RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2020, 04:03 PM   #1

Ready to buy 1st RV; Winnebago reco's?

Hi!

I want to get a Class C, 27-29 feet long, I'm looking at an Outlook 27b and 29b (love the 29b floor plan). Used or new, more likely used.

Opinions about those models? I'd like something not more than 5 years old or so. And it needs to be able pull a toad.

Also, recommended dealers? Or sources of quality used Winnebagos? Ideally, not more than 4-5 hours drive from me (in Chicago) so I can go out there and look at it and do a test drive.

I'll keep trolling through Craigslist and RVt but thought the group here could help!

AM

amc123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2020, 04:13 PM   #2

I would suggest extending your model years to consider out a bit, for the most part the Ford E series chassis

has not changed in the last 10 years. Which leaves condition, not model year being the major factor, for interiors there has not been all that much change either, other than the transition to LED lighting, and centralized control panels versus individual light switches, etc. with LED lights being relatively easy to retrofit. Therefor in my opinion an 7-8 year old coach that has been well maintained, and kept under roof, or indoors, is likely going to be in better overall condition than a 2-3 year old coach that has spent its life outdoors, particularly if kept in a harsh climate.

p.s. pay careful attention to cargo carrying (weight carrying) capacity on larger class C's, read up on OCCC and CCC weight capacities (the way they are measured changed about 10 years ago, with the current system being the federally mandated OCCC system)

Old 06-03-2020, 04:18 PM   #3

Thanks, good to know! Yes I'm perfectly fine with an older model as long as it's been maintained well. I am not a handy person and on my own so its condition is important.
amc123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 08:08 AM   #4

I would suggest you also look at RV Trader. I see more RVs on that site vs RVT.
Old 06-04-2020, 12:29 PM   #5

I would also suggest checking facebook marketplace for local private sellers. Also it should be noted that the E series did get the new 6 speed transmission around 2015-2016, which is an improvement over the 5 speed used in the current chassis design which was introduced in 2008. Otherwise there is not a lot of difference between a 2009 and a 2019 E series chassis.
Old 06-04-2020, 03:56 PM   #6

Itís not close to Chicago but check online with PPL in TX. They sell on consignment and have a lot of inventory. You might find so thing worth the drive.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 09:17 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Might consider Lichtsinn in Forest City, IA. They're a dedicated WBGO dealer. Forest City is about 6-7 hours away, and I strongly suggest you use either the factory or Lichtsinn for service. The factory only works on WBGO's, they have all the intimate knowledge, all the parts, and when you make an appointment that's the day they start on your coach.

Skip Y
2010 Journey 40TD
WIKT Club 47083, FMCA F263635
Skip Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 10:21 AM   #8

I am in the final stages of closing on the purchase of a 2012 Via from a SW Florida dealer, not a Winnie dealer, a Thor dealer. When they get a unit on a trade in (or
they purchase one outright) they go over it completely. On mine they repaired some minor cosmetic body damage on the front end and changed the oil and filters on the chassis and generator engines. Supposedly they went through each system and confirmed they were working well.

We will see on Monday when I spend a few hours with their mechanic before closing. I will report what happened.

I am posting this to indicate that you don't necessarily need a Winnie dealer like Lichtsinn. Independent or a non Winnie dealer can also do a good job. Look for my next post though. I found it through Rvtrader.

David
DavidEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 11:40 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ditto on Lichtsinn RV - large selection - located near WBGO factory.

http://lichtsinn.com
Old 06-15-2020, 06:28 AM   #10

If you're considering going as far as Forest City Iowa I would also consider one of the Pleasureland RV outlets.

We tried to purchase a Winnebago Adventurer 2 different times from Lichtsinn in Forest City. Both times were a disaster. We ended up purchasing the last one from Pleasureland in Ramsey MN. The final price was a little over $15,000.00 less than from Lichtsinn.

We were able to conduct 95% of the sale through phone conversations and emails. Since we were ordering new we also enquired about options that were available on other Winnebago products, but weren't available on the Adventurer. The salesman enquired as to the availability of those options and was told, "anything available on any other coaches that would physically fit in the one we were ordering could be installed."

We did add a few non standard items, and made the order. It was delivered as ordered and on time. We have been happy with the dealership, the price, and the motorhome.
Old 06-17-2020, 06:32 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
I am in the final stages of closing on the purchase of a 2012 Via from a SW Florida dealer, not a Winnie dealer, a Thor dealer. When they get a unit on a trade in (or
they purchase one outright) they go over it completely. On mine they repaired some minor cosmetic body damage on the front end and changed the oil and filters on the chassis and generator engines. Supposedly they went through each system and confirmed they were working well.

We will see on Monday when I spend a few hours with their mechanic before closing. I will report what happened.

I am posting this to indicate that you don't necessarily need a Winnie dealer like Lichtsinn. Independent or a non Winnie dealer can also do a good job. Look for my next post though. I found it through Rvtrader.

David
Well, I walked away from the deal. We found 3-4 problems that probably could have been fixed satisfactorily, but I decided that there may be more to come and it was better to walk away. The age- 8 years and apparent lack of use for the last few years also had something to do with it.

I now am looking at a coach less than five years old, like the OP.

David

DavidEM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago