Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2020, 05:54 PM   #43

Winnebago Owners Club
Congrats, greatvrig. We bought a 2003 adventurer 35u 5 years ago. Workhouse chassis 8.1 liter engine is great. Hope you have many years of enjoyment. We will probably have to sell ours soon due to age and health. Will really miss a great vehicle
James Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2020, 05:54 PM   #44

2002 Winnebago

I've had my 2002 35' Adventurer since 2005. Still loving it! One thing I did find, the first few months we had it, was that the brakes had been recalled. Evidently Bendix did the brakes on the workhorse chassis models. Well, my guess is that the original owner got the recall notice but had already sold it so didn't pass the info on.
Might be what you are smelling when you get to a stop sign or light. I recommend checking to see that the recall has been corrected.
Swymmer
2002 Winnebago 35R Adventurer
1976 Toyota FJ40
Swymmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 08:28 PM   #45

Brake Recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swymmer View Post
I've had my 2002 35' Adventurer since 2005. Still loving it! One thing I did find, the first few months we had it, was that the brakes had been recalled. Evidently Bendix did the brakes on the workhorse chassis models. Well, my guess is that the original owner got the recall notice but had already sold it so didn't pass the info on.
Might be what you are smelling when you get to a stop sign or light. I recommend checking to see that the recall has been corrected.
Swymmer
2002 Winnebago 35R Adventurer
1976 Toyota FJ40

I was just reading through this post. I just bought (14 days ago) a 2003 Adventurer with 5600 miles on it. Just saw about the brake recall. Any idea of how to check to see if recall work had been done? Are they still fixing the recalled brakes for free? Who would I call??

Thanks in advance for the info!
Kristoph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 08:43 PM   #46

Check with edgray on this forum for info on recall items. He’s got the inside story!!
bobmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:11 AM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmar View Post
Check with edgray on this forum for info on recall items. He’s got the inside story!!
I done did, he sent me all kinds of goodies of info I will be taking to the dealership/mechanic, seems according to their records this has not had the work done yet...
ChristoRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:16 AM   #48

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 747Driver View Post
We loved our '03 33V! Workhorse chassis with Allison is much better combo than our new F53. We drive up to Lake Tahoe via HWY 50 a couple times a year, and the WH never got below 45 MPH on the climb. The Ford is down to 35 MPH in a couple spots.

On the down side, I like the way the F53 handles on the level road a lot better.

The WH chassis air sucks! When on the road, most run the generator and use house A/C. You will get better gas mileage and will be much cooler! Ford AC is much better.

There are some issues with the breaks. Check for recalls. We had the break recall dealt with in 2016 by a Chevy dealer, before selling. They were still covering it. You will get moisture in the break system. I lost the breaks coming down the hill when it was 5 years old. Bled the breaks and never had another issue. Bled every four years after that!

The fan everyone is talking about is a real pain to replace! Mine froze up by year three. We never used it, wasn't an issue. It is great for cold Wx driving as the chassis heater will not keep the whole coach warm, depending on how cold it is outside.

The only mod I did was wire the plug by the passenger to the inverter, so DW had AC power when we were driving. The plug gets it's power from up in the cabinet, so real easy to run the wire over to the plug from the inverter to entertainment system.

Mine sat outside and by year seven, the roof seam needed to be redone. I cleaned it out and used adhesive recommended by Winne. Took two days. A lot of help available online with how to do it.

OH, I almost forgot, never leave the key in the ignition. Things get powered up by putting the key in and it will kill your battery....ask me?

Enjoy!
You're right, the A/C does suck! I figured it just needed a check up and refill... hoping that helps.

She goes in next week for a complete and thorough chassis check up, including the brakes. Ed sent me into and according to the paperwork, the brakes have not been addressed yet.

Haven't tried the fan yet - I will have to see if mine works... who does the repair on that? Mechanic or House fixers?

I have been reading some regarding the roof seam, how do you know when it is time?
Old 09-25-2020, 07:35 AM   #49

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I did not realize there were that many 32V owners out there.
I have a 2002 Itasca Suncruiser, G32V on a Ford F53 with a V-10.
You are so lucky ChristoRV to get so much great advice and information about your new rig in this one post. An RV is a complex system and it is very helpful to have iRV2 available to learn from.
I want to give you some info as well, hopefully not duplicating what others have told you already. I will write up and post soon.
One improvement was to replace the 17 year old carpet with vinyl flooring (last year). I was going to add photos to this post, but realized I don’t know how. Maybe someone can educate me.
Working from my iPad.
johninga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:42 AM   #50

To the contrary, our ‘03 33V Winnie Adventurer Workhorse cab air is cold and haven’t had an issue....yet. Never needed to run the generator for the house air to keep us comfortable.
Just sayin’!
bobmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:25 AM   #51

A few more thoughts about a Winnie

Hi, congrats on a Winnebago purchase. We got ours in 2017, couldn't be happier. In reading all the replies, I saw two items I could comment on:

Shore power does in fact charge up my '09 Vista 26P coach and chassis batteries. I thought they all did.

I had batteries go dead in the coach at first (long story), so I went online/ebay and found a little device for a few bucks that plugs into the coach's cigarette lighter receptacle- shows you the current battery voltages. Bought two (the other one is for the chassis battery cig lighter on the dash) and I always leave them in place. I am parked at home with good shore power, and this way I KNOW the status of all 3 of my batteries at home and on the road.

Good luck to you.
Attached Images

Old 09-25-2020, 04:39 PM   #52

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by johninga View Post
I did not realize there were that many 32V owners out there.
I have a 2002 Itasca Suncruiser, G32V on a Ford F53 with a V-10.
You are so lucky ChristoRV to get so much great advice and information about your new rig in this one post. An RV is a complex system and it is very helpful to have iRV2 available to learn from.
I want to give you some info as well, hopefully not duplicating what others have told you already. I will write up and post soon.
One improvement was to replace the 17 year old carpet with vinyl flooring (last year). I was going to add photos to this post, but realized I don’t know how. Maybe someone can educate me.
Working from my iPad.
Yes! This forum and group of peeps have been VERY helpful... it does calm one's nerves! So much to learn and do... I am a geek at heart so all the workings are fun for me, to a point! But everyone has been so nice in offering up advice and assistance!

On this model we have - we have the best of both worlds - hard floor AND carpet! We will be getting the carpet cleaned soon... but we have a pooch and the last RV we rented they had removed ALL carpet and just had the vinyl flooring and our lab-doodle was not a fan! LMAO she scooted everywhere.... she likes the carpet and that makes momma happy which makes me happy - ya know the rules.
Old 09-25-2020, 04:40 PM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
To the contrary, our ‘03 33V Winnie Adventurer Workhorse cab air is cold and haven’t had an issue....yet. Never needed to run the generator for the house air to keep us comfortable.
Just sayin’!
Oh, good to know, I am hoping she just needs a recharge and check up...
Old 09-25-2020, 04:55 PM   #54

Brake Recall

Quote:
Thanks!!
Kristoph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 06:19 PM   #55

Angry Dreaded Parking Brake Issues

I am surprised, with all the wonderful and interesting comments re Adventurers in the 20-ish year old range, that no one has mentioned the Workhorse parking brake issue!
We have an '01 Adventurer 32V w/ a Workhorse 8.1. It has 82,000 miles and runs/drives like a champ. The only serious issue we have had is the @%#!$@ electric/hydraulic PARKING BRAKE system. It is pretty well documented in another forum on this site. It works great til it doesn't and you could easily be stranded in the middle of the road if it fails at the wrong time. The GM electric/hydraulic switches fail (even new ones), ask how I know. You must get some good advice from elsewhere on this forum before venturing too far from home.
Ask how I know X2!!!
Love the coach otherwise.
elgordo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:03 PM   #56

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgordo302 View Post
I am surprised, with all the wonderful and interesting comments re Adventurers in the 20-ish year old range, that no one has mentioned the Workhorse parking brake issue!
We have an '01 Adventurer 32V w/ a Workhorse 8.1. It has 82,000 miles and runs/drives like a champ. The only serious issue we have had is the @%#!$@ electric/hydraulic PARKING BRAKE system. It is pretty well documented in another forum on this site. It works great til it doesn't and you could easily be stranded in the middle of the road if it fails at the wrong time. The GM electric/hydraulic switches fail (even new ones), ask how I know. You must get some good advice from elsewhere on this forum before venturing too far from home.
Ask how I know X2!!!
Love the coach otherwise.
My e-brake is a pedal and cable... not the push-pull electric...

Tags
adventurer, vent