Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2022, 08:54 AM   #1

Possible Bad Battery Disconnect Relay

I tried to find a thread from Feb 2021 when I replaced the SOLENOID that allows the alternator to charge the house batteries while driving (since this is related). At that time, I also added a Trik-L-Charge to keep my chassis battery charged whilst plugged in at home.

Anyway, just Thursday, we left Arlington, TX for the last two days drive home from our recent trip to Albuquerque. Left around 4am and a few hours later stopped to have breakfast. Generator would not start, no coach lights, no power to tank panel test, etc. First I thought, oh the disconnect must have gotten turned off, pressed the ON, but did not help. Checked some breakers, no fix there. Finally I had some wire and got to the Battery Disconnect Relay (BDR), bypassed it (just wire touch) and the lights came on. I then disconnected house batteries on the top of them and wired in that wire to bypass the BDR and that worked fine for the rest of the drive home. I imagine I need to replace the BDR. But I came here to see if there is another more common cause. For example, the switch that closes or opens the relay. I see two wires connected onto the front of the relay. Also the terminal on the right has two large cables on the main post. And what is all that black plastic on the top of the relay? Also, besides troubleshooting help, I was hoping someone can chime in with a good choice and source for replacement, if replacing is the consensus.

Thanks to all who can help, I got a lot of help with the other solenoid issue back in Feb 2021 and it was greatly appreciated.

2006 Winnebago Aspect 26A - BDR is behind the breaker panel in the compartment just aft of an low to the main coach door.
Qui-Gon John is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2022, 09:02 AM   #2

At the time of your previous repair ; did you access Winne's site for wiring diagrams specific to your coach ?

http://www.winnebago.com/Files/Files...ram/Wiring.htm

Give me a min to check that I've got the link correct .

EDIT: Good to go .
Old 06-25-2022, 09:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
At the time of your previous repair ; did you access Winne's site for wiring diagrams specific to your coach ?

Yes, this one:

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ire_155177.pdf

The Mode Solenoid is shown just below the Disconnect Relay (which is the issue this time). Like I said, I'm pretty sure I need to replace the BDR. BUT, it's always possible this condition is more usually caused by something else, and that is what I am looking into here on the forum. Just in case. And then also, a source for the replacement.
Old 06-25-2022, 09:20 AM   #4

You wrote that you bypassed the BDR, but did you do anything to check to see if the switch was supplying voltage to the BDR or test the BDR by applying voltage directly to it? You can't assume it's bad until you've determined that the switch is operating properly.
Old 06-25-2022, 09:24 AM   #5

From the diagram , best guess is that this info should help .
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Intellitec_BD1_Battery_Disconnect_Service_Manual.pdf (330.3 KB, 8 views)
Old 06-25-2022, 10:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
From the diagram , best guess is that this info should help .

OK, Skip & BCam. First I removed and tested the 5A control fuse on the left side, it was good. My coach does not have an indicator light for the Battery Disconnect and does not have a fuse on the right side. Next I tested voltage while DW pressed ON and then OFF, good, about 13vdc each. Relay was clicking and we did several tests. Next I removed the bypass jumper wire I put in and it is still not working. Any thoughts at this point. And THANKS!
Old 06-25-2022, 11:35 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
The BDR is a latching relay; i.e., 12v power to close and an internal magnet (inside the black plastic part) holds it closed (latched) when the wall switch is released ....... so no power is "wasted" as with a continuous duty solenoid. The wall switch (AKA the salesman sw) reverses polarity to the solenoid to power the solenoid off or on. IIRC the contacts are rated at 80A .... still, I make sure all the loads are off if possible when cycling it on or off.

I took a different view and replaced a perfectly-operating BDR and the Battery Mode Solenoid (while I was in there) as a preemptive strike. Seems I had read about lots of them failing at 10 or 15 years and my daughter and grandkidz (they use the RV more than I) would not have a clue about jumpers.

I got my parts at Lichtsinn RV but I see where Amazon has the BDR.

https://www.amazon.com/INTELLITEC-01...ps%2C97&sr=8-6

Just my 'sperience. Good luck with the fix and safe travels to ya.
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 12:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by youracman View Post
The BDR is a latching relay; i.e., 12v power to close and an internal magnet (inside the black plastic part) holds it closed (latched) when the wall switch is released ....... so no power is "wasted" as with a continuous duty solenoid. The wall switch (AKA the salesman sw) reverses polarity to the solenoid to power the solenoid off or on. IIRC the contacts are rated at 80A .... still, I make sure all the loads are off if possible when cycling it on or off.

I took a different view and replaced a perfectly-operating BDR and the Battery Mode Solenoid (while I was in there) as a preemptive strike. Seems I had read about lots of them failing at 10 or 15 years and my daughter and grandkidz (they use the RV more than I) would not have a clue about jumpers.
Thanks. BTW, the description in one of the other posts about the relay vary slightly from your description. It says there is a part that swings. So when you close the contacts, that piece is pointed down and keeps the plunger from coming back up and breaking the circuit. When you open the circuit, the reverse magnetism swings that piece out of alignment and the plunger can move back up, opening the circuit. I'm gonna go ahead and order one, as I am pretty sure, based on voltage measurements from the switch, that the problem is in the relay itself.
Old 06-25-2022, 02:48 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui-Gon John View Post
Thanks. BTW, the description in one of the other posts about the relay vary slightly from your description. It says there is a part that swings. So when you close the contacts, that piece is pointed down and keeps the plunger from coming back up and breaking the circuit. When you open the circuit, the reverse magnetism swings that piece out of alignment and the plunger can move back up, opening the circuit. I'm gonna go ahead and order one, as I am pretty sure, based on voltage measurements from the switch, that the problem is in the relay itself.
Yup, John. I believe the other poster described it correctly. I found the attached dwgs from Intellitec online (click to enlarge). So now I/we know.
Good catch, and thanks. :^)

Best...........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Latching Relay.jpeg
Views:	14
Size:	229.9 KB
ID:	369332   Click image for larger version

Name:	Latchiing Relay-2.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	369333  

youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 05:35 PM   #10

While bypassing the BDS, did you also bypass the circuit breaker between the battery positive and BDS ?

IF you did, you may want to check that.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 07:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
While bypassing the BDS, did you also bypass the circuit breaker between the battery positive and BDS ?

IF you did, you may want to check that.

No I just put a jumper from the left side of the Battery Disconnect Relay to the right side of it. Effectively bypassing the innards of the relay.
Old 06-27-2022, 09:14 AM   #12

Possible bad BDR

Thinking about removing the BDR and installing manual battery cut off, for one main reason: The BDR only cuts off some stuff, notably not the inverter. My recently installed Magnum MS2012 requires the positive cable connection be disconnected first or risk damaging the unit.

This. of course, goes against everything I know and hold sacred about disconnecting the negative first, and my much modified house electrical system makes disconnecting positive first an arky sparky possibility.

So, a manual cut off. On the positive side, to cut off house current. Then, the BDR, which is 21 years old, becomes surplus. So what am I missing re the BDR removal. This thread is concerning a BDR run amuck, so is removing it a preventative step or unnecessary work?
blevtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 02:08 PM   #13

So my relay showed up today. I dry tested. Ohmmeter from one stud to the other, initially INFINITE. Then I applied 12 v I to S to close it, removed voltage, OHM Test fro one stud to the other, ZERO (or .09). So now I just have to install and I should be good to go.
Old 07-01-2022, 09:20 PM   #14

So I replaced the disconnect relay today. It went well and is working as it should. Tested with no shore power connected. Disconnects when I press button, reconnects when I press that option. Thanks for the help.

Tags
battery, battery disconnect, disconnect, relay