seem to coincide to well, or I am obviously doing something very wrong.

Quote:
Also, I just had to order a new Outer Bath Shower Skylight.
Mine developed 2 cracks and started to leak.
Be sure to check for stains due to leakage.

Your roof is probable a one piece fiberglass as is mine.
The fiberglass fits into a narrow channel on each side of the coach. This channel is sealed with a special adhesive. BE SURE that this seal is intact. I had to reseal mine 2 years ago. This is a common repair due to age and weather.
Roof is AOK, but will have it inspected, no leaks, no stains, and no cracks anywhere, yet.

Quote:
Be sure your generator starts and runs OK.
Be sure your AC works. I have Basement compressors, you may have roof units.
Gen works perfect, stated in my OP, and we also tested A/C, seems to work ok, I need to test some more and check any filters???

Quote:
My list could go on and on...........these units require a lot of care.

Advise how you make out in inspecting the items that I mentioned.
Thanks.
I figured they need some ongoing TLC... I like to tinker...
Old 09-15-2020, 03:21 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmar View Post
Welcome!!

We have an ‘03 33V with a W-20 Workhorse chassis.

I believe you’ll like the 8.1L with this chassis. Ours drives and handles great with no upgrades. Strong and quiet.

Check it out good since it’s been sitting. Lack of use is problematic in itself.

Sticky jack. Clean them then exercise them, a lot. If it’s an HWH system check the springs, probably the old style straight ones vs the updated tapered stronger ones. New ones helped ours.

Couch. Ours moves fine but is pretty noisy as were the ones in other coaches we looked at.

Fridge. As previously stated. Works very well.

WinnebagoParts. Lots of stuff but can be difficult to navigate. Call ‘em, can be easier.

Center console. ???? That’s the one we have.

Ours doesn’t have an air horn.

Monitor and check roof line as stated.

Have fun, good luck and keep us updated!!
Thanks, as soon as we take possession, the more thorough inspection begins!
Old 09-15-2020, 05:34 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner

Toggle switch should have Hi and Lo settings with "off" in the middle. This switch operates a 'bird cage' fan that blows hot air from a separate heat exchanger using radiator coolant. Just like the conventional heater in the firewall. This is a separate unit that is located in the floor duct used for the propane heater.
Result is that hot air will be forced through the floor ducts and will heat your coach. Blend doors will isolate the heater NOT in use.
We use this when we head south and never need a coat while driving.
Failure mode:
The birdcage moves on the shaft and eventually contacts the wall of the housing. This causes a hi amp condition and will blow a fuse. If one speed works ok and the other doesn't, then you have a bad resistor and that needs to be replaced.

Advise how you make out.
Old 09-15-2020, 07:45 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Lightbulb

Quote:

Toggle switch should have Hi and Lo settings with "off" in the middle. This switch operates a 'bird cage' fan that blows hot air from a separate heat exchanger using radiator coolant. Just like the conventional heater in the firewall. This is a separate unit that is located in the floor duct used for the propane heater.
Result is that hot air will be forced through the floor ducts and will heat your coach. Blend doors will isolate the heater NOT in use.
We use this when we head south and never need a coat while driving.
Failure mode:
The birdcage moves on the shaft and eventually contacts the wall of the housing. This causes a hi amp condition and will blow a fuse. If one speed works ok and the other doesn't, then you have a bad resistor and that needs to be replaced.

Advise how you make out.
Ok, I will check it out, THANKS!
Old 09-16-2020, 04:52 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here are some photos of the rear sway bar bushings that I replaced.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010081.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	301205   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010082.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	301206  

Name:	P1010088.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	301207   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010089.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	301208  

Old 09-16-2020, 08:26 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Post Repairs...

So we picked her up tonight! We are SOOOOO excited and VERY happy with this purchase... she has been sitting so we started to go through her and make our list;

Engine;

Runs good and strong, but she will need an oil change and some maintenance.

