Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2019, 02:52 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Olive,

Do you still have the old motor. My motor is fine but the plastic gear is missing some teeth. Fiamma wants $250 to replace the motor.
chuckers98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2019, 04:16 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckers98 View Post
Olive,

Do you still have the old motor. My motor is fine but the plastic gear is missing some teeth. Fiamma wants $250 to replace the motor.
Mine is not a Fiamma awning as I originally thought due to age of the RV. Dometic had replaced my awning after working on it several times for problems opening. The replacement is made by Dometic and has a different motor. It costs almost twice as much as the Fiamma motor.
Numbers 6:24-26
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 05:25 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckers98 View Post
Olive,

Just a thought, could you make a new gear using a 3d printer.
Might be a good excuse to get a new tool [emoji6]
Almost There is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 01:38 AM   #18

From Joan Austin in her earlier post:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/weat...ml#post3941195

Are these the teeth and wheel you need?

What about calling a junk yard?

Olive: Can you clarify: You say someone replaced your Fiamma motor with a Dometic motor... and that Dometic motor is not made by Fiamma?
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 05:09 PM   #19

See Attached Awning Repair Note For More Information

If you have trouble locating a shorter "compression pin" at HD or Lowe's then you will probably have better luck at an ACE Hardware store. This is where I bought mine... and it's okay if it's a 1/16" longer on each side, because then the shaft spins it does not hit anything.

Also, I attached a .pdf of my Awning Repair Notes that also have information on a few parts distributors and junk yards. Plus it has pictures.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RV AWNING REPAIR NOTES (For Distribution) (PDF).pdf (912.5 KB, 68 views)
Old 01-20-2020, 01:11 AM   #20

al1florida: I forgot to say you are very welcome. And I'm glad you emphasized the part about drilling a smaller hole first.

It took me a while to fix my front door awning, but it was my first effort. If I had to fix someone else's awning I think it would take 2 hours not 6.

Note: There seems to be a lot of different Fiama motor designs and they all seem "weak" compared to the idea of using a shaft-pin. Maybe in the future they will adapt this design. Of course, when you make one part ridged it follows that another part will fail if the mechanism gets jammed.

Anyway, for as little as I use the front door awning, I'm amazed it fails at all!

I also bet most people have never heard of this fix! ...but what are forums like this for if not to get the job done right, fast, and cheap! In this case the savings is hundreds! ...or thousands if the part people are saying you have to spend over $1,000 to replace your motorized front door awning. (NO WAY!)
Old 03-29-2020, 02:00 PM   #21

Thank you for this great write-up! I was out this weekend and this morning when I went to roll in my awning it wouldn't come in. The motor worked, just kept spinning though. I turned the coach off, dumped the air, slid the picnic table over and used a step stool to unscrew the awning from the coach so I could get home. I took the motor off just a few minutes ago and found this stripped out. I am def going to use this fix for mine. Thank you thank you thank you!
mattyrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 08:22 AM   #22

you are lucky to have an A&E awning -be glad it is not W5700 ALEKO, what a piece of S_ _ _- I bought a new motor and the instructions are all chinese with none helpful pictures, I don't know if I pull the old motor the spring will rewind or if it is a simple plug & play-Their website USELESS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4307.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	279746  
pushtrk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 07:12 AM   #23

akeko rv awning

Well aleko finally came through-they sent me the manual piece to open & close awning manually-they should spend more time teaching sales persons about how these things work
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4323.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	211.9 KB
ID:	280400  
pushtrk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 08:56 PM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
I know this is an old thread.. but I'm an OLD guy with an OLD motorhome .

My door awning has failed (06 Phaeton) - motor is good, but drive from cogged gear to fabric roll is BROKEN. The parts I need are shown in this diagram.

I've read most of the posts on irv2 about the door awning failures and would love to be able to get the blasted thing off the side of the rig to work on it, but it seems to be WELDED to the wall. I removed the 3 screws that seem to be the only thing holding it to the wall, but, unless there's another screw or 2 someplace, it just won't BUDGE. I can tell there is 'some' sealer, but I pried pretty hard on it and .. nope! I think the wall will tear away from the rig before the housing comes loose from that wall so it can slide off the awning rail at the top. Anyone actually been successful at getting one off without damaging the rig?

At any rate, I have managed to get the top cover off so I could remove the awning fabric and the roll that it's on and close up the assembly and ZIP TIE it closed. I was able to pry the bottom edges up JUST enough to slide zip ties up behind it, but they are 'not happy' since I had to angle them out at the top since the top 'awning rail' that holds the top cover is also SOLID against the rig - about 20 screws across the top of that rail and removing them would tear the paint in that area all to pieces.. so I left it alone.

After finally wrenching the motor assembly off (it too, was STUCK BIG TIME), the motor itself seems to work decently, but the shaft from the cogged plastic wheel is damaged significantly from a previous attempt a repair. Whoever did it drilled a HUGE hole in the shaft, then slapped a poor sheet metal screw through the 'awning side' into the 'motor side' and it all came apart .. badly. Here is a pic of what I have left to work with...

