Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2019, 10:27 AM   #1

Ready to Purchase Navion or View 24D: need advice

Been camping for 38 years. Started with pop up, just sold our RV and truck last fall. Plan to buy a 2019 Winnebago Navion 24D soon, then tour the country while visiting our kids on the way.

After some research, have some concerns, and am hoping to get some help:
1. Heard that maintenance of MB engine can be expensive: knock detectors, etc. go bad?
2. Heard complaints about unit not level: Hard to sleep, cook, etc. am considering installing an automatic Bigfoot hydraulic leveling system to totally resolve that issue. We live in West Virginia where our favorite campground (Holly River State Park) had very unlevel campsites.

Any comments, suggestions, etc?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2019, 10:29 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Phil! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Sorry but I don't know anything about that rig! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:27 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the upcoming new rig.

You are joining a good group of folks here with good info to share. We had a sprinter (Isata3 and very similar to your navion). In the 18 months we owned it we never had a problem with the spirinter. Yes up keep can be expensive. Our oil change was $150.

Enjoy the adventure.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 10:33 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Hi Phil, looks like we are looking at the same 24D coach, pretty exciting stuff! Are you going to wait until they start to build on the new Sprinter chassis with the 7 speed trans and the many new safety features? My local dealer said Winnebago will up the price for the new chassis by $10K but I think it's worth it...although other mfg's I hear are only upping the price by $7K.
Lou D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:19 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 01:54 PM   #6

We just bought a Navion 24D two weeks ago. Took it out for a 4 day trip already. We left in a windy rainy storm to drive 180 miles to the North coast of Calif from Sacramento. I drove in wind, rain, hills, winding twisting roads, Highway 1 through Jenner, Ft Bragg, and Mendocino. Had plenty of freeway miles as well.

I experienced NONE of the issues lots of people seem to freak out about like trucks pushing me around or difficult to handle on winding roads or windy conditions. I think those folks have just never driven a truck or van maybe???

EVERY system worked perfectly, it was VERY comfortable in that Murphy bed. The stove worked perfect as did the Convection /Microwave. This plan has hands down the MOST counterspace of ANY class C I looked at and I looked at in person or on line at every one I could find. Tons of interior storage space too. The tankless water heater is awesome, never run out of hot water (as long as you are hooked to land line anyway). To top it all off I got 14.7 MPG on a brand new rig. I think that will improve as I learn the vehicle and how to be efficient while driving.
Obviously I have not had any service yet but I can say I went to a local truck tire shop I have used for other vehicles and they do alignments on these rigs for $89.00. Can't say what you might find in your area. i did read the Mercedes Warranty and it does NOT say if someone OTHER THAN Mercedes does the maint like oil changes and alignments that it would void the warranty!

All in all, I don't know how I could be happier with this purchase and I researched for about 5 months, reading forums.
Enjoy your rig!!!!!! Great choice.

One other thing, the auto levelers will add significant weight..several hundred pounds. This rig gives you 1128 lbs of cargo capacity not counting a full tank of water (228 lbs) by the time you add the levelers and account for you and the wife you would be getting close to foil blankets and top ramen...joking about the food but you get what I'm saying. I bought LevelMate Pro. $140 and an easy set up. Once you get to your parking space you turn it on and it tells you how many inches which wheel needs to come up to be level. Easy Peasy!
Old 01-17-2019, 06:36 AM   #7

Thanks! Still going to shows and looking. Especially thanks for the LevelMate Pro idea! I will definitely look into that!
Old 01-17-2019, 06:48 AM   #8

Florida Cooters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
We just added levelers to our Entegra Qwest 24L, and were surprised at the limited range they had. Haven't used it yet, but tested at the dealer, and what seemed like a relatively level parking lot was beyond the limits of the levelers, without using any blocking under the jacks. We'll see how it goes this spring when we get into regular use.
gzvette61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 02:42 PM   #9

We bought a 2018 Navion last summer. Live in Portland, OR, but bought in Springfield, MO due to availability and great pricing. We took 2+ weeks and 4500+ miles driving back. We had no issues with engine, heavy buffeting, etc. Drove on a lot of freeway but also a lot of 2 lane highway through many mountain passes and no real issues at all. It's not a Porsche, but frequently traveled at 70+ on Highways. We were slower up big (over 8,000 foot elevation passes to be expected, IMO).
As far as leveling, we found some terrible spots, one was 19" off front to back in Grand Canyon. Had the campground move us. We use leveling blocks and a drive up 3 level ramp for leveling. Use a couple of apps on the phone, Truma and RV Level and they work pretty well. Since it has a compressor fridge, there is no issue with he fridge having to be level. I have a friend who killed a propane fridge after less than 6 months by not being level. Even when not perfectly level we slept like babies on the Murphy bed. Mattress is very comfortable. I agree with the comment about counter space, best we found in a Class C. Also enjoy the openness of the layout when the bed is up, which is at all times except when we're sleeping.
So far we are very pleased, would buy it again.
We've now acquired a 2019 Cherokee with he Active Drive II so we can flat tow it. If anyone else is towing a Cherokee with their View or Navion would love to hear about your setup.
Good luck with your shopping!
PDXDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 08:38 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epferber View Post
Been camping for 38 years. Started with pop up, just sold our RV and truck last fall. Plan to buy a 2019 Winnebago Navion 24D soon, then tour the country while visiting our kids on the way.

1. Heard that maintenance of MB engine can be expensive: knock detectors, etc. go bad?These can cause problems on much older units.
Very uncommon on new ones and they are covered under the emissions warranty - 5 to 7 years depending on where you buy it.

2. Heard complaints about unit not level: Hard to sleep, cook, etc. am considering installing an automatic Bigfoot hydraulic leveling system to totally resolve that issue. We live in West Virginia where our favorite campground (Holly River State Park) had very unlevel campsites. You are probably better off with a LevelMate Pro and a couple of sets of lego block levelers. Much lighter (and cheaper) then a set of hydraulic levelers.

We have camped all over the place in our Navion and have not experienced anything like you are concerned with. State parks have some very unlevel sites but also some acceptably level ones. Since you have a favorite park, take a tour a figure out which sites are more level than others.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 09:46 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epferber View Post

1. Heard that maintenance of MB engine can be expensive: knock detectors, etc. go bad?

2. Heard complaints about unit not level: Hard to sleep, cook, etc. am considering installing an automatic Bigfoot hydraulic leveling system to totally resolve that issue. We live in West Virginia where our favorite campground (Holly River State Park) had very unlevel campsites.

We bought a 2019 View 24D in December and have been staying in state parks. We don’t bother to level. Only one site was un-level enough to make us laugh, but we slept fine in the very comfortable Murphy bed. I wouldn’t waste any money on a leveling system, especially given the weight it adds to the coach. The 24D has great storage space and kitchen space.
WhidbeyRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 07:41 AM   #12

Send a message via ICQ to BrianCindy Send a message via AIM to BrianCindy Send a message via Yahoo to BrianCindy Send a message via Skype™ to BrianCindy
In a quandry about the View 24D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou D View Post
Hi Phil, looks like we are looking at the same 24D coach, pretty exciting stuff! Are you going to wait until they start to build on the new Sprinter chassis with the 7 speed trans and the many new safety features? My local dealer said Winnebago will up the price for the new chassis by $10K but I think it's worth it...although other mfg's I hear are only upping the price by $7K.
Lou,

We thought we were in the final stages of a 2019 24D - however with Refrigerator issues (Norcold)/Battery/CCC/Propane vs Diesel Gen/ the list goes on., we are becoming hesitant. These are huge issues in our minds.

Read about the 7 spd tranny and that got my attention. Smoother shifting and less hunting on the grades. Test drove a 2019 and didn't have any issues but still like the idea of the 7 spd.

In your search for the 24D what other considerations did you have in the selection?

We have a F350 Dually and Bigfoot 3000. Been in it for 20 years and just love it but are considering a more "civilized" way of seeing the country and besides, now we can take the critters with us (two parrots who will sleep in the forward bunk)

Thanks.

Brian
BrianCindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 07:59 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianCindy View Post
Lou,

We thought we were in the final stages of a 2019 24D - however with Refrigerator issues (Norcold)/Battery/CCC/Propane vs Diesel Gen/ the list goes on., we are becoming hesitant. These are huge issues in our minds.
Benn out a couple of times now with my 24D. ZERO issues with ANY of these things. Spent a week boondocking in Quartzite and other than me just getting to know the systems, EVERYTHING worked great, including the Solar charging system. I actually ran my generator in the mornings to give the batteries a boost while waiting on sunshine but I really could have gotten away without. Refer maintained -4 freezer and 35-39 refer temps. I have a diesel genset. LP will take MORE fuel to generate the same power the diesel does. You have much more diesel than you do propane.
Read about the 7 spd tranny and that got my attention. Smoother shifting and less hunting on the grades. Test drove a 2019 and didn't have any issues but still like the idea of the 7 spd. 5speed was awesome, got 15.7 mpg over 1400 mile trip. No TOAD yet. Pulled hills like they weren't there. I have an 8 speed in my 18 RAM and it is a fantastic transmission. I recently got 20mpg over a 4400 mile trip in that truck (5.7) so I imagine the 7 speed will improve efficiency as well as performance.

In your search for the 24D what other considerations did you have in the selection? COUNTERSPACE!!! No other class C that I looked had came anywhere close to the NavionD. and Storage! Way more than you will really need. CCC is 1128 lbs (not including water) on my 24d. The Tiffins are way less than that!. I am pretrty sure this is the highest if not the top 3 WB designs on a C . That Murphy bed is simply amazing too!

We have a F350 Dually and Bigfoot 3000. Been in it for 20 years and just love it but are considering a more "civilized" way of seeing the country and besides, now we can take the critters with us (two parrots who will sleep in the forward bunk)

Thanks.

Brian

I have also read where the new Sprinter chassis has a speed limiter??? I could have been confused about 2 different models though. There is a thread I believe on this site somewhere about it, if not here the WB site is where I would have seen that post.
Old 02-05-2019, 06:38 PM   #14

I own a 15 ViewG. My experience would be. Put your stuff you want, then get it weighed. Next an Alinement. The tires are hard to check, I got Borg metal extenders. I did not like driving it so over time I added Sumo springs, Hellwig swaybar, then Fox rear shocks from Agile Off Road. Now it's good.
Put HWH Levelers on it, I keep mine within weight.

Tags
advice, purchase