RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2020, 10:39 AM   #1

Problem With Onan Generator

We have an Onan 5500 watt gasoline powered generator in our 2013 Adventurer. The last 2 times out we've had trouble with it shutting down when the coach is in motion. The first time was in May of this year. We stopped at a rest area and fired up the generator to power the microwave.

We left it run through lunch (about 20 minutes) and decided to let it continue to run for exercise while we were on the road. After driving another half hour I noticed the generator light flashing. For some reason the generator had shut down. There were no codes, and the fuel level was just under 3/4 of a tank.

I shut off the switch and continued on to the next campground. When we arrived I tried it again and it started with no problems. I let it run an hour and shut it down.

As a side note the generator has been run for over an hour each month since the original problem with no reoccurrences. The only difference is that the coach was stationary when the generator was exercised.

Last week we were on the road again and encountered the same problem. It started fine in a rest area, but shut itself down after the coach was in motion for about half an hour. This time however there was a code 45 (speed sensor) displayed on the panel.

When we got to the campground I tried starting it again with no success. After a couple tries the code 45 reappeared. I didn't try to start it again and left everything as it was until we got home 3 days later. This afternoon I tried starting it and it jumped to life after cranking the starter only about 3 seconds. It continued to run until I shut it off several minutes later.

There are currently no codes stored and everything works as it should. Has anyone run into a similar problem, and if so were you able to find the source and correct the problem?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2020, 08:11 PM   #2

Low fuel level in carburetor bowl? It's OK when not moving, on the road the fuel jostles in the bowl preventing fuel pickup??? Check float for proper adjustment, water in bowl. That's my EWAG.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 09:40 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Check the oil level, if it is low it can cause the generator to shut down. Also you may need to change the fuel filter on the generator. and worse case the fuel pump may be bad or have a power issue with it. Check the wires going to it to ensure they are not loose.
Old 09-20-2020, 09:59 PM   #4

Yes, many gennys have a low oil level switch that when triggered shuts down the genny. A low level and a bit of motion that sloshes the oil below the threshold level and bingo, it shuts down.

Another item could be the fuel line from the tank to the genny fuel pump. I had a cracked line (due to age) that every so often sucked air.

Mike
Old 09-21-2020, 08:01 AM   #5

when mine did that and oil level was ok, I replaced fuel pump and filter and that solved it
Old 09-21-2020, 08:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
Check the oil level, if it is low it can cause the generator to shut down. Also you may need to change the fuel filter on the generator. and worse case the fuel pump may be bad or have a power issue with it. Check the wires going to it to ensure they are not loose.
Generally low oil level sensors prevent the engine from being restarted when low oil is detected. Agitating oil level is very difficult to detect..
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:34 AM   #7

Mine did the same thing. It gradually got worse until I had to replace the fuel pump. My generator hours are about 490.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 09:59 AM   #8

Gas tank not venting could be a possibility. I had a toy hauler that would do the same thing. I had to delete the carbon recycle filter. Its connected to the intake and would cause more vacuum on tank than the vent would allow...or I had a vent issue. Either way I would Crack my cap and my tank was in a vacuum.

Its another EPA mandate that causes problems.

Just a shot being it only does it on the road
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, onan, problem