Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2020, 02:56 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Oh NO! I have a long hairline crack in roof

Hi all,

Once again posting my plea for help in figuring out the best way to do a repair on a long crack running along the top of my roof.

I just got back from a trip and bad weather is a comin! This coupled with my fear of height (which I shall overcome As Hey, I need to) is making me feel a bit desperate.

I have read lots of posts, here and on the net, and some say to just use a marine expoxy, while other posts indicate a much more complex process to do with sanding, applying a resin and a fiberglass mat.

Is there a definitive approach to this fix? And, should I consider a temporary patch given the cooling weather with a permanent one in the future and would I regret this? Or should I go with the right repair the first time and hope the weather will hold off?

If anyone out there has nothing better to do than take pity on a poor unfortunate newbie!! I would really appreciate your response.

Thanks, Terry
OnTheMove2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2020, 05:51 PM   #2

Well Terry,
I'm the kind-a guy that likes to fix things ONE TIME, and one time only. If it were mine, the answer is simple. I'd trace that crack as far as possible, including the use of a magnifying glass if needed. Then, after each end was found and marked, I'd begin by a thorough cleaning. And that means with some soap and water. Then, I'd hit it with either Lacquer thinner or alcohol. And I'd wipe it down several times.

Then, I'd break out some maybe 100 grit sand paper and, I'd maybe go at least an inch to an inch and a half on each side of the crack and sand away. I'd do that for both sides, end to end. Then, once more, a thorough wipe down and maybe blow things clean with compressed air, if you have access to it. That way, you'd blow out the crack too and that would remove any particles from that crack.

Then, I'd already have some fiberglass matting ready, cut to length and width. I'd mix up some fiberglass resin and hardner, enough to coat that sanded area, then lay down your matt, then another coat. And, a second layer of matt would be the ultimate, and a final coat of resin. DONE.

If you'd like, a nice, high quality, exterior paint, AUTOMOTIVE TYPE, not house paint, would dress up the repair, especially if you could find a close match to the actual color of the orginal fiberglass roof. That's what I'd do. In my opinion, anything else is a band aid.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 06:19 PM   #3

If the oncoming bad weather is making you do things faster than you would normally like, then you might simply cover the crack with Eternabond tape so that you can make further repair decisions at your leisure, without pressure.

If I was torn between repair methods, that's what I would do.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=eternabon...b_sb_ss_i_1_10

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 08:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby F View Post
If the oncoming bad weather is making you do things faster than you would normally like, then you might simply cover the crack with Eternabond tape so that you can make further repair decisions at your leisure, without pressure.

Who knows the Eternabond tape may last longer than the rest of the roof material.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 12:46 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Flexseal Paste it does it all, just clean the roof area real good and apply it overlapping the area. Or Flexseal tape. Quick and easy peasy.
Old 10-22-2020, 07:38 AM   #6

I am on the same page as "fireup" working with the fiberglass is a way lot easier than it sounds. Preparing the area is most important if you follow fireup's plan you can not go wrong.

I have used the fiberglass method on two cracks and would not go another way with a fiberglass roof.
be-happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 08:54 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Is this crack following a seam or other structural feature? It's one thing to have damage from an impact but a long crack implies something bigger is going on. Fiberglass is anything but brittle so for it to crack means some flexing or support failure.

From what I've read, Flex Seal is silicone based and I wouldn't be using that on an RV roof.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 10:29 AM   #8

All the above posts are the proper way to proceed, IMO, but a lot depends on your particular circumstance.

First, it is important to determine the cause of the crack, as mentioned. Without a picture we are just guessing as to how extreme the crack is as well as its cause. The fiberglass skin of the roof is very thin, but cracking is unusual without some causation.

Second, don't rush and if bad weather is coming a temporary patch is smart. Eternabond or Dicor will do fine. I cannot comment on FlexSeal.

Finally, if you eventually use fiberglass mat to do a permanent repair, be aware that it will always be visible as the area above the crack will be thicker than the rest of the roof, especially if you use more than one layer of fiberglass. This can be mitigated by lots of sanding and blending, but it will never go away.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 03:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
Flexseal Paste it does it all, just clean the roof area real good and apply it overlapping the area. Or Flexseal tape. Quick and easy peasy.
Many FlexSeal products contain petroleum distillates, or so says the container.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 04:16 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Eternabond goes on easy but it's a bear to remove.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby F View Post

2007 Forest River Lexington Ford E450 Chassis
bruceh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 05:28 PM   #11

Whichever method you use, I think I would find the end if the crack and drill a small hole at each end of it to help prevent further cracking.
49Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 05:47 PM   #12

I'd do it the way that FIRE-UP recommends but I would use fiberglass cloth instead of mat and use epoxy resin instead of polyester. The epoxy needs to be painted for uv protection - don't know about the polyester. The epoxy takes longer to cure but it also gives you a longer working time. Use disposable chip brushes to apply it and the biggest "secret" to using epoxy is to mix it thoroughly, then mix it some more - almost all epoxy failures are due to inadequate mixing. Whatever you do don't use silicone - nothing will ever stick to it so if it fails you have to remove every trace of it before you can do anything else.
johninsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 06:53 PM   #13

You can go to a automotive paint supplier and let them scan the roof and they put it in a aerosol can , paint and clear in one shot in my area it’s around $30 bucks a can sounds pricey but it’s good stuff
Mikesmowing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 03:05 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well Terry,
I'm the kind-a guy that likes to fix things ONE TIME, and one time only. If it were mine, the answer is simple. I'd trace that crack as far as possible, including the use of a magnifying glass if needed. Then, after each end was found and marked, I'd begin by a thorough cleaning. And that means with some soap and water. Then, I'd hit it with either Lacquer thinner or alcohol. And I'd wipe it down several times.

Then, I'd break out some maybe 100 grit sand paper and, I'd maybe go at least an inch to an inch and a half on each side of the crack and sand away. I'd do that for both sides, end to end. Then, once more, a thorough wipe down and maybe blow things clean with compressed air, if you have access to it. That way, you'd blow out the crack too and that would remove any particles from that crack.

Then, I'd already have some fiberglass matting ready, cut to length and width. I'd mix up some fiberglass resin and hardner, enough to coat that sanded area, then lay down your matt, then another coat. And, a second layer of matt would be the ultimate, and a final coat of resin. DONE.

If you'd like, a nice, high quality, exterior paint, AUTOMOTIVE TYPE, not house paint, would dress up the repair, especially if you could find a close match to the actual color of the orginal fiberglass roof. That's what I'd do. In my opinion, anything else is a band aid.
Scott
Hi Scott, sorry for the tardy response. I agree with you that doing it right the first time is always the very best approach, but I am running out of time. I have a number of family issues going on right now which keeps pulling me away from addressing this, so that plus the weather is giving me a headache. I’m not sure how quickly it will take for the resin to harden while I’m doing this, especially as the temperature is dropping and having to apply a second coat. Could I cover it with something to protect it from rain while it cures?

Thanks a bunch, Terry
OnTheMove2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, roof