Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-13-2007, 03:10 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">We decided to go with a free standing screen room rather than the room that attaches to our awning. My question is what table to put in there. It will be used for meals (5 of us) plus cards and games in the evenings after the kids go to bed. I know most sites have a picnic table...but they are sometimes in pretty rough shape. Plus we use that table for cooking and storing things. We have a folding 6 ft table but when we put our camp chairs up to it, the table is too high to make it comfortable for meals. I have seen the collapsible picnic tables with the benches attached...but I don't think that would fit in our storage areas. Another thought was to bring along 4/5 folding chairs to use at the folding table we already have. What do you all do ?????</span>

~Shannone & Chad [/COLOR]
Lil'Darlin1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 03:10 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">We decided to go with a free standing screen room rather than the room that attaches to our awning. My question is what table to put in there. It will be used for meals (5 of us) plus cards and games in the evenings after the kids go to bed. I know most sites have a picnic table...but they are sometimes in pretty rough shape. Plus we use that table for cooking and storing things. We have a folding 6 ft table but when we put our camp chairs up to it, the table is too high to make it comfortable for meals. I have seen the collapsible picnic tables with the benches attached...but I don't think that would fit in our storage areas. Another thought was to bring along 4/5 folding chairs to use at the folding table we already have. What do you all do ?????</span>

Old 03-13-2007, 03:25 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Go with the picnic table. A little soap and water will clean it up. Put some pads on the seats to prevent splinters if that's a worry.

Five chairs is going to take up a bunch of room, plus the table (which I don't carry). I had one with the seats attached but got rid of it as it was too small for average sized adult to sit at.

3 kids at a folding table can get pretty rambunctious so it might decide to fold up when you least want it to.

I've always put the bbq or coleman stove at one end of the table and used the rest for meals, cards, games, etc. Worked good.

You'll learn pretty quickly what you need and what you want are two different things and will pack accordingly. Learning is half the fun.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 03:56 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Agree with Doug. When we got our first MH, we went crazy and bought a nice small folding table and two folding chairs from Sam's club. We hardly ever use the table and never used the chairs. The chairs are stored in my basement and the table is in the coach but we normally use the picnic table.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 04:25 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

There are some very nice plastic banquet type tables available in different sizes from places like Menards and Home Depot. Not only do the tops come in different sizes but some also come with adjustable height legs. We found one that is 4' by 2' and fits nicely against the back wall of our bedroom wardrobe. We use it just about everytime we are out RVing.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 05:26 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lil'Darlin1972:
<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">We decided to go with a free standing screen room rather than the room that attaches to our awning. My question is what table to put in there. It will be used for meals (5 of us) plus cards and games in the evenings after the kids go to bed. I know most sites have a picnic table...but they are sometimes in pretty rough shape. Plus we use that table for cooking and storing things. We have a folding 6 ft table but when we put our camp chairs up to it, the table is too high to make it comfortable for meals. I have seen the collapsible picnic tables with the benches attached...but I don't think that would fit in our storage areas. Another thought was to bring along 4/5 folding chairs to use at the folding table we already have. What do you all do ?????</span> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We use an aluminum one simular to this one.

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm/Outdo...skunum=32396:src=TSC

Available also at your local Sams Club with height adjustable legs. Stores in a shoulder bag about 4 feet long and 6 inches in diameter.

Only problem we have had is the crowd that sometimes gathers when they see you setting it up or putting it away. We have a lot asking where they can get one also.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:52 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

We carry two tables. One is a aluminum roll up table that I picked up dirty cheap. Similar to the one NeilV posted. The other one is a fold up aluminum table mostly used next to our BBQ for food prep, but have used as a table when needed. Mostly we just use the picnic table though.
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 02:03 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Like the rest, I carried a card table,,,never used it. Always used just the picnic table and it worked out fine. With the screen room, you may want to do a folding aluminum or a card table...Good Luck
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 03:00 AM   #9

We take a table similar to Y-Guys, but we mainly use the picnic table, and we also take along 5 bag chairs.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 06:22 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">I think if it was just the two of us, the picnic table that comes with the site would be fine. But we have 3 kids and they are often going to have friends camping with us too. We will need a little more space. I did an online search for folding benches that could go along with the 6ft folding table we already have and this is what I came up with...bench. It's too bad someone doesn't make a taller version of the standard camping chairs in a bag. It would be much easier just to get some of those !!</span>

Old 03-14-2007, 01:37 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

You may consider portable tables that fold up like an accordion when open they measure 30"X30",the stand also folds up.They are stored in their own canvas bag and they do not take up alot of room.I purchased ours (two) from Costco a few years ago.
Good Luck
Ed Gardiser
04 Vectra
87 Nissan PickUp
FMCA
Ed Gardiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 01:50 PM   #12

Say you stay a week at a campground....that means your kids might....and I say MIGHT be sitting all together at the table for MAYBE 10 minutes total.

I say don't bother buying another 'picnic table' to haul around for nothing!!
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 11:52 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

If you try to haul enough stuff to take care of any eventuality you are going to have to buy and carry a lot of stuff. I agree with others. Have enough chairs for the family and use the picnic table. Visitors bring their own chairs. If you have a big feed borrow a picnic table from another site (be polite and ask). I don't know what age your kids are but they usually just want to eat everything in sight as quickly as possible and then be with their friends away from the adults because we are so boring.
Navy Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 12:19 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: It is amazing to me that more people don't boondock. We probably spend less than half of the time in campgrounds. Some places we go don't have campgrounds and anyway if one isn't handy it is easy to find somewhere to park. If you do this kind of camping, a table (or two) is really a necessity. If you always stay at camgrounds having an extra table is sometimes nice for cooking or for guests. We have had the folding plastic table with four seats several times on the cabin cruiser because it is small and light. I don't like them because they are too flimsy and break. We now have a wood table with a roll-up top that doesn't take much space. Try stores that sell camping supplies to see what is available.
good luck from Jena, Germany.
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 12:36 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

I was thumbing through the WIT magazine last night and I saw an add about using the storage compartment door as a table. I don't have the info here, but you may want to check that out as an option too. I'm guessing it holds the door up and must have a surface that lays on top of the door, though it wouldn't work for eating it might give room for fixings. Sorry can't find it on Google now either.
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 01:02 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Y-Guy:
I was thumbing through the WIT magazine last night and I saw an add about using the storage compartment door as a table. I don't have the info here, but you may want to check that out as an option too. I'm guessing it holds the door up and must have a surface that lays on top of the door, though it wouldn't work for eating it might give room for fixings. Sorry can't find it on Google now either. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Page 57 of the Jan WIT club news called RV-HIDE-A-TABLE. www.PhilMArLLC.com I don't know anything about other than the ad.
Indy Itasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 03:00 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">Thanks everyone </span>

Old 03-16-2007, 06:26 PM   #18
Winnebago Watcher

I agree that the picnic tables at the campgrounds can be quite gross. From Camping World I ordered a red & white checked table cover and seat pads. It fits perfectly around a standard sized picnic table. It has a foam backing and elastic around the edges so it does not blow away. It was the best thing and it can be wiped down with a sponge. It's $39.99 which is rather expensive, but it can be used over and over again and it's easier than packing up a table.
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...26263&src=SRQB
Road Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote