Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2006, 12:55 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I ran a 20amp extension to MH.

The Powerline panel showed 30amp in, Xantrex all looked normal. I kicked on the elec heat thinkng the system would take care of things.

I pushed the 30/20amp select switch on Powerline thinking that was the safe bet. Well, even though the amps reading was ~16, everything clicked off.

I figured I blew a house breaker, nope. I checked all coach breakers I could think of, all look good.

So I hit the Invert button and the panel came back to life. But now the Powerline panel shows 50amp incoming but there is no amps reading, and the Xantrex is not showing Charge anymore. I tried off/on a couple times, unplugged from shore, no change.

Is there something else I should check, or did I do some damage?

crap.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:55 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I ran a 20amp extension to MH.

The Powerline panel showed 30amp in, Xantrex all looked normal. I kicked on the elec heat thinkng the system would take care of things.

I pushed the 30/20amp select switch on Powerline thinking that was the safe bet. Well, even though the amps reading was ~16, everything clicked off.

I figured I blew a house breaker, nope. I checked all coach breakers I could think of, all look good.

So I hit the Invert button and the panel came back to life. But now the Powerline panel shows 50amp incoming but there is no amps reading, and the Xantrex is not showing Charge anymore. I tried off/on a couple times, unplugged from shore, no change.

Is there something else I should check, or did I do some damage?

crap.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:20 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Did a circuit breaker at your source ( inside your house ) get triggered?
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 01:28 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

No, that's the weird thing. No breakers(coach or house) blew. It's like the inverter shutdown and now has "readings" I don't like. I am running rear LP heater now and believe I am running off battery power and not recharging.

Maybe I'll go fire up the Gen and see if things "change".
Old 12-31-2006, 01:55 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I went and looked, panel was the same and my batt indicator was down to yellow so was definitely running off batts.

I unplugged from shore, and fired up the generator, at first the Powerline panel showed both 50amp and Gen as power in. Then after 20secs or so the 50amp light went out. The Xantrex panel also then started showing "Charge" again. So it looks like things are now working correctly on Gen. I am going to let it run awhile, then will try switching back to shore power and see what happens.

Crossing my fingers...

Man, for new batteries(according to seller, and they look new), they sure don't seem to last long.
Old 12-31-2006, 04:57 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

There's a 30amp "push-in" type breaker mounted on the front of the Xantrec. I'lll bet it tripped. Reset it and all will be fine.
Roadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 06:09 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

McDuff -- The AC shore power for the 110v AC outlets comes from a 30 amp breaker in the coach main panel. This power then goes to the Xantrec 30 amp breaker then to a relay/switch in the Xantrec. From the relay/switch the power then goes to the sub panel and the various AC circuits in the coach. The relay/switch in the Xantrec switches when either the Generator is running, or when the invertor is turned on. This is why you have AC power (and the EMS panel illuminates) when the inverter is on or when the generator is on.

Reset the 30 amp "push in" breaker located on the front panel of the Xantrec invertor/charger and all will be fine.

Good luck.
Roadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 05:30 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Roadking - thanks for the info. Did not notice a breaker on front panel, I will check it when I go out later.

I was bummed last night, when I switched back to shore power, it was still screwed up. Might also try a different ext cord in a different plug, just for grins.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:03 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I have tried twice to run elec heat from a 20 amp source and have tripped the house breaker both times. The problem is that on start up the elec heat can easily overwhelm the 20 amp breaker. Using elec heat on less than a 30 amp source just doesn't work. If you don't have 30 amps either use the gas heat or the generator.
Navy Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 04:57 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Just to let everybody know <hanging head>

The extension cord/reel I was using(first time) also had a breaker in it. It was what was tripped.

Sheesh, you would think I'd know the KISS principle by now...

Thanks for all suggestions.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:35 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

McDuff,

I had a similar situation recently when I too tried to run the heat pump off of a 20 amp circut and an extension cord. Only in my system I have installed a 50 amp Surge Guard with high and low cut out protection. After about 10 seconds my surge guard cut power to the coach. It resets itself after about 2 minutes.

I highly recommend a surge guard for just this kind of situation. It could save you from low voltage at a RV park from ruining one or more of your eletrical appliances.

Sarge

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote