Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2019, 05:03 PM   #1

One tow arm doesn't extend-what to do?

Six years driving my class A and never had this happen before. I always try to leave a long enough runway so both arms can lock. However, didn't happen last time. I came to a turn and one arm was still not locked. I had no choice so made the turn very slowly so as not to damage anything and the arm did lock. Question is, what to do if one or both arms don't lock and you have to make a turn? Also, which way should you turn the MH if one arm is not locked-toward the unlocked arm or the opposite direction. In my particular case above, my driver side arm was unlocked and I was turning left. During the turn it locked although I would have thought that it would have required a straightforward pull or turn to the right but obviously that wasn't the case. Any advice for the future is appreciated.

Mike
TravelinMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2019, 05:08 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
The arms lock when they extend fully so I would have thought turning away from the arm would cause it to lock.

If they're six years old they may be in dire need of maintenance. I'm guessing not all are the same, but some need to have the rubber boot retracted and the arms cleaned and greased.
affreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 05:10 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
One tow arm doesn't extend-what to do?

Turn the steering wheel of toad towards the arm that is not locked. It generally will lock as soon as you start moving forward.
Old 02-28-2019, 05:10 PM   #4

if the runway isn’t long enough then back up the toad to lock the arns. no room for that then pull forward enough to make room to back up the toad. should only take a ~3 feet.
Old 02-28-2019, 05:11 PM   #5

The first thing you should ALWAYS do is make sure the arms lock before you start on your trip. Usually a straight pull will lock the arms. Tow bars also require periodic maintenance. Clean the inner shaft with soap and water then dry the arms. Spray lubricant helps the arms slide and ultimately lock into the towing position.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 05:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelinMike View Post
Six years driving my class A and never had this happen before. I always try to leave a long enough runway so both arms can lock. However, didn't happen last time. I came to a turn and one arm was still not locked. I had no choice so made the turn very slowly so as not to damage anything and the arm did lock. Question is, what to do if one or both arms don't lock and you have to make a turn? Also, which way should you turn the MH if one arm is not locked-toward the unlocked arm or the opposite direction. In my particular case above, my driver side arm was unlocked and I was turning left. During the turn it locked although I would have thought that it would have required a straightforward pull or turn to the right but obviously that wasn't the case. Any advice for the future is appreciated.

Mike
What tow bar manufacturer is it?
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 05:22 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
What tow bar manufacturer is it?
My question too.
Roadmaster says not to use WD-40 on their bars as it causes the bushings to swell and bind. My Sterling bar did that, had to take it to them and have it rebuilt.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 06:21 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I always back up the toad to lock the arms. Then I can check if they are locked, walking from the toad to the motorhome.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 06:50 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
My question too.
Roadmaster says not to use WD-40 on their bars as it causes the bushings to swell and bind. My Sterling bar did that, had to take it to them and have it rebuilt.
I have the Sterling tow bar as well and Roadmaster says to use silicone spray only. I rebuilt mine after that mistake of spraying WD-40 on it. It is a very simple rebuild. The hardest part is getting the bars out of the tube with the swollen bushings. Roadmaster has great employees that seem to be happy to help you when you call.
Safe and happy travels
Oldman5145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 07:10 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
My Roadmaster unit folds up and collapses on the base brackets. I open it up and the arms lock, then I mount it on the ball. When parked for any length of time, I just remove it off of the toad. Eddie Elk.
1998 Pace Arrow Vision 36' w/460, '03 Honda CRV, FMCA #388823, Gateway Getaways RV Club
eddieelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 03:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by affreeman View Post
The arms lock when they extend fully so I would have thought turning away from the arm would cause it to lock.

If they're six years old they may be in dire need of maintenance. I'm guessing not all are the same, but some need to have the rubber boot retracted and the arms cleaned and greased.
Yup, it's a Blue Ox annual maintenance item. Roadmaster has the same requirment.
The way to lock the arms is to gently steer/weave from L to R a few times; unless you are on a downgrade this works well.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 10:06 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well I guess I'm doing it wrong, usually just push the Toad back until they lock. I mean it only weighs about 4300lbs but them I'm not trying to move it far.
Old 03-02-2019, 10:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
Well I guess I'm doing it wrong, usually just push the Toad back until they lock. I mean it only weighs about 4300lbs but them I'm not trying to move it far.
seems to me locking is locking regardless of method. i usually have the wife pull forward a bit while i watch during mt final walk around.
Old 03-02-2019, 10:22 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I keep my arms lubed a couple times a year with silicon. I hook up the toad and my wife goes back and stands next to the toad watching to make sure ALL the wheels are turning while I pull forward slowly.

When I slowly start to go forward I turn my wheels all the way to the right and then all the way to the left. My wife makes sure the latching lever closes on the Sterling tow bar assembly as the rear end moves one way, then the other.

Have been doing it that way for 13 years.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow