Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2020, 07:26 AM   #1

Recommendations on refreshing basement air 2005 Journey 36G

Going to be pulling out the AC for some work (compressor #2 doesn't turn on, probably start capacitor and there is a rattling sound when running). Have downloaded Duners procedure. Would like to do this once and not have to pull it out again for something else in a few years. Plan on replacing all the capacitors, fans and the bronze bushings with sealed bearings. Is there anything else you would recommend replacing while it is out?
neub is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2020, 09:22 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
New fan squirrel cages also.
Old 06-10-2020, 09:41 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
When I did mine, I replaced the screws for the duct. They were phillips & loaded with sealant. While unit was out, I painted the frame. Not much else other than what Duner did. Easy job but a pain to remove the sealant. Be sure everything is tight so no rattles.
Tom 07 Pacifica
TOM356C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 11:10 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Camarillo, CA ---Back in the house after 7 yrs fulltiming
You'll probably need to replace the foam seals around the intake vent. I never replaced the metal indoor blower squirrel cage and it's been fine for 16.5 years now.
Good luck,
Bill
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 04:05 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I thot about "refreshing" my 15 yr old Coleman basement in our 05 38J until after we arrived at our summer home in Florida and determined No. 2 compressor was shot, and the inside fan had failed. At this point, repair and replace was trumped by replacing the entire unit. The point being we had another comp. and another fan with a dubious lifespan. I'm curious, how did your "refresher go." The rattling sound in mine was from the flimsy structure of the inside fan cage that my EXCELLENT mobile RV tech fixed. Also, from watching him closely, and listening, I feel confident I can drop the unit if necessary - but that's what warranties are for. I love that central air - one of the reasons the 38J is our LAST MH!
groundpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 05:17 PM   #6

I had some acoustical mat left over from another project so I lined as much of the of the compressor compartment as I could, then the outside by the compressors. Before i put it back in the cradle I did the ceiling of the nook the unit fits into. The unit was never really noisey but now it’s very quiet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E45433CD-F2CD-4EA3-9AC0-DEE9675EDC42.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	384.8 KB
ID:	292812   Click image for larger version

Name:	99E762C1-D067-49E3-9C50-5CB217BC7119.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	424.5 KB
ID:	292813  

JaminSamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 11:36 AM   #7

Refreshing went easier than thought the only pain is getting the screws out of the cold air return...have to use a phillips bit and a litle open end rachet to get them out/in. Needed to replace #2 compressor, would have just put a new one in but there is no direct fit for the 6535. Rv tech here abc bus company said he has done a couple conversions but between the new unit and labor fabricating new ductwork i would be looking at around 4500 so I replaced the #2 compressor and since everything else is freshened up worse case would be if the #1 compressor goes out in the future.
neub is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, journey