Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2013, 02:17 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Red face Please help! Just want to take the kids camping!

Thank you guys for the help last time. Just a few more issues I'm trying to iron out. Being a girl seems to have finally struck me down. I know nothing about water heaters. How do I light my water heater in my 1985 chieftain Winnie? All your advice for filling water tanks and checking the systems has been great. Just want to use this beauty now that it's all cleaned up and road ready :-) thanks guys! Hoping for some help on this one as well!
newoldwinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:53 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Depends on what model you have. But most likely, you make sure the LP is on, bleed it out good on the range. At the WH, turn the knob to pilot and hold it down, light the pilot and release the button. If it stays lit, then turn it to on, and that should be it.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:04 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Thought I would just add a few thoughts to the above. First make sure the water heater is not bypassed and is full of water BEFORE you light it. Heating an empty water heater can cause significant damage. The above instructions are correct for a manual unit which you likely have. It is possible you also have an electronic spark ignition. If that is the case, you only need to turn the switch on inside. If it fails to light there is a small light that will tell you the pilot is not lit. You should also check for spider webs which can restrict the gas flow and make it a problem to light.

If you know anyone else with an rv, ask them to show you how to operate the water heater. It's really quite simple once you have been shown or done it a few times.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:15 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I will also add and clarify, there is a pilot flame and a burner flame. Pilot is small, does not heat the water, and is there as standby. The pilot will light the main burner when needed. Electronic ignition (DSI) does not light a pilot, but lights the main burner only.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:00 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

First. If you have 'em read the owner's manuals, if not you can download owner's manuals for most of the sub systems (Example: Water heater) from the manufacturer's web site in most cases.

There are a couple of books,, one or the other... THE RV BOOK or The RV Owner's Handbook are, as I recall, their names, Most larger RV stores should have one or the other.

Finally.. Before you take the kids camping. Find an older more expierenced RVer in your area to help you go over the systems..... I'm in either Flint, MI or St. Clair MI area till mid OCT then "Winterize" by the "S" method.. S in this case stands for upstate SOUTH Carolina.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:30 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Usually there are lighting instructions posted in the water heater compartment. It is still a good idea to down load a manual. This site has a lot of manuals and my have the ones for items in your RV. Bryant RV Services
Old 09-08-2013, 04:36 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

How old is your coach? Most of the water heaters I know of use electronic ignition and have for many years now. If the stove lights that is a good sign that the propane is on and you have at least some. There is a water heater switch in the coach somewhere. If you don't have the coach owners manual you can go to the coach website and download one. This should give you a better idea of what to look for. The post about making certain that water is in the heater is a very important one. Just because water is coming out of the hot faucet does not mean that the water heater is full. Look in the coach owners manual for the water heater bypass switch. It is a knob that stops or allows the water to flow to the heater. This is used for winterizing.

If everything appears to be 'normal' and you are convinced that the heater should be lighting, you could have cridders in the burner tube. If you are handy you can remove the two screw holding the igniter/gas hood in the tube. (Make certain the heater is powered off.) Use caution in handling it. The porcelain can damage easily. Tie a rag on a soft coat hanger and run it up into the tube. Then take a vacuum and clean the junk you see out of the tube. Put the ignitor and burner hood assembly back on if the porcelain is undamaged and try again.

There is much more to this subject and I hope I have not given you too much information. Please do as already suggested by others and download the operation and maintenance manual from water heater manufacturer if you don't have it in your owners case of coach information.

I hope you and your kids get on the road soon and have a great time and wonderful adventure.

Rick

Tags
camping