We also have an odd smell coming from motor when she is warmed up, like something is burning? Smells like rubber? Smells worse when sitting at a light versus moving.

A/C seems a to be a tad weak.

All exterior lights work. I need new bulbs for the basement water closet, and a few bulbs for the other basement compartments.

Need to check tire air pressure.

Brakes are great!

Interior;

Need more bulbs. Bedroom bedside lights, overhead dash light. Is there a build list from Winnie?

Furnace and A/C filters need to be replaced, looks like they have not been touched since she was new, serious 1" on dirt on those things! Yuck!

Handheld CB - needs to be replaced.

Need updated radio w/Apple CarPlay - gotta have my GPS stuff n junk.

It has a Winnie Satellite system - no idea how it works, owner had no clue either.

Fridge works find on electricity, will test using propane once I get tank checked and filled.

Nothing major yet - all just minor odds and ends...
Old 09-16-2020, 08:47 PM   #10

We bought our W-20 from Douglasville, Ga. Jan. 2002, the chassis
was built on THE 9/11/2001. Coach has been mostly trouble free.
I have fought the fiber glass roof from the first year, to about 5 yrs.
ago. The fact that I could not get anything to stick to the aluminum
rail. So I finally bought a role of Eternabond, cut about 1 inch strips
and placed it on the channel rail to the fiber glass roof.
I did have a friend loose his fiber glass roof about 5 yrs. ago.
I think the insurance paid for it. Didn't ask!!!

ALso Winnie has a problem with the top of the windshield frame
rusting and leaking at the top of the shield. Altho my coach
has been keep inside for 19 yrs. I have a leak at the top of the
windshield. This is a work in progress at this time.....coop
coopcolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 10:50 PM   #11

Congratulations, that is a great rig.We have owed 3 Winnebagos, the first two were the Adventurer model, then we retired and went with a Journey model. The 2002 Adventurer (35U) was a great coach for us, we bought ours used in 2012 and drove it for 6 years, pretty much trouble free, other than the usual maintenance and minor repairs. The Workhorse W series chassis, 8.1 Chevy, and Allison transmission is a great combo. too bad that they don't have that combo anymore. That rig also has many features that are standard, such as motoraid hot water, etc.
Have fun!
Old 09-16-2020, 11:15 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalifCruiser View Post
Congratulations, that is a great rig.We have owed 3 Winnebagos, the first two were the Adventurer model, then we retired and went with a Journey model. The 2002 Adventurer (35U) was a great coach for us, we bought ours used in 2012 and drove it for 6 years, pretty much trouble free, other than the usual maintenance and minor repairs. The Workhorse W series chassis, 8.1 Chevy, and Allison transmission is a great combo. too bad that they don't have that combo anymore. That rig also has many features that are standard, such as motoraid hot water, etc.
Have fun!
Thanks! Appreciate the info you shared, good to know she's solid... I tried to do as much homework as I could... we look forward to some trips and camping... must admit I a a but overwhelmed - so many things to check and test... but that is also half the fun!

Taking her in next week for a tune and fluid change... and to find out what the funny smell is when at idle... something is heating up and stinking...
Old 09-17-2020, 04:24 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
[QUOTE
Taking her in next week for a tune and fluid change... and to find out what the funny smell is when at idle... something is heating up and stinking...[/QUOTE]

Remove the doghouse cover and look for a critter's nest, etc.
Good place to set up home....................
Old 09-17-2020, 03:30 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Smile

Quote:
[QUOTE
Taking her in next week for a tune and fluid change... and to find out what the funny smell is when at idle... something is heating up and stinking...
Remove the doghouse cover and look for a critter's nest, etc.
Good place to set up home....................[/QUOTE]

Good idea, need to figure out how to do that.. LOL Does it just lift up and away? Or is there a latch? Be nice, don't make fun of us n00beeze...

Tags
adventurer, vent