Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2016, 02:14 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Power applied when storing?

I have 30A power available in my storage unit. When plugging in what should I leave turned on? Do the batteries get charged when plugged in?

Winnebago 2004 Adventurer
wdweldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 03:00 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdweldon View Post
I have 30A power available in my storage unit. When plugging in what should I leave turned on? Do the batteries get charged when plugged in?
Winnebago 2004 Adventurer
wdweldon
My coach now 20 year old coach has always been connected to a minimum of 15A shore power.. (except when it's moving or when we're dry camping/boondocking).
I crack 1 window open, open a roof vent and turn everything off.
The 3 stage charger in my on-board inverter/charger automatically maintains the batteries.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 06:48 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I turn everything off. The converter will charge your house batteries, unless you switch off the Aux battery switch. I also run a trickle charger to maintain the vehicle starting battery. A few day prior to a road trip, switch the Aux back on to bring the house batteries back to a full charge.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:22 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Our Winebago book says not to leave hooked up to shore power while stored. I have always avoided that because I really do not want the converter and anything else working all the time for no reason. I hook all batteries to separate trickle chargers. One for house batteries and one for chassis battery. Many older coaches do not have "smart" chargers and may boil the batteries dry. Our 2013 Winnebago ERA did not have a smart charger. I would at least check that prior to trusting the onboard converter to do the job.
Old 08-02-2016, 07:21 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thank for you the information, do you disconnect the batteries while trickle charging?
wdweldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgelesley View Post
Our Winebago book says not to leave hooked up to shore power while stored. I have always avoided that because I really do not want the converter and anything else working all the time for no reason. I hook all batteries to separate trickle chargers. One for house batteries and one for chassis battery. Many older coaches do not have "smart" chargers and may boil the batteries dry. Our 2013 Winnebago ERA did not have a smart charger. I would at least check that prior to trusting the onboard converter to do the job.
georgelesley
Good advice

If the battery charger in my inverter/charger was not an automatic 3 stage "smart" charger I wouldn't trust mine either.

BTW what is your definition of an "older coach"?
Wondering.

Mel
'96 Safari, 148k miles
Old 08-02-2016, 09:08 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdweldon View Post
Thank for you the information, do you disconnect the batteries while trickle charging?
No, just turn master battery switch off. I define for the purpose of this thread any coach that does not have a smart charger.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:21 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

If you have a smart charger on board, it will safely charge the house batteries while in storage. If you don't have a smart charger, use the disconnect switch to isolate the house batteries and connect a smart trickle charger. The chassis batteries will not be charged from shore power on most coaches. Use the battery disconnect switch to isolate the chassis batteries and use a smart trickle charger to keep them charges.
BVThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 05:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVThunder View Post
If you have a smart charger on board, it will safely charge the house batteries while in storage. If you don't have a smart charger, use the disconnect switch to isolate the house batteries and connect a smart trickle charger. The chassis batteries will not be charged from shore power on most coaches. Use the battery disconnect switch to isolate the chassis batteries and use a smart trickle charger to keep them charges.
BVThunder
Well said.
Simple and accurate.

Tags
power