Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2021, 08:10 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Proflex rv sealant

Anyone use this product to re-seal the fiberglass roof cove radius seam? If so, how long ago? How is it holding up? Would you recommend?

Thankyou in advance!
Park Super is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2021, 10:39 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Seems to work well for me.

Ken
Old 11-28-2021, 10:47 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club

This guy goes thru the whole process, how to inspect, clean and reseal. And what he recommends.
Old 11-28-2021, 10:52 AM   #4

You might want to call Winnebago Customer Service. They will tell you which sealants to use on your Winnebago. Some of the better known sealants don't adhere to the fiberglass roof very well. The call-out sheet for sealants for my Winnebago says to use Manus-75AM for the roof edge. It has worked very well for me.
Good Luck,
Indiana Journey
indiana journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 10:21 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I redid my roof edge seal/adhesive in June 2021, so not that long ago.
I used Profex.* It has not appeared to age but 6 months isn't long.
I used duct tape to protect the roof and a sharp curved scraper to remove the old sealant.* I tried to get all of it off of the rail and the roof.
I used alcohol and a rag and a small metal shaft to clean the rail out very thoroughly.

Instead of* pushing it in and letting it be squeezed*out by the roof radius I put in ~1/8 inch*spacers to keep a gap between the roof and the rail.* I used a heavy gauge copper wire pieces for the spacers.* Leave them long enough to go all the way down and have enough sticking out to make them easy to pull out.*I squeezed*in about a 1/2 inch deep bead. Don't fill the rail.*

The results are a nice size bead of Proflex.After it had dried enough not to squeeze*out, which was several weeks as I recall, I removed the spaces and put Proflex in the gaps.

It does not look as slick as AZ-Experts on youtube but it does look more substantial.I'll be surprised if it doesn't last 10 years.

It is tempting to put something robust in there but should you have to replace the roof it could add to the cost if it is too hard to remove.* For example you could put in 3m5200 and top it off with new flex 311 for UV protection but when it comes time to do a roof it might take many hours of extra labor to get the 5200 out.
Old 12-03-2021, 10:28 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park Super View Post
Anyone use this product to re-seal the fiberglass roof cove radius seam? If so, how long ago? How is it holding up? Would you recommend?

Thankyou in advance!
Check the Winnebago web site. It lists what type of sealant to use various places around the coach.

Not that Winnebago is the only manufacture that uses a silicone base caulking and it is very important to continue to use like kind caulking. I'm unsure if Dicor or Proflex are silicone or solvent based. They may have both types, but make sure you follow Winnebago's guidelines. Geocel is what I use.

I've witnessed a number of Winnebago's that guys just put Dicor on and were complaining about having to pull it off and reseal every year.

amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 10:46 AM   #7

Both videos are by AZ Expert. In his recent videos I've noticed that he's been using ProFlex. I'd trust his recommendations but you can't go wrong by following Winnebago's sealant callout sheets.

You might want to also post your question on IRV2's sister site, Winnieowners.com. You'll find a lot more postings on this topic.
Old 12-07-2021, 05:15 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm using clear Manus Bond 75AM this time around. So far, so good.
'04 Journey 36 with 330 Cat towing a '14 Sonic hatchback 1.4 liter turbo 6 spd. '16 Subaru Outback at home in Vancouver WA, plus a few other toys up at our remote cabin in Alaska's Talkeetna Mountains.
corprimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 06:18 PM   #9

I did my (Roof seam) about 4 yeas ago with Manus Bond 75 and it still is solid and held up well. I am pretty sure its Not silicone base product. Knowing if your using silicone is important because using silicone products on the initial application is great but not on a reapplication because you have to be extremely careful to remove ALL the old silicone residue before reapplication. It does not matter what you are reapplying because nothing sticks to old silicone.

However I disagree with Post #6 saying never use dicor on the horizontal roof surfaces. Its true you have to be extremely careful to get all of the residue off but that is true with any thing you want to reapply. I used dicor on the horizontal surfaces (not the roof seam) with great success. It is easier to reseal and maintain down the road.

I have bought and used the proflex product, My concern would be how long does it last and how difficult is it to remove before a reapplication. It was work to remove the old sealant but not bad. You might want to ask not how long it lasted but has anyone used it and have to remove it for a reapplication.
Old 12-07-2021, 08:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftodaro View Post
I did my (Roof seam) about 4 yeas ago with Manus Bond 75 and it still is solid and held up well. I am pretty sure its Not silicone base product. Knowing if your using silicone is important because using silicone products on the initial application is great but not on a reapplication because you have to be extremely careful to remove ALL the old silicone residue before reapplication. It does not matter what you are reapplying because nothing sticks to old silicone.

However I disagree with Post #6 saying never use dicor on the horizontal roof surfaces. Its true you have to be extremely careful to get all of the residue off but that is true with any thing you want to reapply. I used dicor on the horizontal surfaces (not the roof seam) with great success. It is easier to reseal and maintain down the road.

I have bought and used the proflex product, My concern would be how long does it last and how difficult is it to remove before a reapplication. It was work to remove the old sealant but not bad. You might want to ask not how long it lasted but has anyone used it and have to remove it for a reapplication.

The Manus Bond 75 are mostly Urethane based adhesive sealants from their STP Polyether line of adhesive sealants.

Manus makes a couple of silicone products in the 73 line however they are not self leveling.

See: STP Polyether

On my coach the items on top of the roof (rear cap, ladder, tv antenna, skylight, vents, etc) are sealed with Nuco 311 self leveling silicone by Winnebago while the roof side seams require one of the Manus Bond 75A STP Polyether products.

Tags
seal, sealant