I can't weld on the motor shaft since it would melt the plastic gear and the fabric roll end is made of POT METAL .. pretty much unrepairable.

I have seen the recent post about Fiamma actually still being in existance in Florida, but have little hope that they will have new parts available for me when I can call them next week. SO.. I'm wondering if any of you might have an old unit sitting around with a bad motor .. or ripped fabric or whatever, that MIGHT have the motor drive shaft and roller end piece still intact on it.

The left circle in the parts diagram above is the plastic part between the motor and roller and it's cracked and damaged significantly as well and really NEEDS to be replaced, but I can probably salvage it if I have to.

Please post back here if you have anything that might help me out - or other ideas of how to fix it .. other than buying a completely new replacement assembly.

Thanks,
Steve
Near Athens, GA
2006 Tiffin Phaeton 35DH ~75k mi. Cat C7/350 on FL XC. Lots of FIXES - Worst thing is the FUEL mileage.. only ~7. My 1994 8.3 Cummins got almost 9 - NEW 'worst thing' - failed radiator overflow and radiator itself. WOW .. what a job!
SteveD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 10:35 PM   #25

There are over 3,000 RV junk yards around the US so maybe contact several and give your RV's particulars and see if you can get the entire assembly. Usually they have a crew pull them off of RV's so they're a bit more expensive then you'd like but whatever.

Here's a listing of some: Big list of salvage yards

If you can find one locally, they might even let you pull it yourself...

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 05:27 PM   #26

Thank you!

Thank you for posting this repair. I just spent a few hours and performed this repair and now the awning works perfectly!!!
Kamberson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 09:40 AM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveD View Post
I know this is an old thread.. but I'm an OLD guy with an OLD motorhome .

My door awning has failed (06 Phaeton) - motor is good, but drive from cogged gear to fabric roll is BROKEN. The parts I need are shown in this diagram.

I've read most of the posts on irv2 about the door awning failures and would love to be able to get the blasted thing off the side of the rig to work on it, but it seems to be WELDED to the wall. I removed the 3 screws that seem to be the only thing holding it to the wall, but, unless there's another screw or 2 someplace, it just won't BUDGE. I can tell there is 'some' sealer, but I pried pretty hard on it and .. nope! I think the wall will tear away from the rig before the housing comes loose from that wall so it can slide off the awning rail at the top. Anyone actually been successful at getting one off without damaging the rig?

At any rate, I have managed to get the top cover off so I could remove the awning fabric and the roll that it's on and close up the assembly and ZIP TIE it closed. I was able to pry the bottom edges up JUST enough to slide zip ties up behind it, but they are 'not happy' since I had to angle them out at the top since the top 'awning rail' that holds the top cover is also SOLID against the rig - about 20 screws across the top of that rail and removing them would tear the paint in that area all to pieces.. so I left it alone.

After finally wrenching the motor assembly off (it too, was STUCK BIG TIME), the motor itself seems to work decently, but the shaft from the cogged plastic wheel is damaged significantly from a previous attempt a repair. Whoever did it drilled a HUGE hole in the shaft, then slapped a poor sheet metal screw through the 'awning side' into the 'motor side' and it all came apart .. badly. Here is a pic of what I have left to work with...
...I have seen the recent post about Fiamma actually still being in existance in Florida, but have little hope that they will have new parts available for me when I can call them next week. SO.. I'm wondering if any of you might have an old unit sitting around with a bad motor .. or ripped fabric or whatever, that MIGHT have the motor drive shaft and roller end piece still intact on it.

The left circle in the parts diagram above is the plastic part between the motor and roller and it's cracked and damaged significantly as well and really NEEDS to be replaced, but I can probably salvage it if I have to.

Please post back here if you have anything that might help me out - or other ideas of how to fix it .. other than buying a completely new replacement assembly.

Just a quick note. Fiamma IS still in business and they were able to ship me a new pot metal casting to mate with the motor shaft drive. I really WANTED to improve that interface, but finally decided it was more effort than I had time at that moment .. and installed it as received. I hardly ever use it .. but will certainly be a LOT more careful with it in the future. If I don't really NEED it.. it will stay rolled in
Steve
2006 Tiffin Phaeton 35DH ~75k mi. Cat C7/350 on FL XC. Lots of FIXES - Worst thing is the FUEL mileage.. only ~7. My 1994 8.3 Cummins got almost 9 - NEW 'worst thing' - failed radiator overflow and radiator itself. WOW .. what a job!
SteveD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 08:19 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
THANK YOU imnprsd for taking the time to fully explain how to fix the door awning!! The wind lifted ours and after that it would not work. We followed your instructions and it works great now! Saved us a bunch of money, we really do appreciate it!!

Tags
awning, door, electric, entry door