Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2008, 07:01 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a 2004 Adventurer 37b (Workhorse 8.1) and it has the Onan 5500 genset. Today it started and ran a few minutes and died. I saw the starter switch blinking but I didn't know what that meant. Anyway, after much reading I see that it was throwing an error 36 which meant probably out of fuel. I checked the other items like air filter,etc. All ok. I had checked my coach fuel gauge and at level it read almost 1/2 tank?? Long story short I tinkered quite a bit and then went to get gas. When I filled up, it took 57 gallons of fuel out of a possible 75. That meant that I was actually at 1/4 tank although my fuel gauge registered almost 1/2! Is this a common occurrence with this setup? Anyway to adjust the fuel reading?

Joe
JWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2008, 07:01 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a 2004 Adventurer 37b (Workhorse 8.1) and it has the Onan 5500 genset. Today it started and ran a few minutes and died. I saw the starter switch blinking but I didn't know what that meant. Anyway, after much reading I see that it was throwing an error 36 which meant probably out of fuel. I checked the other items like air filter,etc. All ok. I had checked my coach fuel gauge and at level it read almost 1/2 tank?? Long story short I tinkered quite a bit and then went to get gas. When I filled up, it took 57 gallons of fuel out of a possible 75. That meant that I was actually at 1/4 tank although my fuel gauge registered almost 1/2! Is this a common occurrence with this setup? Anyway to adjust the fuel reading?

Joe
JWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 07:20 PM   #3

Mine is off some also, have just gotten use to it. For one, mine won't come off full until I use 20 gals. Instead of 1/4 tank on the gauge, my gen will stop near 3/8.

Hasn't been a problem for me, I like to keep my tank topped off.
Old 01-12-2008, 07:30 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Same thing happened to me last fall in my '04 Sighseer 30.I was at about 3/8 of a tank when my genny quit on me.Drove out to the gas station,filled-up,and all was well.
I have read that the gas gauge is meant to read full for a longer period than it really is,Then as it starts to go down,it goes faster the closer it gets to M/T.Cars do the same thing!
Forget about adjusting the sending unit,not worth the trouble.

Workhorse W-22, UltraPower,496 cubic inches of
Whaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 04:31 PM   #5

Our Dielsel Journey does the same thing. I almost freaked on our first long trip when the genny cut off at 1/2 tank (per the guage). Then, when the tank took 67 gallons of Diesel (I have a 95 gal tank), it was evident that it was "around" 1/4 tank.

On a recent trip - the fuel needle was showing just OVER 1/2 tank and the genny cut off. It took 65ish gals - so same thing. These fuel guages stink! From now on, I am paying closer attention to miles driven between fill-ups.

I agree - it is annoying. I mean, with a 95 gallon tank, I really have 30 gals left over when I am forced to stop if I want to continue to run the gen. I personally, would rather NOT have the auto cut-off option. I'll never run out of diesel so I dont feel the need for that safe-guard.

Anyone disconnect this? If so, how?
flashajt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 05:20 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by flashajt:

Anyone disconnect this? If so, how? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Someone with more knowledge on this issue will probably reply, but I would guess that it's simply a matter of how long the generator fuel pick-up line is.. seems like we would just have to have a longer line installed.

I went dry camping and knew that I was between 1/2 and 1/4 tank of fuel. Though it was just 20 miles out to the beach, the generator didn't run for long. I'd like to have the fuel tank allow the generator more run time than 1/4 of a tank, especially since the fuel gauge isn't that accurate.
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote