RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2011, 05:02 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Onan 7500 Quiet Generator leaking?

Good Day Everyone,
2001 Itasca Horizon – I found a small oil leak coming from the generator. The oil seems to be dripping from the bottom oil plug. Very, very small drip. If you wipe the nut/plug down it shows no sign of leaking. Only after a little time the oil builds up. Reading some other postings the suggestion has been removing the bolt, adding some Teflon tape. Before I do that, the unit needs to be serviced. Is it difficult to change filters, oil, fluids etc.? I figured I would change everything , use tape…make sure the filter is not leaking…and then see where we’re at. New to this so not sure how to access the above or where to pick up the filters….etc. As always thanks in advance for the help.
zoocrackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2011, 08:47 AM   #2

Mine is not on a slideout and an oil and filter change takes about 30 minutes, 10 of which is getting up off the ground. Very simple to do. Costs are filter of about $5-6 plus 3 qts of oil.

I run mine for about five minutes to heat up the oil so it will flow. Not too long or it gets too hot. I put a petcock in the drain hole to make it simple. It drains a bit slower but worth the longer time.
OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:38 AM   #3

My humble opinion is if you can change oil in an automobile you should be able to change it in the generator. Not much different in basics but access to filter & plug may be different.
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:47 AM   #4
KIX

My suggestion is to replace the oil drain plug when you drain the oil. And, don't overtighten the new one.
Filters available at Welcome to Filterbarn™ | Discount Oil Filters | Discount Air And Fuel Filters | Heavy Equipment and Diesel Engine Filters or Cummins dealer
Wear latex gloves and have an oil catch pan ready to catch the waste.
Be careful to not cross thread the fuel filter.
Change your air filter while you're servicing.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 10:14 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The little door on the bottom is partially blocked by a slide-out frame member on mine so I just remove the door from the hinge ...easy to do. Mine calls for Onan Filter 185-5409 or 0122-0833 at apx $18 from RV dealers, OR what I use is NAPA Gold 1064 at apx $9 (by Wix).
Blog at www.pjrider.com
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:35 PM   #6

I also remove the filter door. Makes access much better. Just twins bolts.
OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, onan